CCN or Duke? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

CCN or Duke?

CCN $
95%
Duke $$
5%

Total votes: 56

ohiodem

New

CCN or Duke?

Post by ohiodem » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:07 pm

Caught between two great options: a CCN school offering about ----- and Duke offering about ----- (give or take). Here are some factors to take into account:

1. Have always wanted to live in a big city for a few years out of undergrad.
2. Interested in international PI (human rights/humanitarian/war crimes/diplomatic policy). Know how tough these jobs are to get, so Duke's lower prestige is a consideration.
3. Possibly interested in academia down the road, but not necesarily law academia.
4. The CCN in question has a great area studies department for the area I'd want to work with if I end up working on diplomatic policy down the road, possible dual degree (JD/MA)?
5. The CCN was my dream school during the application process.
6. Strength of LRAP isn't a huge concern; plan on working biglaw for a few years anyway after graduation.

Basically, looking for someone to tell me to swallow the $25,000+COL (even though this means in real terms that Duke roughly doubled the CCN scholarship). Am I crazy for taking on the debt?
Last edited by ohiodem on Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.

toolshed

Bronze

Re: CCN or Duke?

Post by toolshed » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:09 pm

No, you aren't crazy. HTH.

Edited for clarity.

Edited X2 to laugh at the word "swallow".

JollyGreenGiant

Silver

Post by JollyGreenGiant » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:00 pm

Well, look at it this way. Are you going to be completely happy knowing you turned down your "dream school" for $15,000?

Also, how much do you think $15k will affect you in the long-term?

GeePee

Silver

Post by GeePee » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:07 pm

Every one of your pieces of information was presented in such a way that it put the CCN school in a better light. With only 20k difference in scholarship grants you're likely to have a higher expectation on your financial situation out of the CCN school anyway.

Follow the dream!
Last edited by GeePee on Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

soullesswonder

Silver

Post by soullesswonder » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:10 pm

I think Duke is a great school, and I may find myself facing a similar decision soon, but for you I see no reason to take the extra money here. Enjoy Columbia.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Ragged

Silver

Post by Ragged » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:19 pm

I would listen to Dr.House if I were you and would run with Columbia. I only wish I had a choice like that.

worldwithoutend

New

Post by worldwithoutend » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:25 pm

Ragged wrote:I would listen to Dr.House if I were you and would run with Columbia. I only wish I had a choice like that.
This sounds right to me.

Ragged, I looked at your LSN profile, and except for the fact that I didn't apply to Stanford, our cycles are identical.

Ragged

Silver

Post by Ragged » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:33 pm

worldwithoutend wrote:
Ragged wrote:I would listen to Dr.House if I were you and would run with Columbia. I only wish I had a choice like that.
This sounds right to me.

Ragged, I looked at your LSN profile, and except for the fact that I didn't apply to Stanford, our cycles are identical.
I'm sorry you have such a shitty cycle then. :lol:

worldwithoutend

New

Post by worldwithoutend » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:40 pm

Ragged wrote:
worldwithoutend wrote:
This sounds right to me.

Hey, it could be worse. I actually came to really like Duke, which is fortunate, because I might not have much choice.

And, who knows, those holds at Columbia could turn in our favor.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Ragged

Silver

Post by Ragged » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:42 pm

worldwithoutend wrote:
Ragged wrote:
worldwithoutend wrote:
This sounds right to me.

Hey, it could be worse. I actually came to really like Duke, which is fortunate, because I might not have much choice.

And, who knows, those holds at Columbia could turn in our favor.
Yea, who knows, they might also offer us full scholarships. :wink:

soullesswonder

Silver

Post by soullesswonder » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:52 pm

:lol: I don't actually know that OP is referencing Columbia...I just know that high COL = NYC and that Columbia has its own School of International and Public Affairs

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:19 pm

You know the answer to this. :) Points 1-6 above indicate that you know you want to go to CCN, and $15,000/COL really isn't that much, especially since you plan on biglaw. $60,000 is an amazing scholarship for CCN, it's a wonderful offer, and - in my humble opinion - you'd be crazy not to take it, given your preferences/interests. You don't want to end up regretting not choosing your dream school for such a small price as this.

DallasCowboy

Silver

Post by DallasCowboy » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:22 pm

You sound like me. We both know where we want to go but need encouragement to make the leap financially.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

worldwithoutend

New

Post by worldwithoutend » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:25 pm

Yeah, Yeah, I think OP has his answer. Can Ragged and I get back to griping, now?

In all seriousness, go for CCN, and congratulations.

ohiodem

New

Post by ohiodem » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:34 pm

Hey everyone thanks for the responses...and for choosing the school that I pretty obviously wanted you to. Good luck to everyone in closing out this year's cycle!

Antipodean

Bronze

Post by Antipodean » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:01 am

ohiodem wrote:Hey everyone thanks for the responses...and for choosing the school that I pretty obviously wanted you to. Good luck to everyone in closing out this year's cycle!
You made the right choice. Be sure to drop by the Columbia thread in the "Discuss Your Law School" forum if you have any questions; a bunch of us 1Ls have been chipping in with answers.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”