Impressions of NYU, Penn, and Chicago

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

where should i go?

chicago
14
36%
nyu
6
15%
penn
19
49%
 
Total votes: 39

User avatar
tintin
Posts: 952
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:26 am

Re: Impressions of NYU, Penn, and Chicago

Postby tintin » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:11 pm

ravens20 wrote:Tintin (great screen name btw),

You might have picked the wrong day to attend NYU's ASW. On Friday there were faculty meetings, public interest panel, clerkship panels, partners at Watchtell/Cravath/etc, and an awesome judges panel. It was more formal and the Dean gave a great intro. Plus they actually gave tours of the campus (instead of that ridiculous Village tour).

That being said, you have to go where you are going to be happy. If you really didn't like New York City and feel that you won't be happy there, then you shouldn't go to NYU. It isn't just about job opportunities - this decision determines where you are going to be spending three years of your life.


yeah, i think the problem is that i would be unhappy living in NYC, i don't think i could ever relax there....

krogers
Posts: 55
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:38 am

Re: Impressions of NYU, Penn, and Chicago

Postby krogers » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:14 pm

i think it's kind of silly that you're assuming the penn panels were great, despite your missing them, and you're not making the same assumption for nyu, despite the fact that you missed their panels too.

but all in all, i think it's impotrtant to go where you feel comfortable, unless money is involved. this whole pi=nyu thing is a self-perpetuating myth. you can go into pi easily from penn as well. it wont be as easy as nyu, maybe, because there might be a more dedicated program for that. but if you put in initiative at penn, youll find something. it's not like the school name will hold you back.

ToTransferOrNot
Posts: 1928
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:45 am

Re: Impressions of NYU, Penn, and Chicago

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:17 pm

krogers wrote:i think it's kind of silly that you're assuming the penn panels were great, despite your missing them, and you're not making the same assumption for nyu, despite the fact that you missed their panels too.

but all in all, i think it's impotrtant to go where you feel comfortable, unless money is involved. this whole pi=nyu thing is a self-perpetuating myth. you can go into pi easily from penn as well. it wont be as easy as nyu, maybe, because there might be a more dedicated program for that. but if you put in initiative at penn, youll find something. it's not like the school name will hold you back.


The superiority of NYU's LRAP program isn't a myth. Of course, OP is lucky enough to not have to consider that--although I would think that most people would still consider the financial aspect, even though mommy and daddy are footing most of the bill.

krogers
Posts: 55
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:38 am

Re: Impressions of NYU, Penn, and Chicago

Postby krogers » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:19 pm

actually thats a fair point. since im going into biglaw, ive never really considered the differences in lrap programs. but ive heard great things about nyu's, and that can definitely make a difference.

my bad.

but hmmm... yeah id bite the bullet and go to nyu then :lol:

User avatar
BlueCivic
Posts: 169
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:59 pm

Re: Impressions of NYU, Penn, and Chicago

Postby BlueCivic » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:37 pm

I really LIKE the Chicago building architecture. I think it's cool.

That's all.

User avatar
echoi
Posts: 144
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:15 pm

Re: Impressions of NYU, Penn, and Chicago

Postby echoi » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:50 pm

BlueCivic wrote:I really LIKE the Chicago building architecture. I think it's cool.

That's all.


haha, i thought i was the only one.

User avatar
BlueCivic
Posts: 169
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:59 pm

Re: Impressions of NYU, Penn, and Chicago

Postby BlueCivic » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:02 am

Also, OP:

It seems like NYU might be best for your interests--if you are into progressive politics, etc.

I would suggest that you check out something called Brooklyn. You can easily commute (20 minutes or so) from there to NYU law school. It's my favorite place in the world and is much less rushed and crowded than the village.

Otherwise, it seems like you like Penn so maybe go there. As long as you aren't set on clerkships/academia it probably doesn't matter if you go there or Chicago.

And Chicago's a super cool place. Good intellectual environment and Hyde Park is underrated. Plus you can live anywhere in Chicago, which is an amazing city (but not New York, of course).

So, OP, you are in good shape no matter what. Weigh your professional options and if they are about equal (which seems likely) pick where you will be happiest to live and study for 3 years.

ToTransferOrNot
Posts: 1928
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:45 am

Re: Impressions of NYU, Penn, and Chicago

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:06 am

BlueCivic wrote:Also, OP:

It seems like NYU might be best for your interests--if you are into progressive politics, etc.

I would suggest that you check out something called Brooklyn. You can easily commute (20 minutes or so) from there to NYU law school. It's my favorite place in the world and is much less rushed and crowded than the village.

Otherwise, it seems like you like Penn so maybe go there. As long as you aren't set on clerkships/academia it probably doesn't matter if you go there or Chicago.

And Chicago's a super cool place. Good intellectual environment[strike]and Hyde Park is underrated[/strike]. Plus you can live anywhere in Chicago, which is an amazing city (but not New York, of course).

So, OP, you are in good shape no matter what. Weigh your professional options and if they are about equal (which seems likely) pick where you will be happiest to live and study for 3 years.


Just to clarify: There is absolutely nothing good about Hyde Park. No good bars. No good grocery stores. Takes almost an hour to get to Lincoln Park via public transit. Blagh.

User avatar
BlueCivic
Posts: 169
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:59 pm

Re: Impressions of NYU, Penn, and Chicago

Postby BlueCivic » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:10 am

ToTransferOrNot wrote:
BlueCivic wrote:Also, OP:

It seems like NYU might be best for your interests--if you are into progressive politics, etc.

I would suggest that you check out something called Brooklyn. You can easily commute (20 minutes or so) from there to NYU law school. It's my favorite place in the world and is much less rushed and crowded than the village.

Otherwise, it seems like you like Penn so maybe go there. As long as you aren't set on clerkships/academia it probably doesn't matter if you go there or Chicago.

And Chicago's a super cool place. Good intellectual environment[strike]and Hyde Park is underrated[/strike]. Plus you can live anywhere in Chicago, which is an amazing city (but not New York, of course).

So, OP, you are in good shape no matter what. Weigh your professional options and if they are about equal (which seems likely) pick where you will be happiest to live and study for 3 years.


Just to clarify: There is absolutely nothing good about Hyde Park. No good bars. No good grocery stores. Takes almost an hour to get to Lincoln Park via public transit. Blagh.


Theres that cool Frank Gehry house. Plus Regents is very nice and has a view of the lake. Plus the lake! Also if you have a car you can get on Lake Shore Drive and be anywhere in the city fairly quickly. Ummm....plus.....i dunno.....its fine...comeon....

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: Impressions of NYU, Penn, and Chicago

Postby im_blue » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:12 am

tintin wrote:That is why I think Chicago might be a good choice, because it seems more livable to me but with the same caliber of academics. I want to keep academia at least somewhat on the table as an option too which Chicago has the edge in.


For this reason alone, you should suck it up and go to Chicago. Or NYU if you decide on PI. Penn won't take you as far in those two areas, but it looks like that's your favorite location. Tough choices indeed...

ToTransferOrNot
Posts: 1928
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:45 am

Re: Impressions of NYU, Penn, and Chicago

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:35 am

ToTransferOrNot wrote:
Just to clarify: There is absolutely nothing good about Hyde Park. No good bars. No good grocery stores. Takes almost an hour to get to Lincoln Park via public transit. Blagh.


BlueCivic wrote: Theres that cool Frank Gehry house. Plus Regents is very nice and has a view of the lake. Plus the lake! Also if you have a car you can get on Lake Shore Drive and be anywhere in the city fairly quickly. Ummm....plus.....i dunno.....its fine...comeon....


Having to resort to a car--when you're living in a building that charges well over $100 a month for parking--to get anywhere in the city (also while being charged an insane amount for parking) = not a good argument:/

Also, Regents is incredibly overrated and expensive.

Besides, it isn't like having a car is a solution when you're talking about going out drinking.

The lack of an affordable grocery store and any decent bars in Hyde Park is just murder. I'll grant that being close to the lake is nice, though.

User avatar
BlueCivic
Posts: 169
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:59 pm

Re: Impressions of NYU, Penn, and Chicago

Postby BlueCivic » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:38 am

ToTransferOrNot wrote:
ToTransferOrNot wrote:
Just to clarify: There is absolutely nothing good about Hyde Park. No good bars. No good grocery stores. Takes almost an hour to get to Lincoln Park via public transit. Blagh.


BlueCivic wrote: Theres that cool Frank Gehry house. Plus Regents is very nice and has a view of the lake. Plus the lake! Also if you have a car you can get on Lake Shore Drive and be anywhere in the city fairly quickly. Ummm....plus.....i dunno.....its fine...comeon....


Having to resort to a car--when you're living in a building that charges well over $100 a month for parking--to get anywhere in the city (also while being charged an insane amount for parking) = not a good argument:/

Also, Regents is incredibly overrated and expensive.

Besides, it isn't like having a car is a solution when you're talking about going out drinking.

The lack of an affordable grocery store and any decent bars in Hyde Park is just murder. I'll grant that being close to the lake is nice, though.


Sure. I'll grant all your arguments. I still think Regents is pretty nice. And cabbing back from the city isn't the end of the world. I don't go to UofC btw. I just know the area pretty well. So if you go there you are in a better position to judge.

ToTransferOrNot
Posts: 1928
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:45 am

Re: Impressions of NYU, Penn, and Chicago

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:42 am

Yeah... I'm posting this from my apartment in Regents as we speak. Well, not really "as we speak," because the internet connection in this god-forsaken building is something out of 1990 (I seriously have connection speeds under 50k, at times).

The only full-size grocery store in Hyde Park is Treasure Island, which is Whole Foods+ as far as price goes, but not organic. Hyde Park Produce is OK for produce, but chicken breat will run you $6.50 a pound there. Finally, there's PeaPod... Treasure Island+ on cost, + a delivery fee and tip (and the tip is pretty substantial, when you consider that ordering any less than $100 a shot from Peapod is stupid) to boot.

Admittedly though, I'll probably never adjust to the CoL in a big city in general. I grew up in Madison and did undergrad in Milwaukee--the whole "$100+/month for parking in your $800/month apartment and $30 per night to park anywhere" schtick really sucks.

User avatar
BlueCivic
Posts: 169
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:59 pm

Re: Impressions of NYU, Penn, and Chicago

Postby BlueCivic » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:51 am

ToTransferOrNot wrote:Yeah... I'm posting this from my apartment in Regents as we speak. Well, not really "as we speak," because the internet connection in this god-forsaken building is something out of 1990 (I seriously have connection speeds under 50k, at times).

The only full-size grocery store in Hyde Park is Treasure Island, which is Whole Foods+ as far as price goes, but not organic. Hyde Park Produce is OK for produce, but chicken breat will run you $6.50 a pound there. Finally, there's PeaPod... Treasure Island+ on cost, + a delivery fee and tip (and the tip is pretty substantial, when you consider that ordering any less than $100 a shot from Peapod is stupid) to boot.

Admittedly though, I'll probably never adjust to the CoL in a big city in general. I grew up in Madison and did undergrad in Milwaukee--the whole "$100+/month for parking in your $800/month apartment and $30 per night to park anywhere" schtick really sucks.


Yeah dude and Chicago is not really a bad big city in terms of COL. I live in DC and am going to HLS where COL is equal. I don't really know of life outside of paying 1k+ for your rent.

Edit: for spelling

ToTransferOrNot
Posts: 1928
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:45 am

Re: Impressions of NYU, Penn, and Chicago

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:55 am

BlueCivic wrote:
ToTransferOrNot wrote:Yeah... I'm posting this from my apartment in Regents as we speak. Well, not really "as we speak," because the internet connection in this god-forsaken building is something out of 1990 (I seriously have connection speeds under 50k, at times).

The only full-size grocery store in Hyde Park is Treasure Island, which is Whole Foods+ as far as price goes, but not organic. Hyde Park Produce is OK for produce, but chicken breat will run you $6.50 a pound there. Finally, there's PeaPod... Treasure Island+ on cost, + a delivery fee and tip (and the tip is pretty substantial, when you consider that ordering any less than $100 a shot from Peapod is stupid) to boot.

Admittedly though, I'll probably never adjust to the CoL in a big city in general. I grew up in Madison and did undergrad in Milwaukee--the whole "$100+/month for parking in your $800/month apartment and $30 per night to park anywhere" schtick really sucks.


Yeah dude and Chicago is not really a bad big city in terms of COL. I live in DC and am going to HLS where COL is equal. I don't really know of life outside of paying 1k+ for your rent.

Edit: for spelling


/vomit

Well, my $800 is with a roommate. I will just never live in a one-bedroom (unless with a significant other)--there is no way in hell I am paying over $1k a month for rent. F that.

Sorry for the derail, OP.

spondee
Posts: 462
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:53 pm

Re: Impressions of NYU, Penn, and Chicago

Postby spondee » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:58 am

tintin wrote:
ravens20 wrote:Tintin (great screen name btw),

You might have picked the wrong day to attend NYU's ASW. On Friday there were faculty meetings, public interest panel, clerkship panels, partners at Watchtell/Cravath/etc, and an awesome judges panel. It was more formal and the Dean gave a great intro. Plus they actually gave tours of the campus (instead of that ridiculous Village tour).

That being said, you have to go where you are going to be happy. If you really didn't like New York City and feel that you won't be happy there, then you shouldn't go to NYU. It isn't just about job opportunities - this decision determines where you are going to be spending three years of your life.


yeah, i think the problem is that i would be unhappy living in NYC, i don't think i could ever relax there....


The part of the Village that surrounds NYU is a little bit undergrad and a little bit trashy and a little bit self-involved. If you haven't spent much time in NYC and have another opportunity to visit to explore other parts of the city, maybe consider doing so? You can live away from campus in a neighborhood that feels like a neighborhood and still get to class in 20 minutes or less.

But if you're sure you prefer Penn you should go there. Just don't scratch off NYU because you didn't like the few blocks that surround the law buildings. They're some of the least NYC blocks in the city because of the NYU students. And, at least in comparison to Hyde Park, you can walk to better neighborhoods in less time than it'll take in Chicago via train or bus.

motiontodismiss
Posts: 870
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:36 pm

Re: Impressions of NYU, Penn, and Chicago

Postby motiontodismiss » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:23 am

echoi wrote:
BlueCivic wrote:I really LIKE the Chicago building architecture. I think it's cool.

That's all.


haha, i thought i was the only one.


Nope, I think it's pretty cool too.

When you visit a school, sometimes right when you walk in you'll feel right at home. Look for that feeling.

User avatar
tintin
Posts: 952
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:26 am

Re: Impressions of NYU, Penn, and Chicago

Postby tintin » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:00 pm

motiontodismiss wrote:
Nope, I think it's pretty cool too.

When you visit a school, sometimes right when you walk in you'll feel right at home. Look for that feeling.


unfortunately that was the feeling i got at penn!

hahaha

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: Impressions of NYU, Penn, and Chicago

Postby Veyron » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:48 pm

-

motiontodismiss
Posts: 870
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:36 pm

Re: Impressions of NYU, Penn, and Chicago

Postby motiontodismiss » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:19 am

tintin wrote:
motiontodismiss wrote:
Nope, I think it's pretty cool too.

When you visit a school, sometimes right when you walk in you'll feel right at home. Look for that feeling.


unfortunately that was the feeling i got at penn!

hahaha


What's wrong with Penn? 8) 8) 8) 8) They got a nice campus :D and everyone seems to be generally happy.

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: Impressions of NYU, Penn, and Chicago

Postby Veyron » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:18 pm

^ Not T-6 :evil:

sophie316
Posts: 374
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:08 pm

Re: Impressions of NYU, Penn, and Chicago

Postby sophie316 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:59 pm

Go to Penn. If debt isn't an issue, go where you feel you'd be happiest. No point in wasting your father's money being miserable for 3 years and wishing you'd made another decision. Penn is an amazing school.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Impressions of NYU, Penn, and Chicago

Postby keg411 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:16 pm

sophie316 wrote:Go to Penn. If debt isn't an issue, go where you feel you'd be happiest. No point in wasting your father's money being miserable for 3 years and wishing you'd made another decision. Penn is an amazing school.


+1

I really think the differences between CCNMVPBDCN, in terms of opportunities, aren't so massive that it's worth going somewhere you would be unhappy.

ChaotiCait
Posts: 137
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:32 pm

Re: Impressions of NYU, Penn, and Chicago

Postby ChaotiCait » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:38 pm

I am also kind of scared of how intense the atmosphere at Chicago is supposed to be, especially since I've been at a state school for four years. However, my next choice is Cornell, so I'll probably be at Chicago no matter what :shock: if were all equally scared then we should be alright,. right?

User avatar
underachiever
Posts: 401
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:09 pm

Re: Impressions of NYU, Penn, and Chicago

Postby underachiever » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:49 pm

keg411 wrote:
sophie316 wrote:Go to Penn. If debt isn't an issue, go where you feel you'd be happiest. No point in wasting your father's money being miserable for 3 years and wishing you'd made another decision. Penn is an amazing school.


+1

I really think the differences between CCNMVPBDCN, in terms of opportunities, aren't so massive that it's worth going somewhere you would be unhappy.


I'm at Penn so I am biased but you really have 3 more years before starting a 40-80hr a week job/life style....enjoy these last years! And w/o worrying about debt, it makes even more sense to go with the school you felt most comfortable at.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 2 guests