Overrated schools

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Top14orGoHome

Overrated schools

Postby Top14orGoHome » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:56 am

Does anyone else here think that GW, Emory, BU, BC are a ripoff. I mean, how can someone pay that whole tuition? Even Georgetown is overrated in my book

dakatz

Re: Overrated schools

Postby dakatz » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:57 am

Top14orGoHome wrote:Does anyone else here think that GW, Emory, BU, BC are a ripoff. I mean, how can someone pay that whole tuition? Even Georgetown is overrated in my book

Then perhaps you should switch your username to Top13orGoHome...

Also, "overrated" and "overpriced" are two entirely different things

flyingpanda

Postby flyingpanda » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:31 am

Obvious april fools troll is obvious.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:35 am

I'm reasonably certain that BU/BC and Emory are the best values of the T-30. BU/BC are always top 10 for career prospects in the Princeton Review and Emory throws scholarship money at median candidates.

doinmybest

Postby doinmybest » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:15 am

Cupidity wrote:I'm reasonably certain that BU/BC and Emory are the best values of the T-30. BU/BC are always top 10 for career prospects in the Princeton Review and Emory throws scholarship money at median candidates.

Wait how is Emory a good value? They cut down their scholarship money significantly this year. Numbers that used to yield 90K now yield between 50-70K. They also don't place much better than UGA for more than twice the price (if you're a GA resident.)

leraa6587

Postby leraa6587 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:43 am

rando

Postby rando » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:06 am

doinmybest wrote:
Cupidity wrote:I'm reasonably certain that BU/BC and Emory are the best values of the T-30. BU/BC are always top 10 for career prospects in the Princeton Review and Emory throws scholarship money at median candidates.

Wait how is Emory a good value? They cut down their scholarship money significantly this year. Numbers that used to yield 90K now yield between 50-70K. They also don't place much better than UGA for more than twice the price (if you're a GA resident.)

Everyone cut down their scholarship money. Recesssssiiiioooon....

thickfreakness

Postby thickfreakness » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:14 am

doinmybest wrote:

Troof.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:07 am

Top14orGoHome wrote:Does anyone else here think that GW, Emory, BU, BC are a ripoff. I mean, how can someone pay that whole tuition? Even Georgetown is overrated in my book

I wouldn't pay full tuition at GW or Georgetown because I don't want to work in DC or NOVa but that's just me. (or Emory cause I wouldn't want GA)

Of those schools only Georgetown is overrated in the sense of rankings (maybe Emory too). I think Vandy, UT, USC, and UCLA out perform them.

UFMatt

Postby UFMatt » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:49 pm

There is a value in being located in DC, Boston, or Atlanta. It makes summer employment, networking, and flights around the country much easier. For those who are married, like myself, it is better to have a strong job market for a spouse too.

For example, I could go to UGA for ~$30k less than Emory, but if I lived in Athens I'd have to leave during the summer, and my wife would have a hard time finding employment. UGA is a better deal for some, but not all.

hannibalhamlin61

Postby hannibalhamlin61 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:56 pm

This seems like a targeted attack...Did they all reject you? I would probably start my tuition gripes with USC or Brooklyn law...

leraa6587

Postby leraa6587 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:43 pm

hannibalhamlin61 wrote:

This seems like a targeted attack...Did they all reject you? I would probably start my tuition gripes with USC or Brooklyn law...

Haha like!! I'm excited to move back to Atlanta!! Top 14 or go home? pleaaasssee since when can 14 schools produce enough (great) lawyers for this country? (what with the high suicide rates in the t14, then later in the top firms and all). Truthfully though, it is illogical to choose the bottom half of most t14's for jobs over the top 10-20% of the top 25 or 30. It's not like us T20's are going to florida coastal, we didn't just take the LSAT for the sake of taking it and get in. We do have some merit based accomplishments, believe it or not.

AllBusiness

Postby AllBusiness » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:55 pm

Questions: Where can I see these Princeton Review rankings, and how much credence should one give them? (Obviously, we all give much credence to the USNWR rankings.) Also, how much credence should one give to Brian Leiter's rankings?

rando

Postby rando » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:10 pm

AllBusiness wrote:

Questions: Where can I see these Princeton Review rankings, and how much credence should one give them? (Obviously, we all give much credence to the USNWR rankings.) Also, how much credence should one give to Brian Leiter's rankings?

Give credence to whatever you please. But USNWR gets cred here because employers give it cred. Which turns to a pretty nice correlation to job prospects. Leiter tends to give emphatic nuance to certain aspects of different rankings. E.g. academic publications/citations; biglaw firm placement etc. Princeton review? They don't give overall rankings; just niche aspects of law school life. And you can't see them unless you subscribe.

AllBusiness

Postby AllBusiness » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:15 pm

rando wrote:
AllBusiness wrote:

Give credence to whatever you please. But USNWR gets cred here because employers give it cred. Which turns to a pretty nice correlation to job prospects. Leiter tends to give emphatic nuance to certain aspects of different rankings. E.g. academic publications/citations; biglaw firm placement etc. Princeton review? They don't give overall rankings; just niche aspects of law school life. And you can't see them unless you subscribe.

Thanks. I'll take a closer look at Leiter's rankings sometime. I have at least a moderate amount of confidence in them if only for the reason that I kind of like Brian Leiter, at least his internet persona.

Does anyone know where I can score a pirated copy of the Princeton Review rankings? I'm talking about breaking the rules here.

rando

Postby rando » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:20 pm

AllBusiness wrote:
Thanks. I'll take a closer look at Leiter's rankings sometime. I have at least a moderate amount of confidence in them if only for the reason that I kind of like Brian Leiter, at least his internet persona.

Does anyone know where I can score a pirated copy of the Princeton Review rankings? I'm talking about breaking the rules here.

Leiter is legit. But is an academic. Take it fwiw. I wouldn't worry too much about PR rankings. It is based on student data. But it will give you an idea of what students think about the school

Hopefullawstudent

Postby Hopefullawstudent » Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:48 am

The T-14.

Rand M.

Postby Rand M. » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:41 am

rando wrote:
AllBusiness wrote:

Leiter is legit. But is an academic. Take it fwiw. I wouldn't worry too much about PR rankings. It is based on student data. But it will give you an idea of what students think about the school

+1 Leiter's numbers are solid for the most part, and when they are not he will tell you so and explain their shortcomings. Don't even waste time looking at the Princeton Review rankings. It could not be more useless. For instance in the "Best Career Prospects" ranking Yale and Columbia don't make the top-ten, but Boston U and Boston College are 6 and 7 respectively. Its one of those things where somebody throws together a list and five of the schools make sense and then they throw in a bunch of other random schools. The other categories they use to rank aren't even really all that relevant. Leiter's categories on the other hand are at least consequential.

TTH

Postby TTH » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:44 am

I'm shocked there isn't any anti-GULC/t13 trolling here.

My vote for overrated? Fordham and William and Mary.

narkizopoint

Postby narkizopoint » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:24 am

Rating schools is overrated.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”