txwes or stcl?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
amookam

txwes or stcl?

Postby amookam » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:17 am

i have a full time engineering job in Dallas. i have been admitted to both texas wesleyan and South texas( part time program).
i dont know where to go. i would like to stay in dallas, keep my job and then transfer to a better school like SMU.
but im afraid that i would get stuck with TEX WES and not ever transfer out.
i know STCL is a better school but is it worth me losing a pretty good job here in dallas?

najumobi

Re: txwes or stcl?

Postby najumobi » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:23 am

amookam wrote:i have a full time engineering job in Dallas. i have been admitted to both texas wesleyan and South texas( part time program).
i dont know where to go. i would like to stay in dallas, keep my job and then transfer to a better school like SMU.
i know STCL is a better school but is it worth me losing a pretty good job here in dallas?
no way. keep your job and go to wesleyan. what's wrong with being stuck there?
Last edited by najumobi on Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

danquayle

Postby danquayle » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:25 am

najumobi wrote:
amookam wrote:i have a full time engineering job in Dallas. i have been admitted to both texas wesleyan and South texas( part time program).
no way. keep your job and go to wesleyan.

Agreed, especially because you'd probably find your best opportunities in IP, which is one of the few legal fields where your prior non-legal work experience might be useful.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:26 am

What do you want to do with a law degree? Because neither of those schools are going to be terribly great.

I wouldn't count on being able to transfer to SMU. A better course of action might be to wait a year and re-take the LSAT to get a score that would put you in PT at SMU. Because if you want to stay in Dallas, SMU is the bee's knees.

amookam

Postby amookam » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:29 am

i have masters in structural engineering from SMU.
3.5 years expperience in construction. so i would be doing construction law.

i know tex wes might not be the best school but i think with my experience in the field i should have a lil advantage over some other kids.

i know i would be in top 10% or maybe even 5% at tex wes

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:31 am

No one can guarantee their class position.

Rock the LSAT and re-apply for SMU's PT program. SMU is so far over and above TxWes, it's not even funny.

And I almost never say re-take.

amookam

Postby amookam » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:33 am

im too old to wait one more year. i gotta go to law skool this year.

danquayle

Postby danquayle » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:35 am

amookam wrote:i have masters in structural engineering from SMU.
3.5 years expperience in construction. so i would be doing construction law.

i know tex wes might not be the best school but i think with my experience in the field i should have a lil advantage over some other kids.

i know i would be in top 10% or maybe even 5% at tex wes

You never never never know that. Law school grading is simply too capricious. You can maybe reasonably predict top half or top quarter, but not top 10% or top 5%.

Kalvano is right though, neither is a great option. You have a choice between (A) poor school without a job and (B) slightly poorer school with a job. Choose B. I don't think people account for how difficult it is to go back to your previous career if you abandon it for 3 years.

Going part time gives you the chance to pick up the degree and start using your connections in your field to get a job, while preserving a decent fallback. Going full time means you're fully committed, for good or for bad. The difference between Tex Wes and South Texas is not great enough to justify the difference in risk.
Last edited by danquayle on Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:36 am

Your call. If you choose to go, definitely go to TxWes. Don't give up the day job.

Too old though? 3.5 years of work, graduated at what, 23? So are you 27 or so? That's not too old at all.

amookam

Postby amookam » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:39 am

:cry:

so you guys are basically telling me that i shouldnt count on transferring out?
or i guess not to go there with the intention of transferring out?>

yeah im 26. thats pretty old i guess

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:43 am

Don't count on transferring out. You can try though.

And I'll be 30 when school starts. And if I were my age and in your shoes, I would still wait a year and go for the SMU PT program.

danquayle

Postby danquayle » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:44 am

amookam wrote::cry:

so you guys are basically telling me that i shouldnt count on transferring out?
or i guess not to go there with the intention of transferring out?>

yeah im 26. thats pretty old i guess

I had a 71 year old in my 1L class. No, 26 is probably right around mean, if not median, for many law schools.

Yes, just don't go with the intention of transferring out. Its entirely possible, especially since Tex Wes to SMU isn't ridiculous. Just don't plan on it... work out 4 year plan that presumes you'll be at Tex Wes for those 4 years, and that you'll graduate with job opportunities like those at Tex Wes. That way, a transfer would just be a bonus. I've seen far too many people start off law school with their head in the clouds over transferring, only to fall into bitter pessimism and negativity once they realize thats not possible. Obviously, bitter pessimism and negativity don't exactly help in job hunting.

danquayle

Postby danquayle » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:46 am

kalvano wrote:Don't count on transferring out. You can try though.

And I'll be 30 when school starts. And if I were my age and in your shoes, I would still wait a year and go for the SMU PT program.

Also a solid option. Its not like you'd just be drifting around for that extra year scrambling to find something to do like a lot of retakers do. You'd still be earning money and experience. But again, don't count on a drastic increase in LSAT score either. (Though I'd wager its far easier to bump up your LSAT a few points than finish in the top 5% anywhere.)

squ1rtle

Postby squ1rtle » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:51 am

not too late to apply PT to UH. (one of the top ranked IP programs)

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:52 am

It's probably easier to study for the LSAT than it is to transfer.

Dallas is such a unique market in that it's a huge legal market with a pretty good economy in all things, and it only has one law school, really. One.

Look at all the other major metro areas and count the amount of law schools, or even just good law schools. It's nuts.

If you know you want to work in Dallas, it seems like a waste to go to TxWes.

amookam

Postby amookam » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:56 am

first of all thanks alot for your responses.

ok let me ask you guys something else. is it better to be in the top 10 percent of a school like Wes or bottom 50 of a better school like SMU?

i dont have a bad LSAT im not that out of range of SMU its my undergrad GPA that is my problem and unfortunately thats not fixable. thats why i dont wanna wait another year.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:58 am

What are your stats? Don't be shy. It will help everyone else in advising.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:59 am

How can you say you are smart enough to be top 10% at a TTT when you can't even get the ~157 or whatever LSAT you need for SMU PT?

26 is not that old. I started law school at 25 and there are a lot of people there older than me. Do yourself a TREMENDOUS favor and take an LSAT class and get into SMU part-time. I find it ridiculous that a SMU engineer is willing to settle for these terrible schools.

amookam

Postby amookam » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:04 am

2.5 undergrad
3.5 grad

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:05 am

Raise your LSAT by 5-7 points and you should have a good shot at SMU PT.

Take a tutoring class, or study up on the Powerscore Bibles.

It's really, really worth it in this case.

You're not super far away from what you need. It's definitely a jump that's feasible.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:09 am

kalvano wrote:Raise your LSAT by 5-7 points and you should have a good shot at SMU PT.

Take a tutoring class, or study up on the Powerscore Bibles.

It's really, really worth it in this case.

You're not super far away from what you need. It's definitely a jump that's feasible.

Do this. If you fail to get into SMU you should probably reconsider law school.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:18 am

You are NOT too old. Average age at most law schools is in the mid-20s. Seriously, you'd be shocked at how many 30- and 40-somethings I've met at ASDs. You are not even close to too old for law school.

Study your ass off and re-take. Go to SMU PT.

PS. Go Cowboys.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:24 am

Go Stars.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”