Illinois v Case Western v Wash and Lee

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
haveacigar

Illinois v Case Western v Wash and Lee

Postby haveacigar » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:43 pm

Choices:

Illinois Law is giving me $20K a year
Case Western will give me $30K a year
Washington and Lee will give me $17K a year
(I also got into George Washington to pay sticker, but that isn't happening)

I've lived in the Detroit metro area for most of my life, and just finished a BA at Mich State in Political Theory and Constitutional Democracy. Honestly, I don't really know what I want to do out of law school, except that I'm pretty sure I don't want to do criminal justice or family law. Right now I'd rank them in the order I posted them, but it's a very slight difference. They each seem to have their own unique strengths.

Illinois is the highest ranked, would put me in the Chicago market, and it would be very familiar surroundings (moving from one Big Ten college town to another). They're also really good at a lot of different things.

Case would be the cheapest because I'm getting the most money. I'd live in an actual big city, which I've always wanted to do, and my brother is currently a Case 1L, and so if I went there, I'd live with him. We're really close, so it'd be a lot of fun, and I figure I'd have a better time acclimating to my surroundings with him around.

Wash & Lee would put me in the DC market, which I presume would give me really good job opportunities. It would also be furthest away from home, which would probably be the more rewarding experience (kind of a positive and a negative at the same time). I also like what I've read about W&L in terms of the campus and community experience, although I've heard good things about the other schools, too.

I'll mention GW, but considering they aren't offering me any money, I don't think it's worth it to go there, just so I can live in DC.

So, what aspects am I missing, and what should I be weighing more/less heavily? Any input wold be greatly appreciated, because this is obviously a very hard decision.

PS: I'm new to the forum and spent about 20 minutes this morning trying to figure out why everyone was talking about going to Cooley. Living in Lansing, I hear way too many people asking me if I've considered Cooley Law. Of course, you'd think all the references to Hogwarts would've alerted me that something was amiss, but, no.

snowpeach06

Re: Illinois v Case Western v Wash and Lee

Postby snowpeach06 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:40 pm

Looks like you have a hard decision. But what I do think is this:

1. Cleveland is not a 'big city'. At all. However, saving money on housing and being near family is a big thing. So, that paired with the money is pretty good.
2. I'd lean towards not going to W&L even though I hear it is nice, not so competitive, ect. My reason is that Illinois is cheaper (every few grand matters), respected, and I might be taking a wrong leap here but most people from the Mid-west seem to love it and want to stay.

But, like I said, all very good options, so, good luck.

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:45 pm

I would suggest Illinois. Slightly more expensive than Case, but it'll be worth the extra opportunities. I know it's tempting to live in a big city, but it's only three years of your life and you'll have plenty of time to enjoy urban surroundings after law school.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:45 pm

Illinois

holydonkey

Postby holydonkey » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:46 pm

haveacigar wrote:PS: I'm new to the forum and spent about 20 minutes this morning trying to figure out why everyone was talking about going to Cooley. Living in Lansing, I hear way too many people asking me if I've considered Cooley Law. Of course, you'd think all the references to Hogwarts would've alerted me that something was amiss, but, no.
The references about Hogwarts aren't about Cooley.

Michigan = Hogwarts
Cooley = Image

jackalope11

Postby jackalope11 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:48 pm

JOThompson wrote:I would suggest Illinois. Slightly more expensive than Case, but it'll be worth the extra opportunities. I know it's tempting to live in a big city, but it's only three years of your life and you'll have plenty of time to enjoy urban surroundings after law school.

+1

I've heard good things about Case being and up and comer... but UIUC is established, higher ranked, and looks to have the better career prospects. The difference in your loan payments would be eaten up by the higher salary you would likely command in the market, IMO.

Good luck!

Edit: I would think that MSU there in Lansing would be a better option than Cooley. (Tier 3 vs. Tier 4 if I remember correctly?)

Return to “Choosing a Law School”