Am I being a moron? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Am I being a moron?

Yes
76%
No
24%

Total votes: 63

lawlschool

New

Am I being a moron?

Post by lawlschool » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:22 pm

I've been offered 3/4 tuition scholarships at both UVA and UGA. My significant other, as well as my family, will be in Atlanta for the next three years, and I plan on living and working there after law school. I want to be an immigration lawyer, if not that then something else in the public interest field (I am also in a very fortunate circumstance where any debt accumulated in law school will be taken on by my parents). I'm also not a "gunner," if that means anything. I want to attend UGA, but I feel like I'm turning down a ridiculously good opportunity at UVA. Thoughts?

lawlschool

New

Re: Am I being a moron?

Post by lawlschool » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:23 pm

Weird. Why did TLS switch out "University of Virginia" for "Cooley College of Law" ? Am I missing something?

lawlschool

New

Post by lawlschool » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:24 pm

Ohhhhh. Happy April fools T-L-S, or lushi

umichgrad

Bronze

Post by umichgrad » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:25 pm

I may be in the minority here, but I'd say do what makes you happy. If you honestly intend/plan to stay in Atlanta for your career, UGA is a solid choice. If moving to Charlottesville will significantly hamper your quality of life, then don't do it.

The Cooley thing is April Fools.

Edit: you saw it.

soullesswonder

Silver

Post by soullesswonder » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:27 pm

lawlschool wrote:I've been offered 3/4 tuition scholarships at both Cooley College of Law and UGA. My significant other, as well as my family, will be in Atlanta for the next three years, and I plan on living and working there after lawl skool. I want to be an immigration lawyer, if not that then something else in the public interest field (I am also in a very fortunate circumstance where any debt accumulated in lawl skool will be taken on by my parents). I'm also not a "gunner," if that means anything. I want to attend UGA, but I feel like I'm turning down a ridiculously good opportunity at Cooley College of Law. Thoughts?
How serious is this SO? If you don't feel like you have to have a really prestigious PI job then I suppose UGA is a defensible choice, but I'm not sure that you should throw away a scholarship offer from Virginia for just any girl. Even if you did go to C-ville you should have little trouble finding summer work in ATL.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

eldizknee

Bronze

Post by eldizknee » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:27 pm

Last edited by eldizknee on Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

T14_Scholly

Bronze

Post by T14_Scholly » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:27 pm

Dude, you'll have a much better chance at biglaw going to UVA.

umichgrad

Bronze

Post by umichgrad » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:30 pm

T14_Scholly wrote:Dude, you'll have a much better chance at biglaw going to Cooley College of Law.

RC fail.

FunkyJD

Silver

Post by FunkyJD » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:32 pm

Go to UVa and do not look back. Good PI jobs are competitive; give yourself the best chance. Plus, in the event that you might actually want to leave the state of Georgia in the future -- for who knows what the future might hold; your S.O. might get a great job offer in another state, who knows -- you'll want the portability of a UVa degree.

As yes, UVa is a top 12 school -- it's true, this time their rankings are correct. :lol:

ps- soulless is correct. If you turn down UVa for a S.O. you don't intend to marry, multiply each yes vote by 5.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

singingvontrapp

New

Post by singingvontrapp » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:16 pm

Hell yeah you are being a moron. Did you really have to ask?

soullogical

New

Post by soullogical » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:29 pm

test

lol

northwestern

penn

law school

good job TLS

BaiAilian2013

Silver

Post by BaiAilian2013 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:42 pm

I think we're assuming a lot by interpreting "significant other" to mean "not serious enough to make major life decisions for." What if OP and SO just aren't from families where marriage is a big thing? What if OP is gay but doesn't want to open that up for discussion by saying "partner"? Presumably, if OP is factoring the SO into the decision, s/he feels the relationship is sufficiently serious for that to be appropriate.

FunkyJD

Silver

Post by FunkyJD » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:02 pm

OP ... is this for sure an either-or proposition? Is your SO absolutely unwilling or unable to join you in C'ville?

Maybe you can convince your SO that your going to UVa will benefit you both the most in the end, and sell your SO on it. C'ville isn't the worst place for a couple to live.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lawlschool

New

Post by lawlschool » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:31 pm

So we're putting a lot of weight on SO. I want to marry to him, but I know that things can change wherever I go. I also know that 7.5 hours + law school pretty much guarantees failure. But I also want to stress the fact while I want to go to law school and be a lawyer, I don't want to sacrifice my quality of life for it. As for prestige--I don't care. I just want a job that's worthwhile.

So am I still being a moron?

lawlschool

New

Post by lawlschool » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:33 pm

FunkyJD wrote:OP ... is this for sure an either-or proposition? Is your SO absolutely unwilling or unable to join you in C'ville?

Maybe you can convince your SO that your going to Cooley College of Law will benefit you both the most in the end, and sell your SO on it. C'ville isn't the worst place for a couple to live.
And he can't move, sadly :cry: he'll be in Atlanta for the next 3 years

TTTennis

Bronze

Post by TTTennis » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:40 pm

Do what makes you happy. It seems like UGA is going to do that, especially since you don't care about prestige or biglaw.

fortissimo

Silver

Post by fortissimo » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:42 pm

-
Last edited by fortissimo on Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

soullesswonder

Silver

Post by soullesswonder » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:43 pm

lawlschool wrote:So we're putting a lot of weight on SO. I want to marry to him, but I know that things can change wherever I go. I also know that 7.5 hours + lawl skool pretty much guarantees failure. But I also want to stress the fact while I want to go to lawl skool and be a lawyer, I don't want to sacrifice my quality of life for it. As for prestige--I don't care. I just want a job that's worthwhile.

No. If the prestige of the job doesn't matter so much and you're serious about this guy, then a decision to attend UGA would be understandable.

EDIT: forgot parents were covering law school debt. In that case, there's really no downside for the OP if she chooses UGA. She won't have any debt, so she can work even a low-paying, unglamorous PI job without any serious financial consequences. I find it tough to believe that NO ONE will take her on board right after, and even if that were the case she could afford to take an interim non-legal job while searching for better employment.
Last edited by soullesswonder on Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TTTennis

Bronze

Post by TTTennis » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:47 pm

fortissimo wrote:
TTTennis wrote:Do what makes you happy. It seems like UGA is going to do that, especially since you don't care about prestige or biglaw.
Being unemployed won't make her happy.

LDR isn't THAT hard. People need to suck it up.
It could. Her parents are taking on her lawl school debt and she has a SO to take care of her :D But, seriously, unemployed? A little drastic don't you think?

lawlschool

New

Post by lawlschool » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:52 pm

soullesswonder wrote:
lawlschool wrote:So we're putting a lot of weight on SO. I want to marry to him, but I know that things can change wherever I go. I also know that 7.5 hours + lawl skool pretty much guarantees failure. But I also want to stress the fact while I want to go to lawl skool and be a lawyer, I don't want to sacrifice my quality of life for it. As for prestige--I don't care. I just want a job that's worthwhile.

No. If the prestige of the job doesn't matter so much and you're serious about this guy, then a decision to attend UGA would be understandable. Btw, you said 3/4 tuition scholarships...how much would the total cost of attendance at UGA be?

Given the scholarship my parents would be put out by about 50g (I'm instate, and this includes COL). With UVA, I think it would be around 89g (if I get instate after a year).

soullesswonder

Silver

Post by soullesswonder » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:55 pm

lawlschool wrote:
soullesswonder wrote:

No. If the prestige of the job doesn't matter so much and you're serious about this guy, then a decision to attend UGA would be understandable. Btw, you said 3/4 tuition scholarships...how much would the total cost of attendance at UGA be?

Given the scholarship my parents would be put out by about 50g (I'm instate, and this includes COL). With Cooley College of Law, I think it would be around 89g (if I get instate after a year).
yeah, I forgot about the parents - check my edited post above. COA really doesn't matter here (fwiw, I doubt you could get instate at Virginia)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

fortissimo

Silver

Post by fortissimo » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:12 pm

You can't gain residency at Virginia, but I still think it's TCR.

lawlschool

New

Post by lawlschool » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:18 pm

fortissimo wrote:You can't gain residency at Virginia, but I still think it's TCR.
TCR?

darknightbegins

Silver

Post by darknightbegins » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:22 pm

lawlschool wrote:I've been offered 3/4 tuition scholarships at both Cooley College of Law and UGA. My significant other, as well as my family, will be in Atlanta for the next three years, and I plan on living and working there after lawl skool. I want to be an immigration lawyer, if not that then something else in the public interest field (I am also in a very fortunate circumstance where any debt accumulated in lawl skool will be taken on by my parents). I'm also not a "gunner," if that means anything. I want to attend UGA, but I feel like I'm turning down a ridiculously good opportunity at Cooley College of Law. Thoughts?
Nice joke.

lawlschool

New

Post by lawlschool » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:23 pm

darknightbegins wrote:
Nice joke.
Joke is via T-L-S, they switched out "University of Virginia" for "Cooley College of Law"

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”