UF ($) vs. Temple ($$$)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
renata96

UF ($) vs. Temple ($$$)

Postby renata96 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:36 am

Should I go to UF with 18k scholarship and a Florida resident or Temple with a full ride?

Jas

Re: UF ($) vs. Temple ($$$)

Postby Jas » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:56 am

Have you gone to UF/been to the UF campus? Gainesville is a neat place to live, and the climate is a lot nicer than the lower parts of FL. Personally, as a native Floridian and current UF student, I would go for the full ride at Temple.

My reasons are:

I am ready to leave Florida, at least for a while.

Unless you are banking on killing yourself to get to the tippy top of the class, you shouldn't be expecting a high-paying job right out of school. You might get one, and you might also be in the tippy top of the class, but those are not safe assumptions. Therefore, free is the safest way to go, provided that the conditions for maintaining the scholarship are reasonable. After all, if you get out of law school with no debt, why would you have to sweat not having a 150K job, right?

All of this was my thinking before shamelessly EDing at a T-10 school and going in full price. I'll let you know how it goes for me in three or four years.... =)

P.S. Here are some firsthand accounts from two UF law graduates: One is now working for a douchebag PI guy who makes her drive him to lunch and then wait in the car while he eats, and the other holds some kind of advanced engineering degree and despite his interest in patent law, has not yet been able to find a job. I'm just saying, you have to ask whether a UF Law degree is going to help you pay those loans.

renata96

Postby renata96 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:44 am

Thanks. I'm a Florida native too and it's really the weather and higher ranking of UF over Temple that had me uncertain if it may be worth the extra cost, but I agree free is good.

RickyRoe

Postby RickyRoe » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:00 am

Wait a minute, 18K a year or 6K a year for 3 years? If it is 18K per year and you have Florida residency that is enough to cover tuition and more if I'm not mistaken. Does a full ride mean it covers books, fees, and cost of living too? Because COL is going to be higher in Philly than in Gainsville. I would make the decision on where you want to live, not the money.

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:04 am

renata96 wrote:Should I go to UF with 18k scholarship and a Florida resident or Temple with a full ride?
is the full ride guaranteed?

renata96

Postby renata96 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:43 am

UF- 6k a year plus a 10k grant for 1 year. Have to maintain a 3.2 at UF to keep the scholarship. Temple is full tuition and just have to stay in top 50% of class to keep scholly.
Not too worried about cost of living because bf's GI bill is paying for housing and he gets way more in Philly to make up for higher COL.
When it comes to living I'm not sure where I want to ultimately live. Florida has great weather and my family is there but Ive been there my whole life and I despise Gainesville, but then again it's only 3 years. I've never been to Philly, but the biggest downside is the cold.

renata96

Postby renata96 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:30 am

Also would going to Temple shut me out of the Florida market if I decided to go back or would my UMiami UG degree give me a shot at jobs in Florida?

steven3579

Postby steven3579 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:36 am

Nothing will shut you out of Florida but it will be more difficult without the degree from UF. (interpret: need work experience)

southernboy

Postby southernboy » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:37 am

Go to UF. Considering your scholarship and low in-state tuition, I don't think that UF is going to cost much more than temple. Plus, if you have any interest in working in Florida, UF is the way to go.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:38 am

renata96 wrote:Also would going to Temple shut me out of the Florida market if I decided to go back or would my UMiami UG degree give me a shot at jobs in Florida?

It's gonna be tough getting a job in FL from Temple. I'm from FL, and I know a couple lawyers down here who probably couldn't tell you where that is. Gator Nation is huge. I've had lawyers tell me to go to UF over much higher ranked schools even though I have no desire to return to FL after graduation. UF dominates the FL market. Granted, there's not much of it left in this economy, but UF dominates it. I think it's worth the extra debt.

Temple isn't gonna help you unless you want to go to Pennsylvania and work, which you don't really sound like you do. Theoretically, you could relocate, but this could be 5, 10, who knows how many years down the road, when you may have a family and established client base.

Go to UF and don't look back.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”