tOSU, U of AZ, or Case??

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

tOSU, U of AZ, or Case Western

Ohio State (in state + $9k/year)
65%
University of Arizona ($8k/year)
17%
Case Western ($20k/year)
17%

Total votes: 52

Veyron

Re: tOSU, U of AZ, or Case??

Postby Veyron » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:50 am

RVP11 wrote:
Veyron wrote:
RVP11 wrote:
sundevil77 wrote:Arizona is pretty messed up right now. :cry: Huge budget problems resulting from a real estate driven economy. In another thread I think someone pointed out that there are only 40 2L summer positions with big firms to be had in the Phoenix area. Figure in the competition from UA, ASU, other regional schools, and T14 kids that want to come out here and you're left with slim pickings.

I was the one who predicted 40 2L summer positions with big firms. I overestimated. It turned out to be more like 25-30 (down from 100+ a few years ago). And you're right to factor in how many people from T14s + schools like Texas/Vanderbilt/Iowa the big firms get (they maybe take up half of these spots?). And factor in that there are ~350 law students combined coming out of UofA/ASU each year. And even the market's leading firms have dropped salary from what used to be PHX market rate of $125k down to $100k or even below. And the market's top firm no-offered half their SA class last year.

Arizona is awesome. But the economy took maybe the biggest hit of any state in the country (see: worst budget deficit given the size of the state), and the legal market shows it.

On the plus side, Phoenix was a total boomtown prior to the economy crash, and when things start booming Phoenix and Arizona will likely be at the forefront again. But I wouldn't bet your lucky stars, or your law school tuition if you're paying OOS, on this happening before you interview as a 2L.

All of this info is wrong, market in AZ according to NALP forms remains at 115-125 + bonus. 1/2 of SA classes are not filled by T-14 ers. This guy just doesn't know whereov he speaks.

A) "This guy?" I'm the one who's given you a lot of info on AZ firms. PM me if you want to know who I am.

B) I never said 1/2 of SA classes are filled by T14ers. I estimated that up to 1/2 of SA slots are filled by T14s + Texas/Vanderbilt/Iowa. Oh, and I forgot BYU. From old class profiles I've seen, that might be a slight overestimation, but it's definitely not a huge one. It supports the proposition that you NEED Law Review grades (or better) from UofA/ASU to have a shot. I was told by one former hiring partner that his firm would only interview the top few people from each school.

C) Here's some leading PHX firm salaries:

Snell & Wilmer - 110k (formerly paying 125k) and paying their SAs 1700/week
Lewis & Roca - 110k (formerly paying 125k)
Osborn Maledon - 105k
Fennemore Craig - 115k with an asterisk
Ryley Carlock - heard they were paying 90k now but haven't confirmed it

Yeah I'd say that's a big change from the days of "Phoenix to 145k." Firms had to cut somewhere and first year associate salaries was probably not a bad place to start. And I think we both know that 110k =/= living in furs and jewels in Phoenix, even if you live way out in the suburbs.

Squire Sanders and Steptoe are at 125 if I have my info correct, OM is 105 for 1800, 115 for 19 something billables both amounts can also have a discressionary bonus added on.

In any event if I misunderstood you I appologize for being insulting, I had no idea that any 125's had droped back, so this is new info for me. I'm just sick of 0L's from the midwest trying to pretend they know what goes in in AZ. I thought you were one of them.

Whitters

Postby Whitters » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:16 pm

Arg, I don't know why this decision is so hard! My main goal is to have employment every summer, a job when I graduate, a great education, and a friendly school atmosphere. Can anyone speak to the competition factor at the schools and student life?

84Sunbird2000

Postby 84Sunbird2000 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:27 pm

Whitters wrote:Arg, I don't know why this decision is so hard! My main goal is to have employment every summer, a job when I graduate, a great education, and a friendly school atmosphere. Can anyone speak to the competition factor at the schools and student life?

I think every single one of us on this board is looking for this! :D

flying_squirrel

Postby flying_squirrel » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:08 pm

Whitters wrote:Arg, I don't know why this decision is so hard! My main goal is to have employment every summer, a job when I graduate, a great education, and a friendly school atmosphere. Can anyone speak to the competition factor at the schools and student life?

I really don't know much about the job placement, education, or competition @ Moritz. But as a current grad student @ tOSU, I can say a bit about the student life.

I think you would be hard pressed to find any university with more to do. The grad students are given the same opportunities as undergrads to participate in every club imaginable. With the largest student enrollment in the country, I think Ohio State is able to offer more to it's students. The Rec Center at OSU is only a couple yrs. old. While I'm not positive, I believe it is the largest Rec Center in the country. http://www.recsports.osu.edu/facilities/ In addition, just this past week, OSU opened the new Ohio Union (student union) and it is conveniently close to Moritz. http://ohiounion.osu.edu/ . Only OSU would build a student union w/ 2 bars nestled inside.

Outside of school, many grad students spend their time downtown in the "Arena District" which has really been built up. http://www.arenadistrict.com/ Cbus also has the Blue Jackets if interested in hockey & the Indians AAA baseball team, the Clippers.

Finally, tOSU obviously offers great sports. I would caution you that if you are not a football fan, you will get annoyed quickly. In the fall of the year, the whole city is focused on the football team & you won't stop hearing about it.

Whitters

Postby Whitters » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:40 pm

Thanks for all the links! Ha, I'm actually excited about the idea of being on campus for football season! I'll always be a Bucks fan ( except when they play my alma mater! :) )

Return to “Choosing a Law School”