Cardozo, Seton Hall$$$, Rutgers Camden$$, Villanova

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where Should I Go?

Cardozo
20%
Seton Hall ($$$$)
20%
Rutgers Camden ($ plus in State)
46%
Villanova
15%

Total votes: 46

pany1985

Re: Cardozo, Seton Hall$$$, Rutgers Camden$$, Villanova

Postby pany1985 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:09 pm

Villanova's location is about 1000 times nicer than any of those others, imo

bernie shmegma

Postby bernie shmegma » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:13 pm

pany1985 wrote:Villanova's location is about 1000 times nicer than any of those others, imo

True. The village is a nice part of NYC too so depends what you like. Nova seems to be more of a collegial experience. 1000 times is a lot though haha. What is this a building for ants?!

superflush

Postby superflush » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:31 pm

pany1985 wrote:Villanova's location is about 1000 times nicer than any of those others, imo

yes, let's compare Villanova to Camden.
That is like the most different you could possibly get.

But on another note, if you went to Seton Hall, would you get a free iPad?

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:14 pm

inSouthAmerica wrote:seton hall has a SCOTUS clerk this year. its a fluke and will never happen again.

the idea that cardozo or villanova have more portability than rutgers is a fantasy.

Gotcha. I know Thomas has/had one from RU-C (or maybe that was last year; I dunno my sister had told me about it - but they also mentioned it at ASD). Wasn't aware of Alito's (but he's from NJ, so that's not completely shocking).

As for OP's school choices, I really don't think they are any different in terms of portability or BigLaw% (i.e. all will require at least law review). If OP wants DC, these really aren't the schools to do it from - though I suppose it's certainly possible with a ton of leg work.

bernie shmegma

Postby bernie shmegma » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:13 am

keg411 wrote: If OP wants DC, these really aren't the schools to do it from - though I suppose it's certainly possible with a ton of leg work.

Even if these weren't the schools to do it from, the difference between each is insignificant for the prospect of DC, which is the question at hand. However, these schools are fine for DC for whatever range of schools were possible for you to get into. I mean if "DC" refers to SCOTUS and the most competitive areas/firms of DC, then obv these aren't the schools to do it from. But, one who didn't get into one of those "elite" schools is probably not cut out for such jobs anyway because only the best of the best are at that level. Thus, even the second best from the elite schools don't make it. Are we to think ALL of DC is a bunch of elite legal minds only from these schools? The "second best" in the elite academies who didn't make it to top gun? So, therefore DC is FULL of the second best of all top academies? I think not.

If "DC" means working for any one of several agencies, on capitol hill, for a lobby firm, for a think tank, for other judges, smaller law firms, etc. then I think these schools suffice equally as well in putting one in the position to do any of these things as much as any other non-"elite" school. Of course this is as long as one puts an effort into school that one would think is needed for landing any decent job. Like I said, there are people in DC from RU, SHU, Indiana, Wash U, Syracuse, all over spectrum etc. to HYS, Georgetown etc, AU, GW, George Mason. The former "DC" is out of the question, even with a lot of leg work at any of these topic schools. If the top students from AU aren't going into the elite "DC", guess what? Neither are the top students from Nova, Cardozo, SHU, and RU. BUT, that is not what should define the DC legal market. The latter description should, and for that all of these schools are EVEN. And yes, Keg is right that she supposes it's certainly possible with a ton of leg work. It is also likely if you do well. Whatever the phrase for doing as well as you would need to do for any decent job is more appropriate.

That being said if the latter description in fact means "DC," and you accept that as a reasonable goal, I still think you should mitigate your debt. NO WAY is Nova worth 5K more than Rutgers-Camden, let alone 2X, 4X, 8X, 16X, upwards of 32X that amount! If location and a campus and a name (undergrad and sports) means that much, then spend 160 K more to go there. When you piss away $1,500 a month in loans while making 100K for the SEC in Washington DC - a job for which Rutgers-Camden could have gotten you with the same ease, you'll be eating peanuts instead of paying with them. You're the variable here, not any one of these schools. So know this, that whatever decision you make between these specific schools, it wasn't the school that did or did not set you up in DC, it was you.

bernie shmegma

Postby bernie shmegma » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:39 pm

http://www.law.com/jsp/law/careercenter ... 8256428026

A great post today brought this to TLS.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”