May be an obvious choice but... Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
jamielynn1981

New

May be an obvious choice but...

Post by jamielynn1981 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:58 pm

I would really appreciate anyone's input on trying to decide between the following schools--part of me feels like it's an obvious choice, but I'm graduating this year from a Master's program with over $100,000 in debt already so money is kind of an issue for me. Any advice would be great!

Boston College--sticker
Seton Hall--$35,000/yr renewable
Michigan State--full scholarship
Temple--$15,000/yr
Loyola LA-$89,000
USD--15,000/yr

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

BoomBoom1986

Bronze

Re: May be an obvious choice but...

Post by BoomBoom1986 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:01 pm

Temple seems like a solid option if you want to work in Philly (I'm strongly considering it, too.) It really does own the Philly market (penn grads flee to NYC, and Nova seems like it sends a lot more people to the 'burbs and S. Jersey). BC is the "best" school but it doesn't dominate in Boston like Temple does in Philly. Plus, it's cheaper (cheaper COL in Philly, too). If you already have $100k of debt, then Temple might be your best bet. BC is a great school, but that is a lot to payoff.

darknightbegins

Silver

Post by darknightbegins » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:02 pm

jamielynn1981 wrote:I would really appreciate anyone's input on trying to decide between the following schools--part of me feels like it's an obvious choice, but I'm graduating this year from a Master's program with over $100,000 in debt already so money is kind of an issue for me. Any advice would be great!

Boston College--sticker
Temple--$15,000/yr
Loyola LA-$89,000
USD--15,000/yr

The debt has you wondering whether you should go to Boston College or not. What kind of law do you want to practice?

richardfitzwell

New

Post by richardfitzwell » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:07 pm

jamielynn1981 wrote:I would really appreciate anyone's input on trying to decide between the following schools--part of me feels like it's an obvious choice, but I'm graduating this year from a Master's program with over $100,000 in debt already so money is kind of an issue for me. Any advice would be great!

Boston College--sticker

Temple--$15,000/yr
Loyola LA-$89,000
USD--15,000/yr

hth.

PoliticalJunkie

Bronze

Post by PoliticalJunkie » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:13 pm

Conventional "wisdom" on TLS is take the higher ranked school regardless of the cost, but with already 100K in the hole and the prospects of being put another 200K in the hole with a BC Law degree, I can't agree with that decision.

However it all depends on what you want to do for atleast the immediate short term after school. Location, Type of practice, etc......

At about 30K/yr (total COA for Temple with an OOS Scholly) it's probably the best bang for your buck from which a degree will be respectable and allow for mobility...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cavebat2000

Bronze

Post by cavebat2000 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:15 pm

That full ride is pretty sweet. Does MS really suck that much?

richardfitzwell

New

Post by richardfitzwell » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:16 pm

PoliticalJunkie wrote:Conventional "wisdom" on TLS is take the higher ranked school regardless of the cost, but with already 100K in the hole and the prospects of being put another 200K in the hole with a BC Law degree, I can't agree with that decision.

However it all depends on what you want to do for atleast the immediate short term after school. Location, Type of practice, etc......

At about 30K/yr (total COA for Temple with an OOS Scholly) it's probably the best bang for your buck from which a degree will be respectable and allow for mobility...

Well I rather be further in debt with better career prospects and most likely a job then a shiny new piece of paper. Plus, she can do IBR if necessary.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:17 pm

PoliticalJunkie wrote:Conventional "wisdom" on TLS is take the higher ranked school regardless of the cost, but with already 100K in the hole and the prospects of being put another 200K in the hole with a BC Law degree, I can't agree with that decision.
On the other hand, IBR makes even more sense for handling 300K in debt than 200K in debt.

tadams86

Bronze

Post by tadams86 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:18 pm

I would vote for Loyola, but then again I have the west coast bias...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

darknightbegins

Silver

Post by darknightbegins » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:21 pm

richardfitzwell wrote:

Well I rather be further in debt with better career prospects and most likely a job then a shiny new piece of paper. Plus, she can do IBR if necessary.
True there is always IBR, which in this case likely will be necessary. I'd probably take BC but I'd hate to already be staring down a sports car worth of debt before even law school.

ndpfn

New

Post by ndpfn » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:23 pm

cavebat2000 wrote:That full ride is pretty sweet. Does MS really suck that much?

It wouldn't be a bad choice considering the debt that's already been accrued, and if Michigan was a desired locale, but I'd say Temple makes the most sense in this case. Good school, reasonable price, etc.

jamielynn1981

New

Post by jamielynn1981 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:27 pm

darknightbegins wrote:

Boston College--sticker
Temple--$15,000/yr
Loyola LA-$89,000
USD--15,000/yr

The debt has you wondering whether you should go to Boston College or not. What kind of law do you want to practice?
Exactly!

From what I've been told I will probably end up practicing in an area I have never even thought about but right now I'm really interested in pursuing a judicial clerkship and working with the government--I'm also interested in academia but understand that that would come later (after I have get some experience so I'll actually know what I am talking about when trying to teach it to students :o) )

I guess I am wondering if my job prospects will be that much greater with BC that it justifies paying sticker--I do know, though, that I don't want to practice in Jersey or Michigan...but part of me feels like if I can (and I know everyone says this) but if I can graduate towards the top of my class I would have SOME good job offers...or is that just wishful thinking?

richardfitzwell

New

Post by richardfitzwell » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:27 pm

darknightbegins wrote:
richardfitzwell wrote:

True there is always IBR, which in this case likely will be necessary. I'd probably take BC but I'd hate to already be staring down a sports car worth of debt before even law school.

BC: $100,000 + $200,000= $300,000 -( salary=$160,000 x years=2) = + 20,000

MS: $10000 + Living Expenses ( 17,000 X 3)= $152,000 - ( salary= 50,000 x years 3) = -2,000

Hmm.........tough choice.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

scribelaw

Silver

Post by scribelaw » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:33 pm

There's such a large quality difference between these schools.

I don't really think BC is worth sticker, but in your case, you're probably going to be using IBR no matter what.

Is your $100k-plus in debt you already have all federal -- i.e., elibigle for IBR?

cavebat2000

Bronze

Post by cavebat2000 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:35 pm

richardfitzwell wrote:
darknightbegins wrote:
richardfitzwell wrote:

MS: $10000 + Living Expenses ( 17,000 X 3)= $152,000 - ( salary= 50,000 x years 3) = -2,000

That is an amazing assumption. Don't think for one second that going BC guarantees you a 160k biglaw job, especially ITE. BAD BAD BAD assumption.

richardfitzwell

New

Post by richardfitzwell » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:38 pm

That is an amazing assumption. Don't think for one second that going BC guarantees you a 160k biglaw job, especially ITE. BAD BAD BAD assumption.[/quote]

That is an amazing assumption. Don't think for one second that going to MS guarantees you a job, especially ITE. BAD BAD BAD assumption.

hth.

jamielynn1981

New

Post by jamielynn1981 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:38 pm

scribelaw wrote:There's such a large quality difference between these schools.

I don't really think BC is worth sticker, but in your case, you're probably going to be using IBR no matter what.

Is your $100k-plus in debt you already have all federal -- i.e., elibigle for IBR?

It's not all federal--I have taken out private loans as well--I'd say it's about half federal, half private

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BoomBoom1986

Bronze

Post by BoomBoom1986 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:42 pm

Have you considered retaking the LSATs? I have no debt and some decent options and I'm considering it. Plus, the economy gets to recover for another year.

jamielynn1981

New

Post by jamielynn1981 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:48 pm

BoomBoom1986 wrote:Have you considered retaking the LSATs? I have no debt and some decent options and I'm considering it. Plus, the economy gets to recover for another year.
I've thought about it, but honestly, I'm going to be 30 soon and the idea of waiting another year just isn't very appealing--I know it could make a huge difference but just don't think I want to wait

BoomBoom1986

Bronze

Post by BoomBoom1986 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:51 pm

jamielynn1981 wrote:
BoomBoom1986 wrote:Have you considered retaking the LSATs? I have no debt and some decent options and I'm considering it. Plus, the economy gets to recover for another year.
I've thought about it, but honestly, I'm going to be 30 soon and the idea of waiting another year just isn't very appealing--I know it could make a huge difference but just don't think I want to wait
You're still plenty young!!!! 31 isn't no different than 30! If one year can get you into a T14 or a full ride at a T30 or T40, then it's definitely worth it. If you got into BC you obviously have a solid GPA. Pair that with a sweet LSAT and your other grad degree ad you're golden!

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:55 pm

BoomBoom1986 wrote:You're still plenty young!!!! 31 isn't no different than 30! If one year can get you into a T14 or a full ride at a T30 or T40, then it's definitely worth it. If you got into BC you obviously have a solid GPA. Pair that with a sweet LSAT and your other grad degree ad you're golden!
Flawed inference. I got into BC with a 3.0 GPA last cycle. Of course, it took a ballin' LSAT to do that.

I do agree with above poster's overall sentiment though, that it may be worth taking off a year, retaking the LSAT, and reapplying, if your circumstances are such that a higher LSAT score is all you need to get into the T14. OP, I feel your pain with waiting; I'm 29 right now, and I know how that itch just keeps itching once you decide to go to law school. BC is a good school, but if you can do significantly better by waiting a year, you should really consider it. You won't be at any real disadvantage starting at 31 compared to starting at 30.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

TTTennis

Bronze

Post by TTTennis » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:06 am

richardfitzwell wrote:
darknightbegins wrote:
richardfitzwell wrote:

This is the most retarded thing I have ever seen in my life. Nice assumption, and whose paying taxes...and rent..and every other bill?

I think you would have to be out of your mind to go $300k in debt. It would be one thing if you could somehow predict your performance in ls and know that you will end up top whatever% and have a good shot at biglaw -- which you might end up hating, but would have absolutely no choice to take -- but you can't. I understand job prospects are important, but so is being able to eat.

annapavlova

Bronze

Post by annapavlova » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:10 am

Take. The. Scholly.

TTTennis

Bronze

Post by TTTennis » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:10 am

richardfitzwell wrote:That is an amazing assumption. Don't think for one second that going BC guarantees you a 160k biglaw job, especially ITE. BAD BAD BAD assumption.

That is an amazing assumption. Don't think for one second that going to MS guarantees you a job, especially ITE. BAD BAD BAD assumption.

hth.[/quote]

And who cares if OP can't get a job right away with the MS degree, he/she didn't pay shit to go there. Imagine graduating below median at BC and not being able to get a job with $300k in debt....that would be fun.

richardfitzwell

New

Post by richardfitzwell » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:11 am

TTTennis wrote:
This is the most retarded thing I have ever seen in my life. Nice assumption, and whose paying taxes...and rent..and every other bill?

I think you would have to be out of your mind to go $300k in debt. It would be one thing if you could somehow predict your performance in ls and know that you will end up top whatever% and have a good shot at biglaw -- which you might end up hating, but would have absolutely no choice to take -- but you can't. I understand job prospects are important, but so is being able to eat.
Really? Really? it was a what if to show going to BC probably would still be a better choice, you F' in Retard.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”