Experienced CPA getting JD - Share experiences?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Lude000
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:47 pm

Re: Experienced CPA getting JD - Share experiences?

Postby Lude000 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:00 pm

APHill wrote:
Lude000 wrote:
APHill wrote:I think the real question is - does Lude think he would have had those 20 interviews and 2 offers for 1 L internship if he did not have the work xp and CPA. If the answer is - "No I probably would not" then work xp is a game changer as a necessary factor.


Like I said, I think it helped get me some interviews but I don't think it was a game changer. There are plenty of people with similar stats without work experience that got jobs too.


I underand that "like you said" you feel that way, just curious how statistically significant the differences between you and a comparable student without work experience are. For example, if probability for a top 25% w/o work experience to get a job was 50%(which would still be "plenty") but for a top 25% w work experience the probability would be 80%, then the work xp would be a game changer.

If in that case it would not be not a game changer then probability of getting a biglaw offer from top 10 (top 40-50% of class) is not a game changer over same probability at top 30 school (top 20-30% of class) because at University of Iowa there is still a "plenty" of students getting top jobs when compared to Harvard.


I'm not sure where the disconnect is here. Quite possibly it comes from the fact that statistically significant inferences simply cannot be made from a sample of just me. My definition of a game changer is that given my certification and work experience, the probability of my getting a job offer was higher by some quantitative measure when compared to my peers with similar stats, less the work experience/certification. In the alternative, it could be defined as pulling job offers that my other statistics would typically say I should not get. Either way, drawing off of what other people in my class experienced, with similar stats of course, my conclusion was that I did not fare significantly better. Was there quantitative analysis done? Of course not.

Lude000
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:47 pm

Re: Experienced CPA getting JD - Share experiences?

Postby Lude000 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:03 pm

TUP wrote:
Lude000 wrote:My experience for 1L summer hiring was that firms and corporations generally looked fondly on CPA experience. Every single interviewer talked about my work experience and I'm pretty sure it was a strong consideration in granting me interviews in the first place. Two things held constant across all interviews: 1) So...you are interested in transactional work, right? 2) Why did you leave accounting?


Are you saying a former CPA might be pigeon-holed? Based on my big 4 experience, transactional corporate law is the one area I know I'm definitely NOT interested in (as a 0L).


I'm saying you will very likely be pigeon-holed. But that is just a matter of first impressions based on a resume. The simple solution would be to correct an interviewer. Even before an interview, you could address the concern through your cover letter or resume. At the end of the day, it will likely be a common assumption. I believe it is a valid assumption and an assumption that can easily be corrected should it be wrong.

User avatar
APHill
Posts: 230
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:22 am

Re: Experienced CPA getting JD - Share experiences?

Postby APHill » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:11 pm

I guess there is really no way to tell whether it is a game changer or not, other than from your own opinion.

What I am trying to say that if you went to Harvard and had friends at Boston College and noone knew exactly relative quality/prestige of law schools and I asked you whether you felt that Harvard was better than BC you would have probably stated that going to Harvard is not a game changer because plenty of your friends got same jobs from BC. Your statements just appear to be unbased personal opinions somewhat affected by the role of work XP in the law school admission process.

Lude000
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:47 pm

Re: Experienced CPA getting JD - Share experiences?

Postby Lude000 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:33 pm

APHill wrote:I guess there is really no way to tell whether it is a game changer or not, other than from your own opinion.

What I am trying to say that if you went to Harvard and had friends at Boston College and noone knew exactly relative quality/prestige of law schools and I asked you whether you felt that Harvard was better than BC you would have probably stated that going to Harvard is not a game changer because plenty of your friends got same jobs from BC. Your statements just appear to be unbased personal opinions somewhat affected by the role of work XP in the law school admission process.



Well IF everything else was held equal (GPA, journals, etc.) and the only thing changed was the school (Harvard or BC) and the same percentage of people from both groups got comparable offers, would you say that going to Harvard was a game changer with respect to landing an initial job? I sure wouldn't.

Also, asking a question like this on a forum is only going to get you these type of answers. My point is that there are things that have traditionally truly mattered and will continue to matter in the world of law firm recruiting. Off the top of my head those things would be School Attended, GPA, and Participation on Journals/Moot Court. Although I would love to live in a world where my work experience had the top firms knocking down my door, that just isn't the case. The recruiting model has not required it in the past nor does it require it now.

User avatar
APHill
Posts: 230
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:22 am

Re: Experienced CPA getting JD - Share experiences?

Postby APHill » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:49 pm

Well, I guess I appreciate your honest opinion, but in the end the answer I got is that you really dont know whether work xp is a significant factor, thats all.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests