What can you tell me about Canadian law schools?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Zeile

What can you tell me about Canadian law schools?

Postby Zeile » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:17 pm

If one attends a “decent” Canadian school, how are job prospects there? Pay? Especially if you’re an American (but one who’s not afraid to become an expat if need be). If one gets a LLM here in the US from a top ranked school after some work experience in Canada, is it possible to come back to the States to work? I’m asking because I’m intrigued by the possibility of moving to Canada and also possibly having another job market at my disposal.

como

Re: What can you tell me about Canadian law schools?

Postby como » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:14 pm

What's your definition of 'decent' and where do you want to work in Canada?

If you go to UofT or McGill, you should have little trouble finding good job opps in Tdot or MTL, as well as a decent shot at good firms in NY. Osgoode should set you up pretty nicely for a Toronto job as well. UBC and Vic are decent if you're looking at Vancouver, and then each 'smaller' city has a fairly good regional school.

If you're an American, recognize that it might be fairly difficult to get permanent resident status, which is probably a prerequisite for job opportunities. Canada has a point-based system for granting residency. You get bonus points for having some Canadian education, French/English abilities, and experience in any one of a number of enumerated jobs. Advanced degrees get you a bit of a boost too.

Have you ever lived in Canada? How do you know you would want to practice there?

Zeile

Re: What can you tell me about Canadian law schools?

Postby Zeile » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:33 pm

Bump

Return to “Choosing a Law School”