. Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
shadow.

Bronze

Post by shadow. » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:52 am

Last edited by shadow. on Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bceagles182

Silver

Re: Confirm my choice

Post by bceagles182 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:57 am

UGA. Not close imo

thebookcollector

Bronze

Post by thebookcollector » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:58 am

I'll help you narrow it down to two...

I'd go with either WUSTL or W&L. I'd say W&L will place more grads in DC, but WUSTL is increasing its presence there, especially given the University's new partnership with the Brookings Institution (which is being coordinated by the Dean of the Law School). I'd pick either of those over Emory or GMU at sticker and UGA even with the scholarship.

Edit: You didn't seem to like the idea, but I'd ride the waitlist out at Georgetown... that's an obvious choice if you get in.
Last edited by thebookcollector on Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

dk8

Bronze

Post by dk8 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:00 am

bceagles182 wrote:UGA. Not close imo
miss the part about him wanting to be in D.C.? OP if being there is a big deal, go to W&L.

UFMatt

Bronze

Post by UFMatt » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:11 am

shadow. wrote: WUSTL- $10k/yr
Emory- stickah
W&L- $17k/yr
UGA- in state + $4k/yr ($10k/yr total tuition and fees)
GMU- stickah

Preferences: Want to be in D.C. following graduation, moderately debt averse, would like to lateral to ATL following some time in Washington. Prefer government work to BigLaw and have an interest in securities.
How well does UGA place in DC and/or for government work? It makes the most sense from a financial standpoint. It also would be a fantastic school to attend in order to lateral back into ATL.

I'd rule out Emory (too expensive for your goals) and GMU (too expensive). W&L will place better into DC, but you might have a harder time returning to ATL. It's also quite isolated, although the climate/landscape is very serene. WUSTL comes into play thanks to ranking and modest scholarship, but I would question how much it would benefit your specific goals.

I'd choose WUSTL (overall prestige), UGA (low debt, great ATL placement), or W&L (decent scholarship, solid DC placement). Depends on your distinct sensibilities, but UGA seems to be the most practical choice. W&L would also be solid if you wanted a change of scenery. I'd hate to live in St. Louis, so my choice is admittedly biased against WUSTL.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:15 am

WUSTL, followed by UGA. W&L is behind too many other DC/national schools to count on it getting you a good job.

Be careful not to choose poorly.

--ImageRemoved--
--ImageRemoved--

bceagles182

Silver

Post by bceagles182 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:17 am

If he's going to lateral to Georgia anyway then W&L vs UGA is a wash in terms of location. It may not be incredibly easy to get a job in DC after graduation but by the time you lateral back to Georgia, many of your friends from law school will be practicing in Georgia, and you should be able to find a job there with ease.

deadpanic

Silver

Post by deadpanic » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:22 am

W&L.

You can get to D.C. with W&L and at the same time, Washington & Lee also does pretty well in Atlanta. It seems to be one of your cheaper options as well.

rando

Silver

Post by rando » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:24 am

bceagles182 wrote:If he's going to lateral to Georgia anyway then W&L vs UGA is a wash in terms of location. It may not be incredibly easy to get a job in DC after graduation but by the time you lateral back to Georgia, many of your friends from law school will be practicing in Georgia, and you should be able to find a job there with ease.
Not really. School matters more for first location. Lateraling is a different ballgame. You should make your school choice based on your most proximate goals. UGA won't get you into DC

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

shadow.

Bronze

Post by shadow. » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:35 am

Last edited by shadow. on Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thickfreakness

Silver

Post by thickfreakness » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:41 am

shadow. wrote:Okay, a few more thoughts.

I'm engaged to a 2L at a TTT and getting her a job in Lexington might be very tough. Getting her a job in Athens will be a near lock due to connections. I think that this fact seals the deal, but didn't want to put it up front.

My family has some connections in D.C. A few partners at Covington, some in government (SEC, FCC, etc.) and two Article III judges.

My choice was UGA, but am concerned about the 0 D.C. firms at OCI last year. I really don't want to spend the rest of my life in Georgia. I know that lateraling to ATL will be fairly easy, again due to connections. I don't want to brag overly, but my family is very well placed in the Atlanta legal community.

I guess my concern comes down to this: If I want to work for 5-10 years in D.C., will I be overly burdened by going to UGA?
If your family is well connected in DC you could probably snag a job. Just go to UGA, which is the smart choice financially and for your relationship, and then work those connections to get a job in DC and if that doesn't work then you can come back to Atlanta.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”