Debating T2's Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which T2?

DePaul (Chicago)
6%
Chicago-Kent
13%
Santa Clara
39%
Seattle University
9%
Rutgers-Newark
24%
Rutgers-Camden
9%

Total votes: 54

bk1

Diamond

Debating T2's

Post by bk1 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:38 am

The most important things to me are job prospects, location, and ability to transfer if I win the lottery after 1L (I understand this is unlikely but I would like it to be at least possible if remote, this is because I read somewhere that Rutgers-Newark does not rank their students and I assume that would make it that much harder for one to be accepted as a transfer student).

1. Location - SF = NYC > Bay Area >= Chicago = Seattle (SF and NYC are the same to me, Bay Area has a slight edge over Chicago but I would go to Chicago for better job prospects, and I might ignore these entirely if going to Seattle or NJ gave me a significantly better chance.)

2. Job Prospects - I understand that biglaw is pretty much out of the question due to T2 but I would like the best possible job prospects post-graduation.

3. Ability to Transfer - As noted above, but this is not a huge concern. If someone could clear this up for me it would be appreciated.

4. Money - Not much of an issue and not really a factor to me. I am not debt-averse and have 15-20k/year academic scholarships to all of them.

If people could give me some input as to why, it would be really helpful. Also, If I were to get into Brooklyn, would it have better job prospects than all of the above?

darknightbegins

Silver

Re: Debating T2's

Post by darknightbegins » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:30 am

Guess take one of the Rutgers considering what you want job wise and your preference geographically. I'd think one of the Rutger schools could get you a better shot at NYC employment than Santa Clara could get you a shot at Bay Area employment.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:57 pm

Which Rutgers has the better shot at NYC employment? What % of the class would it take to get that? Any other opinions on this, considering there is a lot of votes for SCU.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:03 am

Another addendum. Would American University (DC) give better prospects jobwise in the private sector than the above mentioned schools? (not taking location into account)

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:24 am

This is a no brainer, Santa Clara.
bk187 wrote:Which Rutgers has the better shot at NYC employment? What % of the class would it take to get that? Any other opinions on this, considering there is a lot of votes for SCU.
Are you serious? Obviously its the one that is close to NYC.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:26 am

bk187 wrote:If people could give me some input as to why, it would be really helpful. Also, If I were to get into Brooklyn, would it have better job prospects than all of the above?
If you got into BLS, you'd have better prospects than Rutgers.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:35 am

superflush wrote: Are you serious? Obviously its the one that is close to NYC.
I assumed as much but thought it couldn't hurt to ask.

Would BLS be better than SCU?

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:38 am

superflush wrote:
bk187 wrote:If people could give me some input as to why, it would be really helpful. Also, If I were to get into Brooklyn, would it have better job prospects than all of the above?
I got into BLS (no $) and there is zero chance I go there over either Rutgers because I don't think whatever the options are are worth $150k more in debt. But I'm not aiming for NYC and am totally cool with staying and working in NJ.

kissy

Bronze

Post by kissy » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:27 am

keg411 wrote:
superflush wrote:
I got into BLS (no $) and there is zero chance I go there over either Rutgers because I don't think whatever the options are are worth $150k more in debt. But I'm not aiming for NYC and am totally cool with staying and working in NJ.
twins?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:05 pm

???

My point was that I got into BLS and don't have "better" choices than Rutgers. I'm on a bunch of WL's. Anyway, I was trying to make the point to see if anyone would say that sticker BLS > $/cheap tuition at either Rutgers school (which I don't want to, but I would want to see the reasoning behind it).

kissy

Bronze

Post by kissy » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:35 pm

keg411 wrote:
superflush wrote:
same here. sorry for not being more specific?

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:56 pm

I'm still curious about the "if you got into BLS you would have better prospects than Rutgers" comment. Does that mean BLS is significantly better (or worth sticker - which is doubtful)? Does that mean if I can get into Brooklyn, I have acceptances at higher ranked schools? (Hasn't happened, but I have a bucket full of WL's). I really want to know about this :(.

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:06 am

bk187 wrote:Would BLS be better than SCU?
Well, it really comes down to where you would rather live.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:07 am

keg411 wrote:I'm still curious about the "if you got into BLS you would have better prospects than Rutgers" comment. Does that mean BLS is significantly better (or worth sticker - which is doubtful)? Does that mean if I can get into Brooklyn, I have acceptances at higher ranked schools? (Hasn't happened, but I have a bucket full of WL's). I really want to know about this :(.
I meant, the career prospects from BLS would be better than the career prospects from Rutgers.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:46 am

superflush wrote:
keg411 wrote:I'm still curious about the "if you got into BLS you would have better prospects than Rutgers" comment. Does that mean BLS is significantly better (or worth sticker - which is doubtful)? Does that mean if I can get into Brooklyn, I have acceptances at higher ranked schools? (Hasn't happened, but I have a bucket full of WL's). I really want to know about this :(.
I meant, the career prospects from BLS would be better than the career prospects from Rutgers.
So much that BLS sticker >>>> Rutgers (with $ + in-state tuition)?

Can you clarify on this? Because everything else I have heard is the opposite. (Not talking about in NYC only; talking about NY/NJ together). Are Brooklyn prospects really worth 150k more than Rutgers?

Hence why I asked for elaboration :).

kissy

Bronze

Post by kissy » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:34 am

keg411 wrote:
superflush wrote:
So much that BLS sticker >>>> Rutgers (with $ + in-state tuition)?

Can you clarify on this? Because everything else I have heard is the opposite. (Not talking about in NYC only; talking about NY/NJ together). Are Brooklyn prospects really worth 150k more than Rutgers?

IMO BLS sticker would never be worth it.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:36 am

kissy, I agree with you, but I'm trying to find out if maybe superflush knows something that I am missing.

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:41 am

keg411 wrote:So much that BLS sticker >>>> Rutgers (with $ + in-state tuition)?

Okay, so you are in-state.
If the difference is really 150k, then I'd only pick BLS over Rutgers if I had the money up-front and really wanted to work in NYC.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”