ND vs UCI vs WUSTL ?????

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which one would you choose??

Notre Dame w/ 18,000/yr
55
40%
UCI w/ half tuition
54
39%
WUSTL w/ 10,000/yr
30
22%
 
Total votes: 139

User avatar
MusicNutMeggie
Posts: 158
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:12 pm

Re: ND vs UCI vs WUSTL ?????

Postby MusicNutMeggie » Wed May 26, 2010 6:48 pm

Like OP, I'm from CA, but I have to say that I've never heard Notre Dame referred to as a really prestigious school, even for lay prestige. Generally, people where I'm from think it's a good school, on the level of a USC or a UT, but only my Catholic friends hold it in really high regard. You also have to keep in mind the fact that midwestern schools just don't have the same clout on the west coast; most people, as far as lay and even employer prestige perception go, have no idea just what good schools Northwestern and U of Chicago are, or Wash U. Those three all happen to have good law schools, too, but that's not the point-- if you're looking for just name brand value, you won't get that much of a bump on the west coast from anywhere in the midwest.

The one thing you still need to factor in is that ITE, even Wash U (your highest-ranked school) had its OCI go waaaay more regional than it has been in the past. You say you're open to NY, and that's great, but none of these schools places well there (there's no reason to assume that UCI will). You want to be in CA, you're a CA native, you'll get in-state tuition, you have a scholarship...Honestly, I began writing this with every intention of telling you that WUSTL was the best choice, but looking at it now, it seems like UCI makes the most sense. I wouldn't worry about LA placement coming from UCI; even Hastings places well in LA, and it's considerably further away. It's all of an hour's drive from UCI to LA-- it's not as though there's going to be anything keeping you from LA externships, etc., and LA firms are going to make the trip to the OC.

One last thing, though-- sometimes, you have to go with your gut. You visited and loved WUSTL, and you do have to live at your law school for three years, plus maybe in the area for a lot longer than that. If WUSTL felt right, then just take the plunge.

Best of luck!

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: ND vs UCI vs WUSTL ?????

Postby keg411 » Wed May 26, 2010 6:58 pm

If you want SoCal, go to UCI. I know it's a "new school" and you're worried about it being on par with Hastings/Davis -- but so what if it is? I'm guessing you couldn't get into UCLA/USC and it's a better choice than Loyola/Pepperdine, so I really don't get the big deal here.

WUSTL and ND are midwest schools. ND doesn't have a home market, which can make things harder ITE. If you really love ND and are confident in your SoCal connections, then it's not a terrible choice, but law is regional. You are pretty sure of the region you want to work in. UCI has extremely small classes and they have a placement necessity. If you are willing to give up SoCal (possibly for good), then go to WUSTL/ND.

ohiodem
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:21 pm

Re: ND vs UCI vs WUSTL ?????

Postby ohiodem » Fri May 28, 2010 11:25 pm

FWIW, as a recent ND (under)grad, the alumni network is insane and has an exceptional presence in Cali. Fully aware of my own 0L status, I would also even venture to say it's worth bearing in mind that random 0L posters' friends and family are generally not the ones who will be hiring the OP...so maybe they're not the best measure of ND's professional reputation.

And anyway, if prestige is the big concern here: http://www.newsweek.com/2006/08/20/25-new-ivies.html

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: ND vs UCI vs WUSTL ?????

Postby romothesavior » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:00 pm

kdw94780 wrote:
notme wrote:As you probably already know, Romo, along with desert fox, troll TLS to knock down ND at every opportunity. Check his history. The only thing true about his statement that he does not go to a rival school is that WUSTL is not in ND's league.



You're right! Wustl is not in ND's league because it's above them according to virtually every USNWR ranking from undergrad to med to business to engineering.
The only thing ND has over WUSTL is division I sports, but on a website like "Top Law Schools.com," do you really care about the fact that ND used to be good at college football?

And for the record, I chose WUSTL over ND like many others for obvious reasons. I get sick and tired of ND trolls inflating their school's reputation and portability on here. You're not top 20, and you haven't ever been for a reason.

Oh, I vote UCI in this case!


Yes, I'm such a big troll for WUSTL and so anti-ND that I voted UCI in this case and picked Notre Dame over USC in one of these types of threads just a few days ago. :roll:

User avatar
20160810
Posts: 19648
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: ND vs UCI vs WUSTL ?????

Postby 20160810 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:22 pm

Voted ND because I'm just not drinking the UCI Koolaid until I have to.

ENGINEERD
Posts: 241
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:15 pm

Re: ND vs UCI vs WUSTL ????? (updated)

Postby ENGINEERD » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:20 pm

Update:

My Wash U scholarship has been bumped up to $15,000/yr!! Does this significantly change anything??? BTW thanks for still posting on this thread even though it has been on the brink of death several times!

User avatar
Regionality
Posts: 789
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:13 am

Re: ND vs UCI vs WUSTL ????? (updated)

Postby Regionality » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:41 pm

ENGINEERD wrote:Update:

My Wash U scholarship has been bumped up to $15,000/yr!! Does this significantly change anything??? BTW thanks for still posting on this thread even though it has been on the brink of death several times!


VERY NICE...but no, I don't think it does. Your concern is Cali...is Cali worth 15k?

ENGINEERD
Posts: 241
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:15 pm

Re: ND vs UCI vs WUSTL ????? (updated)

Postby ENGINEERD » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:10 am

Regionality wrote:
ENGINEERD wrote:Update:

My Wash U scholarship has been bumped up to $15,000/yr!! Does this significantly change anything??? BTW thanks for still posting on this thread even though it has been on the brink of death several times!


VERY NICE...but no, I don't think it does. Your concern is Cali...is Cali worth 15k?


Thanks, it is enough to make me reconsider but at the end of the day I think your right.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests