Decision Input Wanted- PNW Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which School

Willamette 12k/yr
6%
Seattle (sticker)
22%
Gonzaga 15.5k/yr
17%
Oregon (sticker)
56%

Total votes: 18

amorfati42

New

Decision Input Wanted- PNW

Post by amorfati42 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:39 am

I want to go to school in the PNW, and hopefully practice in Seattle or Portland or the surrounding areas after graduation. I am hoping to go into prosecution or family law. So far I have been accepted to Seattle with no money, Willamette with 12k a year, and Gonzaga with 15.5k a year. I have also applied to U of Oregon but haven't received a decision yet. I had borderline numbers for Oregon so I'm not sure what to expect, but I'll include it on the poll anyway.

I know Seattle and Oregon are higher ranked schools but I have a hard time justifying paying 38k tuition for Seattle (plus Seattle's high CoL) over the reduced tuition and low CoL from Willamette/Salem. Any thoughts?

eta: I should add I have visited Seattle U and Gonzaga and absolutely loved Seattle. I'm visiting the Oregon schools soon unless if Oregon rejects me before then.

Campagnolo

Silver

Re: Decision Input Wanted- PNW

Post by Campagnolo » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:48 am

Salem is a blemish on the backside of Oregon. Seriously, it's a major dump of a town. Eugene, however, is fantastic. Go there. It has a much better network of alumni.

amorfati42

New

Post by amorfati42 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:51 am

Campagnolo wrote:Salem is a blemish on the backside of Oregon. Seriously, it's a major dump of a town. Eugene, however, is fantastic. Go there. It has a much better network of alumni.
I'd love to go to UO but I haven't been heard back yet!

Anyone else?

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:15 am

Why did you put Oregon on the list? It would be U of O hands down if you got in.

I am probably at least as familiar and likely more familiar with these 3 schools than anyone on this board. Seattle U. is not really worth its price tag. Willamette is scary. Spokane is itself scary.

Between these 3 though, it would be Seattle U. in a heartbeat. Better QOL, better city, better prospects, better future living in an awesome city. Did I mention Seattle is a great city?

eldizknee

Bronze

Post by eldizknee » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:20 am

Last edited by eldizknee on Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SamSeaborn2016

Bronze

Post by SamSeaborn2016 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:24 am

Assuming you get in: Oregon. Oregon. Oregon.

I believe Willamette puts some steep GPA requirements on the scholly so it could be a teaser.

sophistry

Bronze

Post by sophistry » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:59 pm

SamSeaborn2016 wrote:Assuming you get in: Oregon. Oregon. Oregon.

I believe Willamette puts some steep GPA requirements on the scholly so it could be a teaser.
Agreed. Go with Oregon if you get in. If you don't, I'd probably choose Gonzaga so as to cut down on debt. If you really push yourself and succeed at Gonzaga, you can always transfer to L&C or Oregon. Avoid Seattle U. at sticker unless you have a lot of friends and family in Seattle.

From what I've heard from other attorneys, degree prestige isn't important when considering the market for family law. You're likely to start out low and have to build your reputation no matter where you go. Go with the school that's cheap!

amorfati42

New

Post by amorfati42 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:02 pm

Well I'm officially out at Oregon... so that makes this poll interesting now. It was down to Seattle U and Willamette now (visited Gonzaga and ruled it out), and I'm probably going to go with Willamette since they are offering me money.

seattlite

New

Post by seattlite » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:18 pm

Seattle U is a great school. If you want to stay in WA, it is best to go to UW or SU. U of Oregon is good for Oregon and well respected in the PNW, though I think SU is more well-regarded in WA than U of O is (though that seems like a non-issue now).

Anyway, while SU has a hefty price tag, the school is on the rise in the USN&WR, and they are getting a new Dean from American who will likely be continuing to increase the rankings. Also, SU has an amazing alumni network and if you do well as a 1L, you can get scholarships to help off-set tuition. SU also has a really strong social justice mission that I think bleads pretty well into family law that you said you are interested in.

You should sit-in on some SU classes to see the quality of education. It really is top-notch (at least based on the 2 classes that I sat in on)! They have faculty that were clerks for Supreme Court Justices like Justice Stevens who teach 1L classes. I don't think too many T2 schools can say that. IMHO, SU is underrated for its education (though, at sticker, it is expensive, and I understand that).

Best of luck in the decision! If you decide to go to SU, I may just be seeing you in class there. :D

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”