What're BU Law's Specific Strengths? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
shaps6

New

What're BU Law's Specific Strengths?

Post by shaps6 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:10 am

Hey kids,

What're BU Law's traditional strengths as a law school? Does it have any programs or concentrations that are better than others?

Just not sure.
Last edited by shaps6 on Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

dakatz

Gold

Re: BU Law Strengths?

Post by dakatz » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:12 am

Their faculty is known for being among the very best in the nation. Also, they have a renowned program in health law.

Cupidity

Gold

Re: What're BU Law's Specific Strengths?

Post by Cupidity » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:16 am

civil litigation clinic, prosecution clinic. Top dog in its market. I know you are thinking, HARVARD, but harvard grads scatter to the winds leaving BU in charge of the very desireable boston market. Good connections through key faculty to high rated public interest--ie: ACLU. I just visited and it was the most amazing experience ever. I'm not even kidding, it felt like home. Any questions, pm me.

shaps6

New

Post by shaps6 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:11 am

How well do they place grads in NYC/how portable is their degree?

Also, are they known for IP at all?

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:31 am

Tax.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kams

New

Post by kams » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:38 am

Before I came to BU, I had heard the professors were a strength. Nearing the close of my 1L year, I have to say the professors have been AWESOME! I doubt there is anywhere else in the country where the professors could be better. I know BU was ranked number 1 in Princeton Review for a while for best professors, although they might have been number 2. I would say that my experience at BU has been outstanding.

Xiaolong

Bronze

Post by Xiaolong » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:43 am

Cupidity wrote:civil litigation clinic, prosecution clinic. Top dog in its market. I know you are thinking, HARVARD, but harvard grads scatter to the winds leaving BU in charge of the very desireable boston market. Good connections through key faculty to high rated public interest--ie: ACLU. I just visited and it was the most amazing experience ever. I'm not even kidding, it felt like home. Any questions, pm me.

Don't forget BC though, which places equally well in Boston (at least as regards biglaw, don't know about PI and gov). I always felt that BC is the stronger school for Boston, while BU is a STRONG school for Boston with some decent East Coast mobility which BC seems to lack.

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:48 am

kams wrote:Before I came to BU, I had heard the professors were a strength. Nearing the close of my 1L year, I have to say the professors have been AWESOME! I doubt there is anywhere else in the country where the professors could be better. I know BU was ranked number 1 in Princeton Review for a while for best professors, although they might have been number 2. I would say that my experience at BU has been outstanding.
Have you had the singing professor yet?

kams

New

Post by kams » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:38 am

JOThompson wrote:
kams wrote:Before I came to BU, I had heard the professors were a strength. Nearing the close of my 1L year, I have to say the professors have been AWESOME! I doubt there is anywhere else in the country where the professors could be better. I know BU was ranked number 1 in Princeton Review for a while for best professors, although they might have been number 2. I would say that my experience at BU has been outstanding.
His name is Pettit. And hell yeah! he's awesome!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Mattalones

Silver

Post by Mattalones » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:51 am

I PMed this, but thought I could open it up too:
Mattalones from a PM wrote:I am choosing between BU and Fordham. I want to go back to CA after some years working on the east coast. My thoughts are that NY bar is more marketable to CA. So, the option is, less know LS for better placement in NY or more known LS for lower placement in NY.
What are your thoughts?

tram988

Silver

Post by tram988 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:57 am

Xiaolong wrote:
Cupidity wrote:civil litigation clinic, prosecution clinic. Top dog in its market. I know you are thinking, HARVARD, but harvard grads scatter to the winds leaving BU in charge of the very desireable boston market. Good connections through key faculty to high rated public interest--ie: ACLU. I just visited and it was the most amazing experience ever. I'm not even kidding, it felt like home. Any questions, pm me.

Don't forget BC though, which places equally well in Boston (at least as regards biglaw, don't know about PI and gov). I always felt that BC is the stronger school for Boston, while BU is a STRONG school for Boston with some decent East Coast mobility which BC seems to lack.
Cant blame him for trying to pass that haha. BC has been top dog in Boston since 1987 and BU has recently become a co-topdog since 2004 :)

source: see prelawhandbook historical us news rankings

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:52 pm

kams wrote:
JOThompson wrote:
His name is Pettit. And hell yeah! he's awesome!
He's pretty cool, I observed one of his classes last fall. We didn't get to hear him sing, sadly.

kams

New

Post by kams » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:43 pm

tram988 wrote:
Xiaolong wrote:

Cant blame him for trying to pass that haha. BC has been top dog in Boston since 1987 and BU has recently become a co-topdog since 2004 :)

You BC kids are cute. Even in a topic about BU (that has nothing whatsoever to do with BC) the insecurity still compels you to post about BC out of fear that everyone overlooks you guys.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:47 pm

kams wrote:
tram988 wrote:
Xiaolong wrote:

You BC kids are cute. Even in a topic about BU (that has nothing whatsoever to do with BC) the insecurity still compels you to post about BC out of fear that everyone overlooks you guys.
And that was one of the best parts about BU, as opposed to my visit at BC: the lack of inferiority complex. Sure, BU is close to Harvard, but no one compares the two. And people at BU didn't give BC a second thought. Yet people at BC kept trashing BU and trying to say how they were better in this and that. Really turned me off to BC. So the overall attitude of the BU student body seemed much more positive to me.

kams

New

Post by kams » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:10 pm

Don't forget BC though, which places equally well in Boston (at least as regards biglaw, don't know about PI and gov). I always felt that BC is the stronger school for Boston, while BU is a STRONG school for Boston with some decent East Coast mobility which BC seems to lack.[/quote]

source: see prelawhandbook historical us news rankings[/quote]

You BC kids are cute. Even in a topic about BU (that has nothing whatsoever to do with BC) the insecurity still compels you to post about BC out of fear that everyone overlooks you guys.[/quote]

And that was one of the best parts about BU, as opposed to my visit at BC: the lack of inferiority complex. Sure, BU is close to Harvard, but no one compares the two. And people at BU didn't give BC a second thought. Yet people at BC kept trashing BU and trying to say how they were better in this and that. Really turned me off to BC. So the overall attitude of the BU student body seemed much more positive to me.[/quote]

I totally know what you mean. It was the exact same way at my ASD at both schools last year!

imisscollege

Bronze

Post by imisscollege » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:16 pm

okay I know this is just playing into the whole "bring up bc in a bu thread thing" but I have to ask the most avid BU supporters, how much MORE money would BC have to give you than BU for you to think BC is the better choice?

tram988

Silver

Post by tram988 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:23 pm

Lol such animosity from the bu cheerleaders. I was just making an objection to the above claim that bu is the top dog in it's market. It shares that title. I would hardly consider that trashing bu ha.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:30 pm

imisscollege wrote:okay I know this is just playing into the whole "bring up bc in a bu thread thing" but I have to ask the most avid BU supporters, how much MORE money would BC have to give you than BU for you to think BC is the better choice?
I would probably say about 5K or more a year. I really like the benefit of being in the city of Boston itself, plus I plan on leaving Boston for other areas in the Northeast, and BU seems to place better outside of Boston. So it would take about 15K or more over 3 years to outweigh those benefits. Right now, BU is offering me 25K, which hopefully will get raised to 30K. But if BC came back and said something around 35K, then I'd give it a hard look regardless.

imisscollege

Bronze

Post by imisscollege » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:34 pm

dakatz wrote:
imisscollege wrote:okay I know this is just playing into the whole "bring up bc in a bu thread thing" but I have to ask the most avid BU supporters, how much MORE money would BC have to give you than BU for you to think BC is the better choice?
I would probably say about 5K or more a year. I really like the benefit of being in the city of Boston itself, plus I plan on leaving Boston for other areas in the Northeast, and BU seems to place better outside of Boston. So it would take about 15K or more over 3 years to outweigh those benefits. Right now, BU is offering me 25K, which hopefully will get raised to 30K. But if BC came back and said something around 35K, then I'd give it a hard look regardless.
BC has me for 18K a year and I have no word yet from BU. I like everything I hear about the atmosphere of BC relative to BU but we'll see what I think after the admitted student stuff next week. Are you going?

kams

New

Post by kams » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:37 pm

tram988 wrote:Lol such animosity from the bu cheerleaders. I was just making an objection to the above claim that bu is the top dog in it's market. It shares that title. I would hardly consider that trashing bu ha.
I like how you always think everyone has animosity toward you. I don't think anyone said anything to that effect against you in particular. We were just noting the insecurity of BC kids on the forum and at ASW

imisscollege

Bronze

Post by imisscollege » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:39 pm

kams wrote:
tram988 wrote:Lol such animosity from the bu cheerleaders. I was just making an objection to the above claim that bu is the top dog in it's market. It shares that title. I would hardly consider that trashing bu ha.
I like how you always think everyone has animosity toward you. I don't think anyone said anything to that effect against you in particular. We were just noting the insecurity of BC kids on the forum and at ASW
I wasn't at BC's ASW. Could you elaborate with an example or two of the insecurity?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

shaps6

New

Post by shaps6 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:42 pm

Right...so...getting back on track here...

Is there any reason to think that BU isn't really a great place for people wanting to get into entertainment law?

tram988

Silver

Post by tram988 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:24 pm

kams wrote:
Haha quite to the contrary. I have found most people on this forum incredibly helpful! I didn't notice any insecurity at the BC ASW. I see how that could be annoying. I think part of it is that since BU is ranked #20 currently according to U.S. News that everyone automatically assumes that BU is the better school when in reality they are almost identical in most respects, including big law placement.

bceagles182

Silver

Post by bceagles182 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:27 pm

tram988 wrote:
kams wrote:
Haha quite to the contrary. I have found most people on this forum incredibly helpful! I didn't notice any insecurity at the BC ASW. I see how that could be annoying. I think part of it is that since BU is ranked #20 currently according to U.S. News that everyone automatically assumes that BU is the better school when in reality they are almost identical in most respects, including big law placement.
It's possible that you're right about law school but BU undergrad has a HUGE inferiority complex against BC undergrad.

tram988

Silver

Post by tram988 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:34 pm

bceagles182 wrote:
tram988 wrote:
kams wrote:
It's possible that you're right about law school but BU undergrad has a HUGE inferiority complex against BC undergrad.
Yeah I do know of this. BU is a TT undergrad while BC is ranked #34 or #36 nationally.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”