Texas Wesleyan? ...SMU..?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
CV108

Texas Wesleyan? ...SMU..?

Postby CV108 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:43 pm

I have a very weird dilemma.

I am from IL, and had planned on living at home and attending a law school in IL. Now my parents are moving to TX, and I will no longer be able to live at home and attend said law school (only one I applied to - knew I'd get in, was all set). So I had to scramble to send apps into SMU and Texas Wesleyan. I am waitlisted at SMU (or really- just held for further review until the end of April), and it's a reach school for me. I really do want to go there- but the odds of me getting in are slim.
I have not heard back from Texas Wesleyan yet, but my numbers are definitely above their averages and I have very good softs.

I know Texas Wesleyan is a tier 4 school, but can anyone really give me some info about the school? How BAD of a school is it? I really am looking for honesty here.

The other option is taking a year off (I'm in undergrad now- graduating in May) and reapplying to SMU. If I took a year off and just worked a retail/food service job would that look bad to SMU? I plan on re-taking the LSAT too if I do take a year off.

I'm sorry this is so long! But i really would appreciate any advice that you may have!

Thanks.

TCScrutinizer

Re: Texas Wesleyan? ...SMU..?

Postby TCScrutinizer » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:46 pm

I would take a year off and reapply. SMU actually likes work experience a lot, especially if you can show positive progress in the job you work in.

Being from Texas, I don't even know where TW is. You're far better off waiting for next cycle and going for SMU or even Houston, which is less of a reach and still a decent school.

merichard87

Postby merichard87 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:53 pm

I'm from Texas so I can give you the opinions I have gotten on Texas Weslayan and they are not good. If you want to go BIGLaw dont go TWU. Wait out the year and apply again at SMU or maybe even Baylor and especially UT if your numbers will hold (these are all suggestions for Texas BigLaw, if you want to go back to IL I have no idea) If you don't want to go to BIGLaw honestly I would still tell you to wait a year simply because a TWU degree would not have much mobility outside Texas (or even in Texas) and since you are originally from IL you may end up with a hot job back home.

Also, you may want to check on the residency laws. It may be more beneficial to you to wait the year anyway so you would have had a Texas address for a year and can claim residency and in-state tuition.

And what kind of bachelor's do you have that your only option is retail?

HTH and Good luck.

HBK

Postby HBK » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:58 pm

What's wrong with living on your own? Do you suffer from a disability, have to take care of your parents, or are you just debt averse?

TCScrutinizer

Postby TCScrutinizer » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:50 am

I think he just wants to save money by living at home.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”