Needing Some Opinions (T30 vs T1$ vs T2s$)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where to choose

Fordham - Sticker
30%
W&M - 17k/year
55%
Cardozo - 34k/year
10%
Brooklyn - 34k/year
5%
LMU - 28k/year
No votes

Total votes: 20

NoleinNY

Needing Some Opinions (T30 vs T1$ vs T2s$)

Postby NoleinNY » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:11 pm

I know there are a few threads like this but none with my exact situation. My cycle is coming to a close and have heard from most schools (Southern Cal and UNC are quiet, though USC isn't looking promising given my cycle). I am open to living in either NYC or LA; while I have ties to NY tri-state, I have a number of friends and family who live out in LA. I'm interested in either pursing federal government work or communication/Internet/media law; not sure if the latter would mean big law, specialty firm or company counsel.

I'm waiting to hear from Fordham and may qualify for some need based cash, but nothing dramatic.

William and Mary offered a 17k in help with (I believe) GPA stipulations, though COA is much lower.

Brooklyn and Cardozo both offered about 34k with GPA stipulations (top 40%)

Loyola is offering 28k, also with GPA stipulations [noticing a pattern?] (top 30%)

I was waitlisted from BC and plan on keeping in touch but don't expect anything outside of possible need based $.

patrickd139

Re: Needing Some Opinions (T30 vs T1$ vs T2s$)

Postby patrickd139 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:16 pm

NoleinNY wrote:I know there are a few threads like this but none with my exact situation. My cycle is coming to a close and have heard from most schools (Southern Cal and UNC are quiet, though USC isn't looking promising given my cycle). I am open to living in either NYC or LA; while I have ties to NY tri-state, I have a number of friends and family who live out in LA. I'm interested in either pursing federal government work or communication/Internet/media law; not sure if the latter would mean big law, specialty firm or company counsel.

I'm waiting to hear from Fordham and may qualify for some need based cash, but nothing dramatic.

[strike]William and Mary offered a 17k in help with (I believe) GPA stipulations, though COA is much lower.[/strike]

[strike]Brooklyn and Cardozo both offered about 34k with GPA stipulations (top 40%)[/strike]

Loyola is offering 28k, also with GPA stipulations [noticing a pattern?] (top 30%)

I was waitlisted from BC and plan on keeping in touch but don't expect anything outside of possible need based $.

Based on your available options, and striking out those with scholarship conditions, I would suggest Fordham, if you want to practice in NYC, Loyola if you want to practice in LA (since it's the only Cali school you're in at; and only then if you don't mind paying sticker if the scholarship doesn't work out).

In, all it depends on how debt-averse you are.

Edited for Loyola LA, because reading comp wasn't my strong suit, apparently.

NoleinNY

Postby NoleinNY » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:05 pm

While I'm not completely debt averse, I can't tell what is really worth it in the coming economy.

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:39 pm

You possibly want to work in Government?

W&M has a pretty good connection to D.C.

Its got a great ranking, and that price + col is hard to beat.

however, I'd be interested in scholarship stipulations.

Also, 30% scholarship stipulation is trash- hard to maintain. Also even if you can, I'd imagine itd be a very stressful three years, knowing that if you slip up on an exam or 2, you could pay thousands of extra dollars.

What is the stipulation for W&m?

ggocat

Postby ggocat » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:56 pm

What's your expected debt from each school?

I'd probably vote Brooklyn, Cardozo, or W&M, depending on your answer to the above. (I'm not familiar enough with B or C to recommend one of those schools over the other, though).

I agree that 30% stipulation is not good at all. The 40% stipulation is a little lame, as well, but doesn't Brooklyn do a graduated renewal requirement (i.e., you can renew a portion of the scholarship if you're outside the top 40%)?

NoleinNY

Postby NoleinNY » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:06 pm

For the NY/LA schools, it's about 65k a year COA, so LMU is covering about 1/3rd, and Brooklyn and Cardozo are covering about half. I estimate about 100-140k in debt (assuming I maintain the scholarships.) Both Cardozo and Brooklyn still offer percentages of their $ if I fall below the initial class rank, but am above others. Not sure if LMU offers that level of forgiveness.

I think W&M's COA is somewhere in the high 30s mid 40s and my total scholarship/grant/fellowship money is about 40% that.

An important note is that about $4000 of that money is from a taxable stipend for a fellowship offer. The other 13k or so comes from residency savings granted by the fellowship. That fellowship would also require me to work a number of hours for the school. The GPA stipulation requires a "B average." If I took it, maintained the grades, etc, my debt would be in the 60s to 70s. If I didn't take it, I would wind up in about 150k...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”