Better to be top 40% at a 20-30 or top 10% at TTT? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Slimpee

Silver

Better to be top 40% at a 20-30 or top 10% at TTT?

Post by Slimpee » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:16 pm

I would love to stay in the midwest but I wouldn't mind the east coast, either. My choice will likely come to one of three schools in the 20-30 range and a local, well-respected TTT. I have close to a full-ride at the TTT and also was admitted to a sort-of "honors" program that includes a RA position and extra seminars and networking events. Also, there's no guarantee i'd be top-10% at the TTT or top-40% at a T1 school. It could go either way, I suppose...

I'm really torn between being around the (perhaps perceived) more intellectually rigorous nature of the T1 schools and the scholly and honors program at the TTT.

I do have family help with cost so I wouldn't be taking out the entire debt load.

Also, I would prefer the more theoretical nature of the T1 schools as opposed to the more pragmatic, practice-based nature of the TTT.

Anyone else trying to make the same choice?

singingvontrapp

New

Re: Better to be top 40% at a 20-30 or top 10% at TTT?

Post by singingvontrapp » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:23 pm

It's best not to base important decisions on wildly unpredictable outcomes.

rando

Silver

Post by rando » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:33 pm

Neither one is in a particularly good spot ITE. But top 10% at TTT is probably has better odds if, as you say, it lies in a region where it is well-respected

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:40 pm

Depends on the school and the region. In St. Louis, for example, one is very likely better off being in the top 10% at SLU and making law review than the top 40% at WUSTL. In advance, I realize that SLU is not officially a TTT, but they are close enough to make my point.

reverendt

Bronze

Post by reverendt » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:49 pm

I would think in some instances (or perhaps most instances) it would be better to be top 10% at a TTT. (Alot would depend on its role in its particular market.)

HOWEVER....there's no guarantee that you'll be in the top 10%. In fact, odds are against any given person being in the top 10%, (that includes those who were accepted to far better schools.)

SO....you're taking a risk.
To go to the T1 school would be a much safer option.

Of course, the nearly free ride at the TTT changes things...it drastically reduces your headaches and potential nervous breakdown if you DON'T perform near the top of the class.

Things to consider.....but you have to assume that you WON'T be in the top 10% no matter where you go.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rando

Silver

Post by rando » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:00 pm

reverendt wrote:
HOWEVER....there's no guarantee that you'll be in the top 10%. In fact, odds are against any given person being in the top 10%, (that includes those who were accepted to far better schools.)
Not disagreeing. But to slightly derail... Do you think that is always true? Extreme example; accepted into T14 but choose a TTT instead for personal reasons. You really don't think it is more likely than not that you will be in the top 10%.

Not looking for an argument. Honest curiosity. My inclination is that you would have very good odds of doing extremely well at the TTT.

reverendt

Bronze

Post by reverendt » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:10 pm

rando wrote:
reverendt wrote:
Not disagreeing. But to slightly derail... Do you think that is always true? Extreme example; accepted into T14 but choose a TTT instead for personal reasons. You really don't think it is more likely than not that you will be in the top 10%.

Not looking for an argument. Honest curiosity. My inclination is that you would have very good odds of doing extremely well at the TTT.
I agree to an extent. However, the chances of doing very well still aren't high enough to justify going to a TTT on those grounds, if one has better options (not taking into account $$$). Any given person, no matter how smart, how high an LSAT, and how good they did in undergrad, could turn out to have merely average skills when it comes to law school exams (which is a very particular skill).

rando

Silver

Post by rando » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:33 pm

reverendt wrote:
rando wrote:
reverendt wrote:

I agree to an extent. However, the chances of doing very well still aren't high enough to justify going to a TTT on those grounds, if one has better options (not taking into account $$$). Any given person, no matter how smart, how high an LSAT, and how good they did in undergrad, could turn out to have merely average skills when it comes to law school exams (which is a very particular skill).
Agreed. I wouldn't say to do it, all else being equal. But given circumstances ($$$, family, etc.) it is more likely to result in good grades...

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:35 pm

in my (limited) experience, grades matter much less in the new economy

connections are more important at this point

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”