confused between these 4 schools

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where do you think I should end up if I want to focus on international law?

University of San Francisco
18%
New York Law School
29%
Pace Law School (w/ $15,000)
21%
Northeastern Law School
32%

Total votes: 28

gts711

confused between these 4 schools

Postby gts711 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:06 pm

I'm super confused between:

University of San Francisco
Pace Law School (w/ $15,000 scholarship)
Northeastern
New York Law School

I've lived in New York for most of my life, attended NYU undergrad, and I'm hoping to transfer to a better school for my second year of law school, but these are the four options I have so far. I'm not sure what to do, because I want to work in NYC in the long run, but I think it would be nice to go to law school in California for a change, but I don't want that to hurt my chances of coming back to NYC to work. I've never really been to the west coast, and I'm hoping to visit before making my final decision.

Also -- I want to specialize in international law and definitely do a program where i can work abroad or study abroad, so that's another factor.

Would going to Northeastern hurt my chances of transferring out because there is no grading/ranking system?

I also want to be in a big city because I can't do small towns.

Any advice on where you think I should end up with all those factors?

Thanks!!

Nicholasnickynic

Re: confused between these 4 schools

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:29 pm

If you go to california, you will never make it back to new york.

If you go to pace, or NYLS, I imagine you'd get eaten alive going for the ny market.

I'd go for northeastern- certainly not a powerhouse in the Boston market, but they still place nicely.

That is if you can live in boston.

richardfitzwell

Postby richardfitzwell » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:31 pm

No.
No.
No.
No.

HTH.

CSKNJ

Postby CSKNJ » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:37 pm

Northeastern is the best school on your list. You really don't have a lot of choices if you want to practice in NY immediately upon graduating. I think your best bet is to go to Northeastern, get a decent job in the Boston area and then try to find something in NY a few years after you've built up you're credentials.

FullThrottle

Postby FullThrottle » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:49 pm

gts711 wrote:I've lived in New York for most of my life, attended NYU undergrad, and I'm hoping to transfer to a better school for my second year of law school........

Transferring is a competitive, time-consuming process. Depends on where you want to go and how much research you do.

gts711 wrote:I'm not sure what to do, because I want to work in NYC in the long run, but I think it would be nice to go to law school in California for a change, but I don't want that to hurt my chances of coming back to NYC to work........

1) Visit California.
2) Choose a coast to live on, unless you get into a T14.

gts711 wrote:Also -- I want to specialize in international law and definitely do a program where i can work abroad or study abroad, so that's another factor.......

Would going to Northeastern hurt my chances of transferring out because there is no grading/ranking system?

Northeastern is ... a marginal choice. Don't know about transferring from NE.

Why do you want to practice international law?

I'm asking because I'm wondering if you're dead set on going to law. Your uncertainty in the post makes me think otherwise.
Law school is not just a three year commitment but a decision impacting many, many years of your life.

Think carefully.

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:54 pm

Cant' find the none of the above

chicoalto0649

Postby chicoalto0649 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:59 pm

Cornell for NY

Berkeley for Cali

Harvard-BU-BC for Boston.

HTH

racie23

Postby racie23 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:34 pm

Northeastern!

ricking1288

Postby ricking1288 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:43 pm

you should choose a law school that you will be comfortable staying at for 3 years. Don't count on being able to transfer out and attend a better school because you simply dont know how well you do in law school. Like obviously if you do well 1L then do it but if you dont, you dont want to set yourself up for a disappointment. But my 2 cents is go to NYLS because its a good T3 that will give u better options than the public-interest minded Northeastern.

gts711

Postby gts711 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:17 pm

hey! thanks everyone for your opinions, they're really helpful. I'm disappointed with the schools I got into, but I just completely panicked during my LSAT, and I took it twice, and for some reason, I just wasn't doing well on it, even though I have a pretty high GPA coming out of NYU and majoring in international relations.

I've worked for 2 different firms in nyc, one as an intern during my undergrad years, and one as a paralegal, so I do have networks/connections in NY if I ever really wanted a job here according to my former employers. It's just kind of daunting to me because they all went to T14 schools.

I want to practice international law because its one of my passions -- I definitely want to work with lawyers without borders and practice abroad. I'm interested both in international trade and commerce and just transnational border issues. I was raised abroad and I can speak a few languages, so I'm interested in using that to my advantage when practicing law.

gts711

Postby gts711 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:23 pm

Also -- I'm still waiting on Chicago-Kent and St. John's and Drexel, but I don't know if those are much better or if I've even gotten in yet.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:27 pm

All I Law threads about TTTT are flame.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”