South Carolina Law vs. Charleston Law

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
TheCommish

South Carolina Law vs. Charleston Law

Postby TheCommish » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:55 pm

Does anyone have any opinions on the merits of the University of South Carolina School of Law vs. the Charleston School of Law? I want to practice in SC so I'm trying to decide between the two. I've got an OOS scholarship that will put my USC tuition at about $22k a year. Charleston Law is about $35k a year, I haven't gotten word of whether or not I'll be offered any scholarship money ([strike]I'm assuming I will be[/strike] Actually, I just realized I applied after the deadline for merit-based scholarships).

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.

mizzshae

Re: South Carolina Law vs. Charleston Law

Postby mizzshae » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:34 am

USC is a better school, it's been around longer, has a good alumni base, and it is ranked in the top 100. Charleston is too new, and isn't even ranked yet. I wouldn't even consider going to them with a full scholarship, let alone, no scholarship. USC is definitely the better option, and especially if they gave you a good scholarship.

SAOJD10

Postby SAOJD10 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:41 am

The entire state is basically Carolina grads and I do not even know if Charleston is accredited? If you want to practice in Carolina go to SC, its a solid tier 2 that dominates the region. 90k for a school like Charleston, that would limit you to that city alone (what is the legal market like in Charleston?), is a burden I would suggest to no one

TheCommish

Postby TheCommish » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:40 am

Thanks for the advice.

BTW, Charleston is accredited (but it might be provisionally).

Return to “Choosing a Law School”