Penn vs. Duke $$$

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Duke ($$$) vs. Penn (sticker)

Duke
93%
Penn
7%

Total votes: 29

quetzalcoatl

Penn vs. Duke $$$

Postby quetzalcoatl » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:38 pm

Im am trying to decide between Penn and Duke (with 60K). Im not sure exactly what kind of law I want to practice, but Im interested in public policy (fin reg specifically). I want to keep my options open. I would like to practice in texas (but that could change). I am waiting on a decision from chicago, im WL at Columbia, and have a offer ($$) at UT. Acceptance to U of C would make my decision more difficult, but I have started to lose hope that I will get in.

What does everybody think?

thickfreakness

Re: Penn vs. Duke $$$

Postby thickfreakness » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:43 pm

In this matchup, Duke wins. Duke's COL is lower than Philly, and with the 60K the loan difference would be substantial for what is basically similar placement odds.

Thomas Jefferson

Postby Thomas Jefferson » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:45 pm

quetzalcoatl wrote: I would like to practice in texas (but that could change) . . .and have a offer ($$) at UT

Depending upon how strong a qualifier that parenthetical is meant to be, leverage Duke to get more money from UT and go to Texas.

thickfreakness

Postby thickfreakness » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:54 pm

Thomas Jefferson wrote:
quetzalcoatl wrote: I would like to practice in texas (but that could change) . . .and have a offer ($$) at UT

Depending upon how strong a qualifier that parenthetical is meant to be, leverage Duke to get more money from UT and go to Texas.

Perhaps. But you were at Duke's ASO so you have the employment list that showed lots of placement into Texas biglaw from Duke.

quetzalcoatl

Postby quetzalcoatl » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:58 pm

Thomas Jefferson wrote:

The Texas offer is similar as a percent of tuition. I was actualy thinking about doing the opposite (trying to get more money from Duke, even if just a few thousand, by leveraging UT scholly and higher ranked acceptances (Penn, hopefully U of C)). The problem with UT is that if I change my mind, which could definitley happen, I will be stuck in Texas. I also have doubts about UT's legal writting program.

quetzalcoatl

Postby quetzalcoatl » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:01 pm

thickfreakness wrote:
Thomas Jefferson wrote:

Perhaps. But you were at Duke's ASO so you have the employment list that showed lots of placement into Texas biglaw from Duke.

Exactly. Lots of Fullbright & Javorsky positions in Texas from Duke. I even think I saw one at the coveted Austin office.

thickfreakness

Postby thickfreakness » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:14 pm

quetzalcoatl wrote:
thickfreakness wrote:
Thomas Jefferson wrote:

Exactly. Lots of Fullbright & Javorsky positions in Texas from Duke. I even think I saw one at the coveted Austin office.

Yep, with some nice Baker & Botts placements, as well. I spoke to a 3L who was going to Baker & Botts who was originally from MD and basically just wanted to work in Dallas and got the job.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”