POLL Choosin between comparable in-state schools(AZ schools) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UA Wildcat or ASU Sun Devil?

University of Arizona in Tucson
37%
Arizona State in Phoenix
63%

Total votes: 99

pepsi

New

POLL Choosin between comparable in-state schools(AZ schools)

Post by pepsi » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:07 pm

So, I am trying to make a decision between two in-state schools. I need your advice, fellow TLS'ers. Should I go to Arizona State (ASU) or University of Arizona (U of A)? Here's the rundown of my situation:

-It will cost me roughly $15,000/year to attend U of A and roughly $20,000/year to attend ASU (got a scholarship from U of A, but not ASU) However, I have no living expenses if I live in Phoenix (can stay with family), but I would have to pay rent in Tucson (approximately $500/month)
-Desired Location: I am from Phoenix and love it! I want to live here forever! I never plan to live in Tucson after graduation.
-Desired Job: I plan to work at a mid-sized firm or at a corporate office in Phoenix upon graduation.

So... what should I do?? I have visited both and I have positive impressions of the people and facilities at both schools. Based on cost of attendance and my career goals, what should I do? Thanks, guys!
Last edited by pepsi on Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:39 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Dany

Diamond

Re: How to choose between comparable in-state schools

Post by Dany » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:10 pm

You know the answer to this.

TonyDigital

Bronze

Post by TonyDigital » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:12 pm

eskimo wrote:You know the answer to this.
I agree...why are you even considering the other school at all?

pepsi

New

Post by pepsi » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:18 pm

Thanks for the input, guys! I just want whatever school puts me in the best position to get a job in Phoenix after graduation. I can put up with Tucson for the short term, so I'm wondering if U of A puts me in a better position for the Phoenix jobs.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:19 pm

I would think that U of A does. It certinaly does with biglaw, w midlaw it proly depends on what school the hiring partner went to.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

darknightbegins

Silver

Post by darknightbegins » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:22 pm

If you want to live in Phoneix and you will basically be paying the same when it comes to cost of living vs scholly money than go to ASU. Chicks are hotter and you won't have to move after graduation.

msbeautifulbasham

Bronze

Post by msbeautifulbasham » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:27 pm

darknightbegins wrote:If you want to live in Phoneix and you will basically be paying the same when it comes to cost of living vs scholly money than go to ASU. Chicks are hotter and you won't have to move after graduation.
hahaha i love how the hot chicks is always the argument for ASU. Although, I myself am I chick, I must admit that the girls are much better looking at ASU. So are the men. It is definitely a very noticeable difference. From my observations, as someone who has throughly researched both schools, the men look like trolls at U of A compared to the bronzed gods roaming the streets of Tempe.

It's gonna be a great 3 years in Tempe. Hope to see you there! :)

msbeautifulbasham

Bronze

Post by msbeautifulbasham » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:31 pm

I'm curious what people's feedback for you is, so I'm gonna post this link in the ASU thread. Good luck with your decision.

pepsi

New

Post by pepsi » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:40 pm

msbeautifulbasham wrote:I'm curious what people's feedback for you is, so I'm gonna post this link in the ASU thread. Good luck with your decision.
thanks, Bash.

Ahhhh 50/50 on the poll. Right down the middle...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mepg

New

Re: Choosing between comparable in-state schools (AZ schools)

Post by mepg » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:45 pm

I am a 1L at ASU and since I am a bit lazy at the moment I am going to post what I put on the other thread. Really, in Phoenix, I don't think one school is better than the other. Since it sounds like you want to be in Phoenix, I would stay here (obviously because that is what I did!). Be sure to PM me with any questions and congrats on becoming a Wildcat or a Sun Devil!

I have enjoyed it so far. I do not at all regret my decision to pick ASU over UA. I will say that I have a couple of 1L friends at UA, and they like it. However, they have spent every break in Phoenix and will be relocating for summer. I was not a huge fan of Tucson but could have done it for three years. More significantly, I am not at all a fan of constantly re-locating (went out of state for college so I did I went back and forth quite a bit).

In my opinion, anyone who says one school is extremely better than the other is wrong. While each school might have small advantages over the other, they are pretty equal (especially placing in Phoenix). In Phoenix, when it comes to externship and job placements, everything seems equal.

My best advice is to go with whichever school and location feels better to you. While I liked both law schools equally, I like Phoenix much better than Tuscon and believe that being the only established law school in Phoenix is invaluable. It seems like networking would be much easier during the school year at ASU since the school is within 20 minutes to most major firms. It is also nice to live in a place you enjoy. Yet many people like Tucson so that might be a better fit for you.

One other thought if you do end up leaning toward ASU is to see if they can match UA's $$. I hope this helps, and let me know if you have other questions regarding the schools.

pepsi

New

Post by pepsi » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:48 pm

mepg wrote:I am a 1L at ASU and since I am a bit lazy at the moment I am going to post what I put on the other thread. Really, in Phoenix, I don't think one school is better than the other. Since it sounds like you want to be in Phoenix, I would stay here (obviously because that is what I did!). Be sure to PM me with any questions and congrats on becoming a Wildcat or a Sun Devil!
Thanks mepg! Who would I confront about a scholarship negotiation? Is ASU generally very receptive to that? Thank you so much for your help!!

pepsi

New

Post by pepsi » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:54 pm

pepsi wrote:
mepg wrote:I am a 1L at ASU and since I am a bit lazy at the moment I am going to post what I put on the other thread. Really, in Phoenix, I don't think one school is better than the other. Since it sounds like you want to be in Phoenix, I would stay here (obviously because that is what I did!). Be sure to PM me with any questions and congrats on becoming a Wildcat or a Sun Devil!
Thanks mepg! Who would I confront about a scholarship negotiation? Is ASU generally very receptive to that? Thank you so much for your help!!
nevermind. Just saw your answer in another thread... Thanks:)

darknightbegins

Silver

Post by darknightbegins » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:55 pm

msbeautifulbasham wrote:
darknightbegins wrote:If you want to live in Phoneix and you will basically be paying the same when it comes to cost of living vs scholly money than go to ASU. Chicks are hotter and you won't have to move after graduation.
hahaha i love how the hot chicks is always the argument for ASU. Although, I myself am I chick, I must admit that the girls are much better looking at ASU. So are the men. It is definitely a very noticeable difference. From my observations, as someone who has throughly researched both schools, the men look like trolls at U of A compared to the bronzed gods roaming the streets of Tempe.

Yeah if I end up going to ASU I may really consider getting my chest waxed and getting the spray on tan (don't do tanning beds, UV kills kids). But hot chicks are an important consideration for school, especially two schools this evenly matched.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

msbeautifulbasham

Bronze

Post by msbeautifulbasham » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:58 pm

darknightbegins wrote:
msbeautifulbasham wrote:

Yeah if I end up going to ASU I may really consider getting my chest waxed and getting the spray on tan (don't do tanning beds, UV kills kids). But hot chicks are an important consideration for school, especially two schools this evenly matched.
A hot student body is definitely an important factor in any decision. it all comes down to quality of life ;)

Burgstaller04

Silver

Re: POLL Choosin between comparable in-state schools(AZ schools)

Post by Burgstaller04 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:01 pm

If you leave Phoenix, it's obviously because you hate your family and don't wanna live with them. ;)

asu_pat

New

Post by asu_pat » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:16 pm

I vote ASU!

cLams

Bronze

Post by cLams » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:25 pm

I vote ASU! I'm also facing this decision. Although I favor UofA for personal and professional reasons, ASU sounds like the best match for you. If you love Phoenix and it will cost you less to live there, go to ASU!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

aIvin adams

Bronze

Post by aIvin adams » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:42 pm

pepsi wrote: -Desired Location: I am from Phoenix and love it! I want to live here forever! I never plan to live in Tucson after graduation.
-Desired Job: I plan to work at a mid-sized firm or at a corporate office in Phoenix upon graduation.
this makes it a no-brainer IMO. while both degrees are respected in the phoenix area, you will be missing out on 3 years of employment and professional networking opportunities if you go to tucson.

rent + food > $500! :D with new bill you can probably continue to get health coverage from yer parents. not to mention you will have people on whom you can rely to help you out when yer in a bind. also im going to asu and im pretty important.

asu.

pepsi

New

Post by pepsi » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:51 pm

thank you everyone for the help. Looks like ASU is probably the right choice for me.

aIvin adams

Bronze

Post by aIvin adams » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:01 pm

pepsi wrote:thank you everyone for the help. Looks like ASU is probably the right choice for me.
TRICKED

this thread was linked to dean soto and now she knows not to negotiate financial aid!!

jk- yay! hope to see you apr 9th. dont forget about the asu thread!! http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 5&t=112031

pepsi

New

Post by pepsi » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:25 pm

Would someone who voted for Arizona please justify that response?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

beardown_tho

New

Post by beardown_tho » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:29 pm

better reputation, better placement

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:30 pm

From asking around biglaw cutoff is 10% at U of A, 5% at ASU. Top of class at U of A also has a shot at SOCAL (not that this is an issue for you). Higher meidan starting sallary.

EDIT: Also, it seems as if a HUGE portion of the class at ASU ends up funemployed. Don't go unless you are ok with being a legal consultant.

Double edit: Not trolling --> if you could reasonably get a good job out of ASU, I would be going there. Tempe = most awsome place on earth.

Vincent Vega

Silver

Post by Vincent Vega » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:37 pm

I voted U of A, but I thought it was the one in Phoenix. I change my vote to ASU.

I think it would have been helpful for respondents if you had told people which school was in which city.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:38 pm

^ If you don't know this, you cannot possibly have an insightful comment into this decision.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”