Want to move to DC but....limited to regional schools??

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
koco501

Want to move to DC but....limited to regional schools??

Postby koco501 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:39 pm

I want to live in DC but I was only accepted to lower T2 schools outside the DC region.

WL at U of Maryland
WL at Catholic
WL at W&L
Full Ride at U of Baltimore (T4)
20,000 per year at St Louis Univ
10,000 per year at Loyola Chicago

What should I do, if I choose any of these schools I will want to move to DC after graduating, how difficult will that actually be since they are not T30 schools:( also considering transferring or getting an LLM after JD in DC region. Any thoughts?

nixxers

Re: Want to move to DC but....limited to regional schools??

Postby nixxers » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:42 pm

can you retake lsat and apply again next year? I know it sucks but... :-/

koco501

Postby koco501 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:55 pm

nixxers wrote:can you retake lsat and apply again next year? I know it sucks but... :-/

I would do that, but I already took the LSAT 2x and would really like to start school and move on with my life. AND, I worry that admission criteria is getting more difficult each year:(

yeff

Postby yeff » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:58 pm

Go to Baltimore, work in Baltimore, and take the MARC train from your home in DC. :wink:

Sorry I don't have something more helpful to offer.

Snowdrifter

Postby Snowdrifter » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:58 pm

Baltimore has shockingly good placement for a T4. It's not really that far from DC if you're taking the metro or have a GPS device to detour around traffic spots. :D

I'd put your deposit down at Baltimore for now, and take W&L or UMD if they let you in. Hell, some of the Balt alums here might even recommend taking the full ride there instead of UMD. ;)

With a full ride at Baltimore, you'd just be pissing away cash to take Catholic instead. Is actually being IN DC worth paying sticker at Catholic? They're already competing with GULC, GW, W&L, W&M, AU, UMD ...

Disclaimer: Normally I'm a big "jesus christ dont take the T3/T4 regional offers" guy, but when you're comparing them to T2's, it's not as sizeable of an advantage to take the ranked school. Plus, my best friend's wife is a Baltimore 2L with sub-grades, but benefiting immensely from the nice UBaltimore alum network in the city. This doesn't mean you'll be that lucky, but DC is a big distraction and it seems that Baltimore is often passed over as a potential place to practice, so it's largely dominated by UMD and Baltimore grads.

achang

Postby achang » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:18 am

Snowdrifter wrote:Baltimore has shockingly good placement for a T4. It's not really that far from DC if you're taking the metro or have a GPS device to detour around traffic spots. :D

I'd put your deposit down at Baltimore for now, and take W&L or UMD if they let you in. Hell, some of the Balt alums here might even recommend taking the full ride there instead of UMD. ;)

With a full ride at Baltimore, you'd just be pissing away cash to take Catholic instead. Is actually being IN DC worth paying sticker at Catholic? They're already competing with GULC, GW, W&L, W&M, AU, UMD ...

Disclaimer: Normally I'm a big "jesus christ dont take the T3/T4 regional offers" guy, but when you're comparing them to T2's, it's not as sizeable of an advantage to take the ranked school. Plus, my best friend's wife is a Baltimore 2L with sub-grades, but benefiting immensely from the nice UBaltimore alum network in the city. This doesn't mean you'll be that lucky, but DC is a big distraction and it seems that Baltimore is often passed over as a potential place to practice, so it's largely dominated by UMD and Baltimore grads.

Ubalt is really good if you want to practice in Maryland, other than that, well, that's just risky.

I got into UBALT and Catholic, will be choosing catholic because of a "small" scholarship, the distance from DC (great jobs opportunities) and the reputation. Ultimately, Catholic is still within 100 and is considered the 4th best in DC.

I visited UB and wasn't really impressed, and personally, don't like bmore that much. The classrooms and faculty at CUA are pretty legit.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”