CLS/NYU vs GULC PT vs Duke

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
yeff

CLS/NYU vs GULC PT vs Duke

Postby yeff » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:05 pm

Last edited by yeff on Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.

singingvontrapp

Re: CLS/NYU vs GULC PT vs Duke

Postby singingvontrapp » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:09 pm

You referred to your SO as "they," so I'm going to say BYU or Utah.

jakeoooh

Postby jakeoooh » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:10 pm

All solid choices. The consensus seems to be that NYU has the best PI prospects, and one of the best LRAPs (on par with Yale if I remember the side-by-side comparison). I would say that for your interests, NYU>CLS>Duke,Gtown.

yeff

Postby yeff » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:18 pm

singingvontrapp wrote:You referred to your SO as "they," so I'm going to say BYU or Utah.

Maybe I should edit this. Haha I am quite far from Mormon.

I am just an evangelist for the use of the "singular they."

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/26/magaz ... age-t.html

yeff

Re: CLS/NYU vs The Caboose of the T13 PT vs Tucker Max Universit

Postby yeff » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:46 pm

April fools bump - I'm getting an unsurprisingly overwhelming response. So do people think I'm nuts for leaning towards Gtown right now, due to their awesome new LRAP, in-year internship/job opportunities, and family (SO and puppy) preference?

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:57 pm

You're not totally nuts. GULC is good for DC and has a solid LRAP. But NYU is the school for government and PI work (short of HYS, anyway), and they have the network more than anyone else, even in DC. Going to GULC won't prevent you from getting a good PI job in DC, but you'd be a little bit more secure at NYU.

Also, try negotiating with GULC to get them to match that scholarship at Duke. I would be really surprised if they didn't at least match a scholarship from a higher-ranked school. With a $48k scholarship at GULC, the NYU/GULC choice would be a tougher one.

Columbia and Duke don't really factor here. Columbia would be obvious if you wanted biglaw, and Duke if you wanted to work in the South, but NYU and GULC are the only contenders for DC PI work.

detljgh

Postby detljgh » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:00 pm

Last edited by detljgh on Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

violinst

Postby violinst » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:01 pm

yeff wrote:April fools bump - I'm getting an unsurprisingly overwhelming response. So do people think I'm nuts for leaning towards Gtown right now, due to their awesome new LRAP, in-year internship/job opportunities, and family (SO and puppy) preference?

No. G-town PT is a good choice given your situation.

violinst

Postby violinst » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:03 pm

detljgh wrote:Actually I'd be surprised if they did match. I tried with Mich and gave me about half what Mich was offering (much less if you factor in COL difference). I know several others who ran into the same thing, including some with T6 offers. Gtown is just stingy and I think they have a slightly inflated sense of their own self worth.

That's a bummer, for I may try to do the same.

wackadoodle

Postby wackadoodle » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:41 pm

I am currently in the same situation NYU/Columbia/Gtown and pretty positive that I'll be heading to DC in the fall. NYU does have a nice LRAP but not as great as the Georgetown one. I also have a SO who will have better career prospects in DC. I hear you on the feeling crazy for passing on NYU and its been a really hard choice (influenced partly by the career prospects for the SO I admit) but I also felt like gtown was a really good "fit" for me. So while I think I am obviously out on a limb with my decision its certainly not the craziest think in the world. Its a really tough choice- good luck with your decision!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”