Texas vs. ND

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Help!

Texas
85%
Notre Dame
15%

Total votes: 47

Pearalegal

Texas vs. ND

Postby Pearalegal » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:27 pm

So I have $18,000 at ND, though they are reconsidering my offer after I sent in a negotiation letter. I like ND a lot, especially the small class size, football and what seems like happy students. I don't mind the weather. I enjoyed the ASD I recently went to, but was surprisingly put off by some of the student body. The majority of people I met were either tied to the hip to a sigificant other or parent. I think I had exactly 2 interactions with students by themselves. Not sure why, but it bugged me.

Second option is Texas at sticker. I really like everything I've heard about Texas, and am going to visit at the mini-ASD the 9th. Austin sounds like a blast, and I really, really like the clinics Texas has to offer. I'm liberal, so the fact there are more opportunities to pursue such issues is a plus. I've never been to Texas. Heard its warm.

I'm open to working anywhere, though I would like to be in the DC area if I could choose. I'm a little worried about Texas' national placement but again...its not like I have any big necessity to be there.

Its just me taking off for law school, so it really just comes down to whats best for my future. And I am confused.

Pearalegal

Re: Texas vs. ND

Postby Pearalegal » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:44 pm

Anybody who voted want to tell me why? :mrgreen:

JordynAsh

Postby JordynAsh » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:50 pm

Pearalegal wrote:So I have $18,000 at ND, though they are reconsidering my offer after I sent in a negotiation letter. I like ND a lot, especially the small class size, football and what seems like happy students. I don't mind the weather. I enjoyed the ASD I recently went to, but was surprisingly put off by some of the student body. The majority of people I met were either tied to the hip to a sigificant other or parent. I think I had exactly 2 interactions with students by themselves. Not sure why, but it bugged me.

Second option is Texas at sticker. I really like everything I've heard about Texas, and am going to visit at the mini-ASD the 9th. Austin sounds like a blast, and I really, really like the clinics Texas has to offer. I'm liberal, so the fact there are more opportunities to pursue such issues is a plus. I've never been to Texas. Heard its warm.

I'm open to working anywhere, though I would like to be in the DC area if I could choose. I'm a little worried about Texas' national placement but again...its not like I have any big necessity to be there.

Its just me taking off for law school, so it really just comes down to whats best for my future. And I am confused.

Come to Texas! I've been here for UG and absolutely love Austin. More importantly, I think Texas will give you a better shot at DC than ND (assuming similar class rank). While you should definitely wait until you visit to decide, I think you'll enjoy Austin and the student body (based off my impressions at ASD.)

Pearalegal

Postby Pearalegal » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:29 pm

Thanks! If it helps, the total different in attending (including all living expenses) is $35,000.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:53 pm

Keep in mind that you can get in-state tuition at UT for 2L and 3L years

Pearalegal

Postby Pearalegal » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:54 pm

f0bolous wrote:Keep in mind that you can get in-state tuition at UT for 2L and 3L years

Wait, really?

mcflooter06

Postby mcflooter06 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:55 pm

Pearalegal wrote:
f0bolous wrote:Keep in mind that you can get in-state tuition at UT for 2L and 3L years

Wait, really?

Its very difficult to do so, so I wouldn't count on it.

Pearalegal

Postby Pearalegal » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:01 pm

mcflooter06 wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:

Wait, really?

Yeah, ok, thats what a thought after ready through the requirements. Just need to find a Texas resident to marry sometime during 1L, I guess. Bring on the boys.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:02 pm

mcflooter06 wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:

Wait, really?

not really...i had a chat with the residency office during ASD

you just need to plan everything in advance

@ Pearalegal...see PM

bigred82

Postby bigred82 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:45 pm

My understanding was that you had to be considered a Texas resident before your 1L to be considered. Otherwise, any state school could very well lose the majority of their OOS student income.

Could you FB mssg me what the residency office told you?

mcflooter06

Postby mcflooter06 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:56 pm

^^ Thats what I had heard.

But you could very well be correct, f0bolous, since you talked to them. At other state universities it seems to prove pretty difficult (I went to a different state school in Texas). Texas residency is a very difficult thing to prove, but perhaps if you planned it well, as f0bolous pointed out, its possible. *shrug*

gogators

Postby gogators » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:02 pm

I was in virtually the same situation last year. I chose (almost) sticker and haven't looked back. The only consideration factor for ND is their alumni base if you want to have the option of going to random places in US. And even then...

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:04 pm

If football is one of the pros you cite for ND, then I'd say go Texas all the way.

yournamehere

Postby yournamehere » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:50 am

just buy land. it's not hard to get residency if you're a landowner in TX.

Postby 02122015 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:27 am

Last edited by 02122015 on Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pearalegal

Postby Pearalegal » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:53 am

Thanks everyone! I'm looking forward to the mini visit.

See you there MSPeast :)

jsarna1

Postby jsarna1 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:10 pm

Pear,

I'm an ND undergrad, and I'm looking at Cornell, Vandy, Texas, and ND. I really liked Texas a lot, and after spending 4 years at ND, I'm feeling like it's time to move on. The weather is beyond dismal in the winter... unless you are from Buffalo, you may not be prepared for snow and no sun from November-March. My decision is really coming down to Vandy and Texas, but the clinical programs are top notch at UT. The people at ND can be a bit strange at times for sure, and South Bend isn't too fun. The campus is awesome though, and the football team will be good again soon. PM me if you want any inside info on ND. I'm curious to hear how you like UT.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”