Michigan 67.5K vs. Northwestern 70K vs. U Chicago

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which school to choose? (2.0)

Michigan - 67.5K
61%
Northwestern - 70K
30%
Chicago - Sticker
9%

Total votes: 23

tamago12

Michigan 67.5K vs. Northwestern 70K vs. U Chicago

Postby tamago12 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:25 pm

*Edited:

I ended up turning down Cornell (which I am still pretty torn about), but am still struggling with my other decisions.

I visited Northwestern and U Chicago, and actually liked both a lot! I especially was not expecting to like U Chicago, but the students I met were generally friendly and normal, plus the faculty is fantastic. Though the panic of some students about the Hyde Park area is way overblown. I liked Northwestern more than U Chicago in terms of "fit," perhaps because I'm a bit older than the average law student. I just generally liked the atmosphere, not to mention their practical approach to the study of law.

I pretty much like Michigan and Northwestern equally, and even their tuitions are the same (though NU's cost of living is higher). But U Chicago is still tempting for various reasons, even though I don't really know exactly what I want to do yet after law school (then again, who is ever really 100% sure?). I suppose I'm worried about closing doors, though I highly doubt I'd have the grades for future academia regardless.

Thoughts?

*Original post:

Hi,

Maybe a silly poll, but I thought I'd see what people's opinions were.

Cornell is obviously a great deal, but I want to eventually practice in the Midwest, most likely in Chicago. I really liked Michigan when I went to visit, but am having trouble justifying the huge price difference.

Given my hopes of eventually living in Chicago, I also included Northwestern and U Chicago, but in my mind the choice right now is between Cornell and Michigan. Michigan is also much closer to where I grew up, so isn't quite as isolated as Cornell for me.

I am not sure what I would like to do after graduation, so I am fairly debt-averse in case I end up pursuing something relatively low-paying. I have no desire to work in New York, but even so, would it be foolish to turn down a deal like this at Cornell? Also, the Cornell scholarship is NOT a full ride, but it does cover about 80% of tuition. The rest I would need to cover with loans.

I am incredibly grateful to even have these options, but it does make any decision a bit more difficult. Thoughts?
Last edited by tamago12 on Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bosque

Re: Cornell 120K vs. Michigan 67.5K vs. Chicago schools

Postby Bosque » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:29 pm

Have you told Michigan (or the Chicago schools) about Cornell's offer? I would use it to try and squeeze some more cash out of Michigan. Good luck!

toolshed

Postby toolshed » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:32 pm

Michigan places well in Chicago. 67.5k is about 1/3 of total COA, and if you decide on PI...their LRAP is pretty good. That said, if you want assurances in Chicago, nothing is going to beat Chicago.

tamago12

Postby tamago12 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:48 pm

Bosque wrote:Have you told Michigan (or the Chicago schools) about Cornell's offer? I would use it to try and squeeze some more cash out of Michigan. Good luck!

I have. Michigan declined, and I am waiting on Northwestern. I haven't gotten any word on financial aid from Chicago yet (this is what I get for applying a little late in the cycle). Would it be inappropriate to tell them about other offers before they have even sent me a preliminary offer? Even if I'm predicting that offer to be around $0. :(

toolshed wrote:Michigan places well in Chicago. 67.5k is about 1/3 of total COA, and if you decide on PI...their LRAP is pretty good. That said, if you want assurances in Chicago, nothing is going to beat Chicago.

Fair enough, and I've read a few threads including this one (http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=104225). I plan on visiting both Chicago schools next week to get a better "feel" for the campus and student body. I worry about Chicago's intense reputation, but there's no denying that they have employment advantages and other opportunities that can offset such concerns. But is U Chicago really such a slam dunk in Chicago compared to Northwestern? I guess the 50-50 poll in that previous link shows that neither are a bad option.

tamago12

Re: Michigan 67.5K vs. Northwestern 70K vs. U Chicago

Postby tamago12 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:02 pm

Bump for updated post/poll.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”