HELP!!! WUSTL $$$ or Vandy $...3 Days till April 1st Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

WUSTL 114k vs Vandy 45k

Poll ended at Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:59 am

WUSTL 114K
47%
Vandy 45K
53%

Total votes: 36

laley

New

HELP!!! WUSTL $$$ or Vandy $...3 Days till April 1st

Post by laley » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:59 am

Ok here's the deal...

Scholarships:
38k/yr at WUSTL
15k/yr at Vandy

Intend to practice at a large firm in South Florida after graduation doing some kind of international/corporate law.

Could really use some advice.

stratocophic

Gold

Re: HELP!!! WUSTL $$$ or Vandy $...3 Days till April 1st

Post by stratocophic » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:05 am

laley wrote:Ok here's the deal...

Scholarships:
38k/yr at WUSTL
15k/yr at Vandy

Intend to practice at a large firm in South Florida after graduation doing some kind of international/corporate law.

Could really use some advice.
Dude, calm down. WashU's first deposit's refundable if you withdraw in writing before May 1st. Just put down the $200 there and you'll have until April 15th to decide.

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:06 am

Vanderbilt will get you that Florida firm job more easily, though there's never a guarantee ITE.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:06 am

I'm going to WUSTL in the fall, so I'm biased. However, I think you should go to Vanderbilt if your interest is in Florida. As I've gatherd from research and a discussion with the career services dean at WUSTL (who was previously at Vanderbilt), it seems like Vandy is the better choice for the South, NYC, and West Coast. WUSTL gets the edge in the Midwest and perhaps a slight bump in D.C. in large part due to the major push they've been making there (although I'm sure there are a lot of people who would disagree). VULS is objectively the better school and has more portability, but I still think they are comprable. Neither are T-10 and aren't quite "national" in the way the T-10 are, so I say it depends on where you want to practice.

I'd vote for VULS, since you want Florida.

P.S. Also note that the April 1 deposit for WUSTL is refundable, so your decision isn't as rushed as you make it seem in your title.

thegrandinquisitor

New

Post by thegrandinquisitor » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:11 am

Last edited by thegrandinquisitor on Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:14 am

thegrandinquisitor wrote:Ummm... WUSTL is a good school but there is no way that it edges out Vandy in DC. In terms of employment prospects and portability, Vandy has more in common with a lower T14 than with WUSTL. And Vandy dominates the south, as much as a school can ITE...
Yeah, upon further review, you are right. (I just looked it up). But I swear that is what I was told by Dean Spivey, and he was pretty up front about everything else. Maybe I misunderstood him.

Still, OP... I vote Vanderbilt. It does own the south, and its placement numbers were really good last year.

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:25 am

Go to Vandy, get the law/business certificate, do Vanderbilt in Venice, ???, profit. You really don't even need the extra time to decide.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:27 am

stratocophic wrote:Go to Vandy, get the law/business certificate, do Vanderbilt in Venice, ???, profit. You really don't even need the extra time to decide.
+1, although I don't think Vanderbilt in Venice is all that appealing.

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:32 am

romothesavior wrote:
stratocophic wrote:Go to Vandy, get the law/business certificate, do Vanderbilt in Venice, ???, profit. You really don't even need the extra time to decide.
+1, although I don't think Vanderbilt in Venice is all that appealing.
I definitely won't end up doing it if I'm at Vandy, I just figured it fits into the international angle for OP. Don't really know much about it other than... well, it's by definition international in nature :mrgreen:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

shazam

New

Post by shazam » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:21 pm

I was in exactly your shoes last year, and I picked WUSTL. It was a mistake. Go to Vanderbilt. Unless you are in the top 15-25% of the WUSTL class, it is not nearly as "national"/T16-competitive a degree as Spivey and others might make it out to be. And don't count on being in the top 15-25%.

That said, if you want a top-notch education with tons of resources and low cost of living and a huge scholarship, then WUSTL is a great place. But don't underestimate the importance of region. A lot of law school is networking with local attorneys, and there are no Miami attorneys coming to WUSTL. Go to UMiami, or FSU/Florida, or Vanderbilt. A $45k Vandy scholarship is a great thing. Don't get greedy and take a bigger scholarship at a school that isn't right for you.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:25 pm

shazam wrote:I was in exactly your shoes last year, and I picked WUSTL. It was a mistake. Go to Vanderbilt. Unless you are in the top 15-25% of the WUSTL class, it is not nearly as "national"/T16-competitive a degree as Spivey and others might make it out to be. And don't count on being in the top 15-25%.

That said, if you want a top-notch education with tons of resources and low cost of living and a huge scholarship, then WUSTL is a great place. But don't underestimate the importance of region. A lot of law school is networking with local attorneys, and there are no Miami attorneys coming to WUSTL. Go to UMiami, or FSU/Florida, or Vanderbilt. A $45k Vandy scholarship is a great thing. Don't get greedy and take a bigger scholarship at a school that isn't right for you.
So was WUSTL a bad call for you because you wanted to be in a different region and you don't think the school can land you there, or because you don't like the school? I'm from the Midwest and want to end up in Chicago/St. Louis/Indianapolis, and I am pretty set on Wash U. Would you recommend it in my case?

shazam

New

Post by shazam » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:19 pm

As far as school is concerned, its the best academic experience of my life. The school is amazing. Unfortunately, there is a world outside of law school, and it is made up of employers who don't really care how enjoyable it is to be a WUSTL student. I want to be in a different region, and WUSTL doesn't seem to have enough tickets there to go around. For someone in your position, WUSTL is perfect, especially if they're giving you money. If they're not giving you money, then maybe UIUC with $$ might be a better option.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:21 pm

shazam wrote:As far as school is concerned, its the best academic experience of my life. The school is amazing. Unfortunately, there is a world outside of lawl skool, and it is made up of employers who don't really care how enjoyable it is to be a WUSTL student. I want to be in a different region, and WUSTL doesn't seem to have enough tickets there to go around. For someone in your position, WUSTL is perfect, especially if they're giving you money. If they're not giving you money, then maybe UIUC with $$ might be a better option.
Where are you in your class, if you don't mind my asking?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”