West Virginia University

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
mwhited07

West Virginia University

Postby mwhited07 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:14 am

I've searched for some postings on here, I guess its not a very popular school, but I thought I'd try to get some opinions on it anyway. Im from Virginia, near the tennessee and west virginia state lines,so to put it in to perspective I live roughly 30 minutes from Appalachian School of Law, but I know the reputation that school has but I'd like to stay somewhere in this region to attend school. University of Tennessee would be great to get into, but I'm not sure about the class sizes and such. Now WVU, according to this website has around 70 people per class, which is really great to me. As far as job prospects from that school, I've heard that anyone working in West Virginia pretty much came from WVU Law, which is good, I'd like to think they would probably favor grads coming from WVU rather than an out of state school. Just want to get your thoughts on this school, particularly from someone who has attended or is attending. thanks

Steven Perry

Re: West Virginia University

Postby Steven Perry » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:18 am

I'm currently a WVU UG, and from what I know the law school has a great reputation in the state of WV, and pretty much dominates the firms in WV. Aside from that, the surrounding areas are dominated by schools like Pitt, UVA, OSU, ect.

So unless you plan on staying in WV, it may not be the best option.

mwhited07

Postby mwhited07 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:20 am

I do not mind staying in west virginia, in fact I'd prefer to stay there, either towards Charleston or Beckley, or somewhere closer to home near the stateline.

Dany

Postby Dany » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:49 am

My thoughts on WVU:

--ImageRemoved--
GO MOUNTAINEERS! FINAL FOUR, BABY!

As far as the law school is concerned, I don't know all that much, but my entire family is from West Virginia and WVU is pretty much king in the state, so I'd assume the same holds true for the law school - but that's just speculation on my part. UT is great for Tennessee, and I have several friends in law school there that really love it. (I'm from Nashville, so I have the in-state perspective there, I suppose.)

I hope you can get some more definitive answers than mine; mostly I just wanted to post the pic and celebrate the final four for my team! :)

TTH

Postby TTH » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:03 am

On the seventh day, the Lord rested. On the eighth day, he leaned his ass south of Pittsburgh and took a massive dump. He called it Morgantown and saw that it was bad.

What kind of law do you want to practice? Keep in mind there aren't any large legal markets in WV and hardly anything in between BIGWESTVIRGINIALAW (Goodwin, Steptoe, Jackson, etc) and plaintiff's litigation/ID.

mwhited07

Postby mwhited07 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:10 am

Not really sure at the moment, but there are many fields that interest me, mostly Criminal Law, Employment and Labor Law, and considering that WV is nothing but coal country, Environment and Natural Resource Law might be something of interest.

TTH

Postby TTH » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:03 am

mwhited07 wrote:Not really sure at the moment, but there are many fields that interest me, mostly Criminal Law, Employment and Labor Law, and considering that WV is nothing but coal country, Environment and Natural Resource Law might be something of interest.

Reading your OP, I see you haven't applied yet. If you have the numbers to get into Washington and Lee, I would go there. It's true that WVU grads own the state, but you still have to do really well to get a crack at the big(ger) firms in WV. However, those same firms absolutely love W&L grads.

blong4133

Postby blong4133 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:27 am

I live in WV and about 1 hour from morgantown. I have a ton of friends who are going, or who have graduated from WVU for their undergrad....I know a good bit of people who are going to or have graduated from the law school as well. Those who have graduated have no problem at all getting jobs in WV, but as far as going out of the state, I cannot say. I know that I want to practice in WV and i am waiting to hear back from WVU regarding whether or not i've been accepted. But if you go to charleston for example, and look at pretty much every lawyers credentials, they are all WVU Law grads. So in my opinion, the only thing that looks better for a law school grad looking for a job in WV other than a WVU Law degree would be a degree from a T14...So if you graduate and want to stay in WV, your future should be bright my friend...Good Luck!

Edit: I have the ability to spell about as well as a 5 year old.
Last edited by blong4133 on Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

blong4133

Postby blong4133 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:30 am

And if you're a football or basketball fan, it doesn't get much better than morgantown...Go sit in the student section at a football or basketball game and you'll know what I'm talking about...Morgantown is an awesome place to be!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”