NYU (Sticker), Michigan $$ or Duke $$$

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Pick a Law School for Jets

NYU (Sticker)
24%
Michigan (54K)
59%
Duke (67.5K)
16%

Total votes: 86

JetstoRJC

NYU (Sticker), Michigan $$ or Duke $$$

Postby JetstoRJC » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:41 pm

So I know these polls/threads are out of control at this time of the year but I figure that is what this forum is for, right? Anyways, I have a pretty good idea of where I will end up going but wanted to see what the thoughts of TLS are on my options.

My main consideration is that I would like a job when I graduate, preferably one that will allow me to pay back loans. I am most interested in working in the private sector as opposed to public interest or government. I do have an interest in a clerkship after graduation if I have the grades. The other main factor is that I would like to eventually end up back West (the sooner the better). I hope to target a lot of the secondary markets in the Mountain West area or eventually transfer to the area after a few years in a primary market (Chicago, NY or California markets).

Anyways, NYU, Michigan, and Duke are my three top choices at this point. I have a couple of other offers I am still somewhat considering (UVA and full ride at BYU, see LSN profile) but I think these three are the best fit for me. Feel free to advocate another option though if desired.

Thanks in advance for any advice/opinions!

1armedscissor

Re: NYU (Sticker), Michigan $$ or Duke $$$

Postby 1armedscissor » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:44 pm

Michigan dude. Much better access to West coast jobs. NYU grads tend to stay in the eponymous university city that happens to be the world's largest legal market. Also Michigan > Duke as far as prestige goes, and I don't think the difference in scholly is significant enough to make the difference-especially if you're going biglaw.

Have you visited UMich? I went to preview and absolutely fell in love. Amazing staff, down to earth students, beautiful campus.

big_blue79

Postby big_blue79 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:30 am

I voted Michigan, but if you visited it and Duke and liked Duke better you should go there.

doinmybest

Postby doinmybest » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:44 am

1armedscissor wrote:Michigan dude. Much better access to West coast jobs. NYU grads tend to stay in the eponymous university city that happens to be the world's largest legal market. Also Michigan > Duke as far as prestige goes, and I don't think the difference in scholly is significant enough to make the difference-especially if you're going biglaw.

Have you visited UMich? I went to preview and absolutely fell in love. Amazing staff, down to earth students, beautiful campus.

+1

The scholarship to Mich seems worth it for you. NYU is going to cost you like $70K a year with COL... hell maybe more if their tution goes beyond 50K. It could be nearly 60K in tuition by the time you graduate. Did you go to preview weekend? I visited NYU and Mich and I really thought Michigan was much better for me. Maybe you should visit if you haven't already. Also did you go to BYU for undergrad?

ravens20

Postby ravens20 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:52 am

doinmybest wrote:
+1

The scholarship to Mich seems worth it for you. NYU is going to cost you like $70K a year with COL... hell maybe more if their tution goes beyond 50K. It could be nearly 60K in tuition by the time you graduate. Did you go to preview weekend? I visited NYU and Mich and I really thought Michigan was much better for me. Maybe you should visit if you haven't already. Also did you go to BYU for undergrad?

Let's not exaggerate. NYU is going to raise its tuition from $44,820 all the way to over $60,000 in three years?? :roll:

That being said, the Michigan scholly is a great deal. For me, NYU is the perfect fit and I would pay sticker there over the Michigan offer (aside from certain specific programs and my interest in PI, I want to live in a real city after being stuck in Virginia for 4 years). But Michigan is a hell of a school with a beautiful campus. For others, it may be the better fit even w/o the money.

And you shouldn't rule out Duke either. It offers a nice campus of its own (though not in the same league as Michigan's) but without the bitter Michigan winters.

Just visit them all and see what you like best.

JetstoRJC

Postby JetstoRJC » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:00 pm

Did not attend BYU undergrad (am familiar with the school though). Is Michigan the easy answer here?

jakeoooh

Postby jakeoooh » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:08 pm

Michigan or Duke; NYU (as other posters have mentioned) is awesome, but its reach is really targeted towards the city. If you like warm weather then Duke, otherwise Michigan. Maybe with the Michigan scholarship you can shake a little more out of Duke, maybe get them to up it to $75k, which would tilt the scales.

junelsat

Postby junelsat » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:13 pm

Visited both Duke and Michigan recently, and I felt Michigan blew Duke out of the water in every way except weather. The environment was just phenomenal, and the entire staff was immensely impressive. I'm waiting on NYU(held ED), and plan to go to NY after I graduate, but after visiting Mich I'll likely go there even if I get in at NYU (partially because I got 15k per year from Michigan, but also because I just loved it).

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:22 pm

ravens20 wrote:
doinmybest wrote:
+1

Let's not exaggerate. NYU is going to raise its tuition from $44,820 all the way to over $60,000 in three years?? :roll:

It's not totally out of the question. NYU certainly isn't in the same boat as Boalt, but Berkeley raised its (IN-STATE) tuition more than 50% from the time a friend of mine started in '07 to now, and in another two years that's slated to be more than 100%.

JetstoRJC

Postby JetstoRJC » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:21 pm

junelsat wrote:Visited both Duke and Michigan recently, and I felt Michigan blew Duke out of the water in every way except weather. The environment was just phenomenal, and the entire staff was immensely impressive. I'm waiting on NYU(held ED), and plan to go to NY after I graduate, but after visiting Mich I'll likely go there even if I get in at NYU (partially because I got 15k per year from Michigan, but also because I just loved it).

I visited Michigan and am debating whether or not I want to visit Duke. Although I would enjoy the weather at Duke more, I am not sure I could like a campus any more than I liked Michigan.

If I was targeting New York I would consider NYU a lot more. If I was targeting the South I would consider Duke much more. However, from all accounts Michigan might be the best bet for wanting to work out west.

scribelaw

Postby scribelaw » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:25 pm

JetstoRJC wrote:
junelsat wrote:Visited both Duke and Michigan recently, and I felt Michigan blew Duke out of the water in every way except weather. The environment was just phenomenal, and the entire staff was immensely impressive. I'm waiting on NYU(held ED), and plan to go to NY after I graduate, but after visiting Mich I'll likely go there even if I get in at NYU (partially because I got 15k per year from Michigan, but also because I just loved it).

I visited Michigan and am debating whether or not I want to visit Duke. Although I would enjoy the weather at Duke more, I am not sure I could like a campus any more than I liked Michigan.

If I was targeting New York I would consider NYU a lot more. If I was targeting the South I would consider Duke much more. However, from all accounts Michigan might be the best bet for wanting to work out west.

You might ask about that, re: NYU. I think they have very strong California placement, for those who want it. Anecdotally, one of the 2Ls I talked to had an SA gig in LA.

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:54 pm

OP: It looks like you're still waiting on Columbia. If you get into CLS, I would go there. CLS's California firm placement is excellent; it's almost as good as Harvard's. At some of the elite California firms, there are as many CLS grads as Stanford and Berkeley grads.

But if you don't get into CLS, I'd say Michigan.

Edit: I misread the OP's post. Reading quickly, I didn't realize that the OP was talking about the Mountain West, not California. I don't know how well CLS places there. I'm sure they do fine, but I don't know if the advantage (if it even exists) is worth the extra cost for CLS over Michigan in the Mountain West market.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:18 pm

Pick whichever of Michigan and Duke you like more (I'd pick Duke, but that's solely based on the location I'd personally prefer and has nothing to do with you :D). Forget NYU sticker with high COL.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”