Need urgent help!!!!!

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
youikky

Need urgent help!!!!!

Postby youikky » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:13 pm

Hi all,

i just realized that today the PSU's first deposit is due by April 1st. (postmark)

I have to make a choice on between Hofstra (35K/yr) and PSU (22k/yr) and really need you guys help..

Assuming that location doesn’t really matter, which school has better(yeah.. better not good..) job perspectives overall?
I know it's a broad question but any comments/insights/opinions are welcome!

Thanks in advance..

howie

Re: Need urgent help!!!!!

Postby howie » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:35 pm

yo, i do not know if this going to help, but I go to psu for undergrad and i think location is relevant. as far as state college goes you in town you can drink and thats pretty much it, also state college is surronded by nice state parks and you can definately take advantage of that keep in mind you need a car to do that. That being said i feel as far as gaining internships you will be at a disadvantage from state college because you are not near any urban area.

Hoftstra is in long island, and right near nyc so you would obviosuly be able to get hooked up in nyc (at least that should be your plan) cola is also going to cheaper in state college, you will be able to find an apt for under 500 with roommate i live in a house pay 330.
visit both and make your decision, maybe call psu and see if you can get an extension on your deposit?

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:19 pm

PSU PSU PSU PSU.

PSU a million times over. PSU is an up and coming school that has been rising in the ranks.

Hofstra is barely able to stay in the top 100.

PSU PSU PSU PSU

PSU PSU PSU.

PSU: http://www.top-law-schools.com/psu-law.html

HOFSTRA: http://www.top-law-schools.com/hofstra-law-school.html
Last edited by Nicholasnickynic on Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:21 pm

howie wrote:yo, i do not know if this going to help, but I go to psu for undergrad and i think location is relevant. as far as state college goes you in town you can drink and thats pretty much it, also state college is surronded by nice state parks and you can definately take advantage of that keep in mind you need a car to do that. That being said i feel as far as gaining internships you will be at a disadvantage from state college because you are not near any urban area.

Hoftstra is in long island, and right near nyc so you would obviosuly be able to get hooked up in nyc (at least that should be your plan) cola is also going to cheaper in state college, you will be able to find an apt for under 500 with roommate i live in a house pay 330.
visit both and make your decision, maybe call psu and see if you can get an extension on your deposit?

Hofstra will not hook you up because theres probably at least ten schools in the nyc area that businesses prefer before hofstra.

youikky

Postby youikky » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:54 am

Nicholasnickynic wrote:
howie wrote:yo, i do not know if this going to help, but I go to psu for undergrad and i think location is relevant. as far as state college goes you in town you can drink and thats pretty much it, also state college is surronded by nice state parks and you can definately take advantage of that keep in mind you need a car to do that. That being said i feel as far as gaining internships you will be at a disadvantage from state college because you are not near any urban area.

Hofstra will not hook you up because theres probably at least ten schools in the nyc area that businesses prefer before hofstra.

i guess what howie meant was about environment near LI and hofstra not the job prospect there
hofstra is close to nyc and is surely fun & exciting place but beside the location, what could be the legitimate reason to choose either one of schools over another?

youikky

Postby youikky » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:56 am

Nicholasnickynic wrote:PSU PSU PSU PSU.

PSU a million times over. PSU is an up and coming school that has been rising in the ranks.

PSU PSU PSU PSU

PSU PSU PSU.

did you go to undergrad at PSU? or do you have any other reason to choose PSU over hofstra beside they are ... good? :)
thx!!

joeshmo39

Postby joeshmo39 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:58 am

Don't pick Hofstra. Pick PSU. We could list reasons and stuff but it's not even close. No matter how you weigh the reasons you need to pick PSU.

whuts4lunch

Postby whuts4lunch » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:07 am

I don't know anything about PSU, but definitely don't go to Hofstra. In the event PSU = or < Hofstra, decline both. As stated before, so many schools ahead of you in NYC.

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:57 pm

youikky wrote:

PSU PSU PSU PSU

PSU PSU PSU.

did you go to undergrad at PSU? or do you have any other reason to choose PSU over hofstra beside they are ... good? :)
thx!!

No i did not.

But look:

PSU is Ranked #65.
Hofstra is ranked #100.

If you go to Penn State (65) you are competing with Pitt(71), temple (65), Villanova (61) and UPenn (8).
In other words, you are a strong competitor in the Penn market.

Meanwhile, if you are trying to enter the new york market with hofstra (100), you have to compete against numerous superior schools based in New York:

St Johns (87), Buffalo (85), Brooklyn (61), Cardozo (49), Fordham (30), Cornell (14), NYU (5), and Columbia (4).

Throw in 3 or 4 New Jersey schools that feed into the market, as well a number of students from elite schools that want to work in NY (yale, harvard, duke etc) and you begin to see the disadvantage hofstra puts you at.

Hofstra has a lot of competition (all of which is better than it) for the NY market. They just don't have good pull. They are very low in the employment pecking order. This makes it hard to get a job in New York, let alone a good one.

Meanwhile, Pennstate is very competitive in its market, and isn't going to have to deal with elite schools (yale, harvard, duke, etc) trying to go there because the philly/Pitt markets are not coveted the way the ny market is. You will easily be able to get a job in pennsylvania coming out of penn state.

NOT TO MENTION, Penn state is cheaper.

I got into pennstate and turned them down. Im not righting this because im biased.

Im writing it because if you pick hofstra you are pissing away your money and your chances to have a decent job. Please, for the love of god pick penn state.

Better education. Much better rank. Cheaper. More competitive for jobs. I can not think of one reason to choose hofstra.

I'm making such a big post because I cannot stand the thought of you potentially ruining your career. Start a poll. I gaurantee Penn State will win 100-0.

youikky

Postby youikky » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:45 am

Nicholasnickynic wrote:
youikky wrote:

PSU PSU PSU PSU

PSU PSU PSU.

thx!!

No i did not.

But look:

PSU is Ranked #65.
Hofstra is ranked #100.

If you go to Penn State (65) you are competing with Pitt(71), temple (65), Villanova (61) and UPenn (8).
In other words, you are a strong competitor in the Penn market.

Meanwhile, if you are trying to enter the new york market with hofstra (100), you have to compete against numerous superior schools based in New York:

St Johns (87), Buffalo (85), Brooklyn (61), Cardozo (49), Fordham (30), Cornell (14), NYU (5), and Columbia (4).

Throw in 3 or 4 New Jersey schools that feed into the market, as well a number of students from elite schools that want to work in NY (yale, harvard, duke etc) and you begin to see the disadvantage hofstra puts you at.

Hofstra has a lot of competition (all of which is better than it) for the NY market. They just don't have good pull. They are very low in the employment pecking order. This makes it hard to get a job in New York, let alone a good one.

Meanwhile, Pennstate is very competitive in its market, and isn't going to have to deal with elite schools (yale, harvard, duke, etc) trying to go there because the philly/Pitt markets are not coveted the way the ny market is. You will easily be able to get a job in pennsylvania coming out of penn state.

NOT TO MENTION, Penn state is cheaper.

I got into pennstate and turned them down. Im not righting this because im biased.

Im writing it because if you pick hofstra you are pissing away your money and your chances to have a decent job. Please, for the love of god pick penn state.

Better education. Much better rank. Cheaper. More competitive for jobs. I can not think of one reason to choose hofstra.

I'm making such a big post because I cannot stand the thought of you potentially ruining your career. Start a poll. I gaurantee Penn State will win 100-0.

thx thx thx for such a long (and meaningful) post!
but one more thing,
is philly ok to live?
i think im inclined to hofstra just because i've been to the place and it wasn't really bad..
I know the PSU isn't located in philly but i just wanna know overall atmosphere near the area.. if you have any experience.
thanks again for making me a right choice..

colemf

Postby colemf » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:55 am

I don't know if this matters to you at all but i from the south(Texas) and basiclly no one has ever heard of Hofstra here, unless they are big into bball, but if you mention Penn State everyone knows right away what your talking about, so along with all the aforementioned reasons, Penn State,imo, is just better known, respected, and further reaching than Hofstra, just something to think about.

lawman2010

Postby lawman2010 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:13 am

Penn State. For all the reasons already mentioned, and probably a few more. This is not a hard answer...

ggocat

Postby ggocat » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:15 am

Nicholasnickynic wrote:PSU is Ranked #65.
Hofstra is ranked #100.

Basing your decision on USNWR rank for these schools is silly. PSU was in the 90's when I applied a few years ago. Its ranking in the 60's last year doesn't mean it's a better school and certainly doesn't mean it offers graduates better employment prospects compared to another tier 2-3 school.

The schools appear to offer similar employment prospects overall. See http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/nlj/composite.pdf (data from a few years ago).

Focus on location and cost. Since you said location doesn't matter, then I say go with the cheaper school.

pam920

Postby pam920 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:21 am

I got into Penn State this year also, but I've decided not to go because it's not near a major legal market. There are other similarly ranked PA schools that are closer to Philadelphia and Pittsburgh, so they have an advantage over PSU when it comes to jobs in those markets. It is also my understanding that many people think PSU's #65 ranking is sort of inflated and will not be sustained.

That being said, Hofstra is no prize either.

exitlane

Postby exitlane » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:24 am

I would not go to either but if i had to make a choice i would definitely say PENN.

firebreathingliberal

Postby firebreathingliberal » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:36 am

Philly is ok if you are in the right part of it. That is how it is in any city though. It's one of the top legal market as well.

IMO Hofstra is not the greatest. Long Island is an expensive place to live. The market in NYC has a lot of other, more competitive schools as one of the other posters mentioned and the school is terribly expensive if you dont have a significant scholarship offer.

On an aside... I hate long island. I went to college in upstate NY and the place was rife with LIers who couldn't spell the name of the town they were born in and spent all their time either in the gym or drunk. They aren't all like that, but you certainly will run into people who call themselves "The Situation".

youikky

Postby youikky » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:04 am

pam920 wrote:I got into Penn State this year also, but I've decided not to go because it's not near a major legal market. There are other similarly ranked PA schools that are closer to Philadelphia and Pittsburgh, so they have an advantage over PSU when it comes to jobs in those markets. It is also my understanding that many people think PSU's #65 ranking is sort of inflated and will not be sustained.

That being said, Hofstra is no prize either.

thx for the reply. just out of curiosity, i also got an offer from Pepperdine (at sticker)
if none of these options are favorable, would going pepperdine be the best option, paying 40k+something/yr ?
this really confuses me. for what it's worth i'm from s.cali and went undergrad there (one of the UCs..)

youikky

Postby youikky » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:06 am

ggocat wrote:
Nicholasnickynic wrote:PSU is Ranked #65.
Hofstra is ranked #100.

Basing your decision on USNWR rank for these schools is silly. PSU was in the 90's when I applied a few years ago. Its ranking in the 60's last year doesn't mean it's a better school and certainly doesn't mean it offers graduates better employment prospects compared to another tier 2-3 school.

The schools appear to offer similar employment prospects overall. See http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/nlj/composite.pdf (data from a few years ago).

Focus on location and cost. Since you said location doesn't matter, then I say go with the cheaper school.

this is exactly what i thought. i don't know how reliable those ranks are.. especially when it comes to schools below 50s..
thx for your sharing tho..

youikky

Postby youikky » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:10 am

thanks for the replies.. this is really helping me out.

adding Pepperdine to the options (at sticker) would make any difference?
just out of curiosity....

i'm from s. cali and went undergrad from there. (but again, location is not really a factor)
what i am asking is the relative standing of the schools, like hofstra in NY area pepperdine in CA area...
thx again and have a wonderful day you guys!!!

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:45 pm

thx thx thx for such a long (and meaningful) post!
but one more thing,
is philly ok to live?
i think im inclined to hofstra just because i've been to the place and it wasn't really bad..
I know the PSU isn't located in philly but i just wanna know overall atmosphere near the area.. if you have any experience.
thanks again for making me a right choice..[/quote]

The hofstra area might very well be a better area than central Pennsylvania. However, the atmosphere of where you spend the next three years should come second fiddle to: Employment prospects, Reach of jobs, and price.

Location of LS is important, but its only 3 years and you are likely to spend a lot of time studying anyway.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”