Masters after LS?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Eric_Arthur_Blair

Masters after LS?

Postby Eric_Arthur_Blair » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:59 pm

Just wondering, with the bar and everything, if it is wise to get a masters directly after law school... would it be wise to wait awhile and get some work experience and then get the masters in an area you're ready to specialize in? Or is it wise to keep going right after LS?

I'm curious because I am a German/US dual citizen and getting a masters in Germany would be unbelievably inexpensive, but unfortunately I didn't do enough to prepare myself to go this year and now law school is staring me in the face. I wonder if anyone at all would propose that I sit out a year, apply for the masters programs, and then go to LS 2-3 years from now (I'm 24) if I still want to go. The problem, of course, would be finding a job for that year off.

Action Jackson

Re: Masters after LS?

Postby Action Jackson » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:14 pm

Are you talking about an LLM?

holybartender

Postby holybartender » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:32 pm

If you want to be a lawyer, why are you getting a masters?

rx3r

Postby rx3r » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:40 pm

Although it might be inexpensive to get a maters in Germany, it will be ridiculously expensive to get your law degree in the US (barring scholarships, etc.). Can you pay for it while you are in school in Germany? Is loan deferral an option in such a circumstance? Why work on a masters AFTER rather than before? The debt from law school will likely be large.

Eric_Arthur_Blair

Postby Eric_Arthur_Blair » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:04 pm

Hey guys. Thanks for the responses.

Well, the problem is that I can't get the Master's right now because I didn't apply for this cycle. I also want to go to school in general now, honestly, because I can't find a satisfying job.

I'd like to get a Master's because I think it will improve my specialization as a lawyer (hoping to go labor/employment/immigration law) to study in/about a foreign country, not to mention bone up on my German language skills.

The big question is; is it smarter it too take the year off, wait to get into a masters program, and then go to law school? I'm guessing it is, but again; employment during the year before the Masters. The bigger question is if I decide to get a master's after LS, how will this affect my career path? Is it smarter to do 3 or 4 years of practice and then get the Masters, or go straight into a Masters program out of LS?

It's a frustrating scenario because its an opportunity I'd love to take advantage of at some point "soon." Just looking for people who might have insight based on experience or hearsay on this matter. Thanks!

Action Jackson

Postby Action Jackson » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:10 pm

A Master's doesn't help you specialize in any area of the law. Only LLM's do that, and only in a couple areas (like tax law). So, as has been said, you'd be wasting your time getting a Master's and a law degree.

Eric_Arthur_Blair

Postby Eric_Arthur_Blair » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:16 pm

I gotcha. Well let's just say I get an LLM in Germany then... I mean that's basically what I'm getting at; the stacking of relevant degrees for minimal investment.

tycho_brahe

Postby tycho_brahe » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:39 pm

There's nothing wrong with learning. If it's cheap and you want to live in a foreign country, why not? I might work for a few years after law school though first, then see how you feel.

Eric_Arthur_Blair

Postby Eric_Arthur_Blair » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:40 pm

Yeah good point....

So I just read up a bit on LLMs... it seems the whole point is to get them after you get a JD, so my idea is not so far fetched. Lol.

wadeny

Postby wadeny » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:56 pm

Action Jackson wrote:A Master's doesn't help you specialize in any area of the law. Only LLM's do that, and only in a couple areas (like tax law). So, as has been said, you'd be wasting your time getting a Master's and a law degree.

I disagree with this. A masters degree can definitely be worthwhile for some people. The extra degree might not be necessary if you just want to practice law coming out, but it can complement a JD nicely depending on your interests, especially if you're considering academia.

OP, have you considered any dual degree programs? Getting a masters after law school isn't usually financially feasible (with loans, etc.), but there are some great dual degree programs that might suit your needs and would take less time than pursuing the degrees separately.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”