Brooklyn $40K/yr vs Fordham at sticker?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
bludvl_prelaw

Brooklyn $40K/yr vs Fordham at sticker?

Postby bludvl_prelaw » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:39 pm

After doing the math, I'll owe Fordham around $210,000 at graduation, versus around $75,000 to Brooklyn. (This includes cost of living and other expenses.)

Also, looking at last year's employment stats for both schools, it looks like top 50% at Fordham will get you a good shot at big law, whereas it's around 30% at Brooklyn.

I'm not sure if I want to do big law, but at the very least, it would allow me to pay off law school debts without having to worry too much, I could always go into something else later.

Basically, I'm looking at around an extra $135,000 in debt for a 20% cushion in terms of class rank.

MJMD

Re: Brooklyn $40K/yr vs Fordham at sticker?

Postby MJMD » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:49 pm

Did you factor in money earned working at firms over the summer?

T14_Scholly

Postby T14_Scholly » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:50 pm

Looks like either way you're going to get @$$-****ed by NYC cost of living.

bludvl_prelaw

Postby bludvl_prelaw » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:00 pm

bump

tycho_brahe

Postby tycho_brahe » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:09 pm

If you don't want biglaw, go to Brooklyn. If you do, go to Fordham.

kaydish21

Postby kaydish21 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:30 pm

I'm curious how you got the top 30% figure for big law at BLS. That number seems far too generous with everything I've heard.

XxSpyKEx

Postby XxSpyKEx » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:11 pm

bludvl_prelaw wrote:After doing the math, I'll owe Fordham around $210,000 at graduation, versus around $75,000 to Brooklyn. (This includes cost of living and other expenses.)

Also, looking at last year's employment stats for both schools, it looks like top 50% at Fordham will get you a good shot at big law, whereas it's around 30% at Brooklyn.

I'm not sure if I want to do big law, but at the very least, it would allow me to pay off law school debts without having to worry too much, I could always go into something else later.

Basically, I'm looking at around an extra $135,000 in debt for a 20% cushion in terms of class rank.

God, I read the underlined and thought someone might have revived this thread from years ago. Those numbers are fucking ridiculous. It's more like top 10% gives you a shot at biglaw (and by biglaw I mean NJL250, not v100) from Fordham and 0% gets a shot a biglaw from Brooklyn. Not even top 30% is making it into biglaw from Georgetown in this economy, and it's around 50% at t10s (once again for NJL250, which includes firms that only pay $80K /year, not v100).

EDIT- in all honestly, I'm not sure $75K at Fordham is justifiable in this economy (maybe?), but it definetely isn't at a toilet like BLS. Retake the LSAT and reapply or don't go.

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:43 pm

XxSpyKEx wrote:
bludvl_prelaw wrote:After doing the math, I'll owe Fordham around $210,000 at graduation, versus around $75,000 to Brooklyn. (This includes cost of living and other expenses.)

God, I read the underlined and thought someone might have revived this thread from years ago. Those numbers are fucking ridiculous. It's more like top 10% gives you a shot at biglaw (and by biglaw I mean NJL250, not v100) from Fordham and 0% gets a shot a biglaw from Brooklyn. Not even top 30% is making it into biglaw from Georgetown in this economy, and it's around 50% at t10s (once again for NJL250, which includes firms that only pay $80K /year, not v100).

EDIT- in all honestly, I'm not sure $75K at Fordham is justifiable in this economy (maybe?), but it definetely isn't at a toilet like BLS. Retake the LSAT and reapply or don't go.

If you are going to criticize his numbers at least put correct ones.

Georgetown= 48.2%, not less than 30%.
Fordham =29%, not 10%.
If you are trying to guess next years numbers, then go for it. But it seems like you shot down his information as not being fact based... and then gave your non fact-based opinion.

http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... hbxlogin=1

Great Satchmo

Postby Great Satchmo » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:47 pm

The numbers are off, as someone said, but not as the poster (who clearly is hateful at the world) said.

This is entirely a personal call. Debt is a personal thing and something you'll have to live with, but so are opportunities should you get them.

bludvl_prelaw

Postby bludvl_prelaw » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:51 pm

I got those numbers from data I obtained from going to admitted students' days I went to at both schools.

Half of last year's class at Fordham had been placed into biglaw; it was around 30% for BLS.

I realize the economy sucks. I spoke to some people at Fordham who were having trouble finding a job. Likewise, I spoke to some BLS grads who did not finish in the top 10 percent and were in biglaw.

I'm guessing the economy will be better in 2013.

I'm sorry I don't have a link, but those numbers are definitely right - at least, according to the schools. Plus, BLS put almost 100 students into biglaw last year.

I'm not at all convinced that BLS is a TTT like people say it is. I know it's not Fordham or HYS, but from what I'm hearing from most people outside of TLS, it's not at all a bad school.

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:01 pm

I'd take the official NLJ 250 Results > over what the schools say.

XxSpyKEx

Postby XxSpyKEx » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:05 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:
XxSpyKEx wrote:

Fordham =29%, not 10%.
If you are trying to guess next years numbers, then go for it. But it seems like you shot down his information as not being fact based... and then gave your non fact-based opinion.

Those numbers are from the class of 2009, which did their OCI during 2007 (the boom period). My numbers from last fall's OCI. No one's publishing their numbers for this year yet (for obvious reasons), but most schools collected the information and if you read around a bit you can find a lot of this.

EDIT- Also, Georgetown= 42.8%, not 48.2 for class of 2009 (OCI 2007). You can easily see how that could have dropped to below 30% in the current economy given that there are students at Notre Dame and UIUC on law review + top 10% that didn't get biglaw (obviously not typical, but they are there and that wouldn't have been the case for class of 2009).

Also notice how BLS is not on the chart at all when the number drop as low as 13.2% at Chicago-Kent (suggesting that BLS did worse then that for class of 2009, once again, during the boom period).
Last edited by XxSpyKEx on Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dk8

Postby dk8 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:14 pm

XxSpyKEx wrote:
Nicholasnickynic wrote:
XxSpyKEx wrote:

Fordham =29%, not 10%.

Those numbers are from the class of 2009, which did their OCI during 2007 (the boom period). My numbers from last fall's OCI. No one's publishing their numbers for this year yet (for obvious reasons), but most schools collected the information and if you read around a bit you can find a lot of this.

link to where they collected this info?

XxSpyKEx

Postby XxSpyKEx » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:16 pm

dk8 wrote:link to where they collected this info?

Email. At least that's what it was at my school and a few others. No idea what every t14 did.

dk8

Postby dk8 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:18 pm

XxSpyKEx wrote:

Email. At least that's what it was at my school and a few others. No idea what every t14 did.

interesting. you're the first person i've heard that asserted they knew for sure exactly how their school did at OCI.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:20 pm

MJMD wrote:Did you factor in money earned working at firms over the summer?

LOL.

XxSpyKEx

Postby XxSpyKEx » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:21 pm

dk8 wrote:
XxSpyKEx wrote:

interesting. you're the first person i've heard that asserted they knew for sure exactly how their school did at OCI.

It's unpublished, but the career services people talk..

XxSpyKEx

Postby XxSpyKEx » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:22 pm

rayiner wrote:

LOL.

Wow, I can't believed I missed that. +1. :lol:

sanpiero

Postby sanpiero » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:28 pm

http://law.fordham.edu/career-planning/17281.htm

FWIW, 50.85% of the CO 2009 at Fordham got jobs at firms with 101+ attorneys. I would hesitate to expect this to be the same for the CO 2013. It likely won't be. To be safe expect T1/3 needed for BigLaw (i.e. 101+ firms). IMO, its a huge risk to spend $210k+ with such a small probability of landing a job that pays $125k+.

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:41 pm

Things were rough for the classes of 2010 and 2011. Official numbers don't exist yet, though I am privy to rumors at my own school. My admissions office believes the class of '10 actually had it the worst at OCI, though the numbers won't be out for almost a year, since that class hasn't even graduated yet. I do have one ray of hope to offer: consensus is that there is under reporting in the NLJ250 chart; not all hires have been accounted for. Schools have an incentive to have every graduate counted, and it only makes sense that they would call firms to ask if their recent grads have been reported to the NLJ. Just some food for thought.

To sanpiero: if it's purely about money, it is indeed a risk, but there are many other factors involved in school selection. I'm happy with the risk I took so far,

sanpiero

Postby sanpiero » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:52 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:To sanpiero: if it's purely about money, it is indeed a risk, but there are many other factors involved in school selection. I'm happy with the risk I took so far,

Agreed. My approach was purely financial b/c OP didn't suggest he is interested in GOV'T or PI. If he is, the entire analysis changes. I suppose the entire analysis also changes if OP isn't debt averse, simply wants to practice law at a firm, and doesn't mind paying a substantial portion of his monthly income to SallieMae (or, now, the FDLP).

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:04 pm

sanpiero wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:To sanpiero: if it's purely about money, it is indeed a risk, but there are many other factors involved in school selection. I'm happy with the risk I took so far,

Agreed. My approach was purely financial b/c OP didn't suggest he is interested in GOV'T or PI. If he is, the entire analysis changes. I suppose the entire analysis also changes if OP isn't debt averse, simply wants to practice law at a firm, and doesn't mind paying a substantial portion of his monthly income to SallieMae (or, now, the FDLP).

IBR is what really changes things, at least from a debt aversion viewpoint. I'll be paying 10-15% of my income (less whatever my LRAP covers, if I qualify), so I won't starve, but I'm not exactly going to pay the money back, either. In 10 years, or 25, worst case scenario, I'll see it forgiven.

sanpiero

Postby sanpiero » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:09 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:
sanpiero wrote:

IBR is what really changes things, at least from a debt aversion viewpoint. I'll be paying 10-15% of my income (less whatever my LRAP covers, if I qualify), so I won't starve, but I'm not exactly going to pay the money back, either. In 10 years, or 25, worst case scenario, I'll see it forgiven.

You're right, IBR is huge. I'm glad there is such a generous program for those hoping to work for the government or an NPO. 10-15% of income for 10 years seems very reasonable. i believe the calculation is done on your income less the federal poverty level (i.e. disposable income), instead of simply 15% of gross income, so there's an added benefit. let's just hope the program remains in place through 2022. i think it will.

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:21 pm

sanpiero wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:
sanpiero wrote:

You're right, IBR is huge. I'm glad there is such a generous program for those hoping to work for the government or an NPO. 10-15% of income for 10 years seems very reasonable. i believe the calculation is done on your income less the federal poverty level (i.e. disposable income), instead of simply 15% of gross income, so there's an added benefit. let's just hope the program remains in place through 2022. i think it will.

Yes, that is accurate. It is also available to students working in the private sector, but note:
Will forgiven loan amounts be taxed as income?

The U.S. Department of the Treasury determined that debt forgiven through PSLF (for public interest workers) is not considered taxable income under current law. That means that when you qualify for PSLF, you won't get slapped with a huge tax bill.

Unfortunately, the same good news doesn't extend to debt forgiven through IBR. In response, Congressman Sandy Levin (D-MI) is leading a bipartisan effort to ensure that borrowers who qualify for loan forgiveness through IBR (and Income Contingent Repayment) get the same treatment. Responsible borrowers with modest incomes shouldn't have to pay potentially crippling taxes on forgiven student loans. We are hopeful that this issue will be resolved before any borrowers qualify for forgiveness through IBR. We'll continue to work on this issue and keep you informed. Urge your representatives to support H.R. 2492. Learn more about the bill.
from http://www.ibrinfo.org

That is the reality on the ground, and I hope they resolve it. IBR, as used through PSLF, is a fabulous deal at present.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:29 pm

Hopefully not. By no means is summer firm work a realistic option, particularly as far as 1L year summer is concerned.

Btw, I wouldn't collect my numbers from schools at Admitted Students Weekends. It's not like they don't have the incentive to embellish those figures.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”