Schools that should have law schools - Any opinions?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
HyeMart

Re: Schools that should have law schools - Any opinions?

Postby HyeMart » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:15 pm

PDaddy wrote:Princeton and Brown have academic philosophies that keep them from opening law schools.

?
Last edited by HyeMart on Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

unknownscholar

Postby unknownscholar » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:15 pm

TTTennis wrote:
hiromoto45 wrote:
TTTennis wrote:Swarthmore and Phoenix online (I want to earn a JD from the comfort of my own home)

Phoenix does...haven't you gotten scholarship offers from Candy?

^^ LOL at this. She actually just wrote me again a couple of days again making sure I received her last scholarship offer...only she increased the offer. Needless to say, I applied, and hopefully will be hearing some good news in the near future.

I was talking about the online college, I think Candy's is a different one.

you're right.

--LinkRemoved--
Is Phoenix School of Law associated with University of Phoenix?
No. Phoenix School of Law is not associated with the University of Phoenix or the Apollo Group, the parent company of the University of Phoenix

xyzzzzzzzz

Postby xyzzzzzzzz » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:27 pm

8)
Last edited by xyzzzzzzzz on Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MF248

Postby MF248 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:41 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
scionb4 wrote:Illinois State University (I know only Illinois residents would care as it probably wouldn't be higher ranked than tier 3, but there is no reason why SIUC should have a law school. ISU would be a really good option people who want to stay in central/southern Illinois, where I happen to live

Absolutely not. I am from Normal, and I can tell you that ISU does NOT need a law school. University of Illinois and SIU offer enough opportunity for the area. ISU is a great school for education and nursing, but overall it is the poor man's UIUC.
There are already waaaaay too many law schools. They should be closing schools, not opening more.

PS. This is not a personal knock on you. I LOVE Bloomington-Normal and the entire central Illinois area. Maybe we'll cross paths in practice someday!

SIU, JMLS, and NIU law should all be closed down as it is.

I actually think SIU brings something to the table for this area. For people without big law aspirations who want to work in the downstate area (think rural county states attorney's office, small town firms, etc.), it may be worth a look. NIU is a pretty bad school, but it is really cheap. JMLS serves no purpose whatsoever.

JMLS should join UIC as their law school. There were basic plans for this a few years ago but they were scrapped. A big reason the plans were scrapped was that people were afraid adding JMLS to the Illinois system (UIUC, UIC, UIS) would taint UIUC's law school. I think it would be beneficial for there to be a public law school in Chicago. Also, while JMLS isn't much to begin with, I've heard one of the things making it ranked even lower than it should be is the fact that it isn't attached to a university.

Also, the school isn't a complete joke. I know two recent grads from JMLS that are happy in their careers, plus two older grads, one of which works for Skadden and the other of which works for the IL attorney general's office & has U Chicago, NU, Duke & Berkley grads working for him (Some of who are the same age as him).

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:01 am

TTTennis wrote:
hiromoto45 wrote:
TTTennis wrote:Swarthmore and Phoenix online (I want to earn a JD from the comfort of my own home)

^^ LOL at this. She actually just wrote me again a couple of days again making sure I received her last scholarship offer...only she increased the offer. Needless to say, I applied, and hopefully will be hearing some good news in the near future.

LMA at U-Phoenix v. "Phoenix School of Law" (PSL) :lol: They should consider a name change. And Dennis Shields (formerly of Duke), of all people, is the Dean! lol

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:03 am

HyeMart wrote:
PDaddy wrote:Princeton and Brown have academic philosophies that keep them from opening law schools.

?

It's true. Many people doubt Princeton will ever open a law school. They kicked the idea around several decades ago, but the idea never got its legs. Like Princeton, Brown is concentrated mostly on UG education.

richardfitzwell

Postby richardfitzwell » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:05 am

SU-Subway University :P

HyeMart

Postby HyeMart » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:18 am

PDaddy wrote:
HyeMart wrote:

?

It's true. Many people doubt Princeton will ever open a law school. They kicked the idea around several decades ago, but the idea never got its legs. Like Princeton, Brown is concentrated mostly on UG education.

i believe you, i was just wondering what the academic philosophy was

HBK

Postby HBK » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:27 am

TTTennis wrote:
hiromoto45 wrote:

She's not a bad looking lady for an adcomm with a stripper name (I GIS'd her).

TTTennis

Postby TTTennis » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:30 am

I think Georgetown should open a law school.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:31 am

TTTennis wrote:I think Georgetown should open a law school.

They tried, it failed miserably.

TTTennis

Postby TTTennis » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:32 am

Cupidity wrote:
TTTennis wrote:I think Georgetown should open a law school.

They tried, it failed miserably.

LOL!! I was expecting "blatant anti-GULC trolling," but that great. Well played.

icydash

Postby icydash » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:33 am

Brown because it's the best school ever. Represent.

And yes I know we can't have one due to our academic philosophy.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:41 am

HyeMart wrote:
PDaddy wrote:
HyeMart wrote:

?

i believe you, i was just wondering what the academic philosophy was

Ok...just to show that daddy wasn't talking out of his ass. lol. Some religious conservatives still believe that a pure liberal arts education cannot coexist with professional education beyond the health sciences/medicine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_University

...The charter had more than sixty signatories, including the brothers John, Nicholas and Moses of the Brown family, who would later inspire the College's modern name following a gift bestowed by Nicholas Brown, Jr.. The college's mission, the charter stated, was to prepare students "for discharging the Offices of Life with usefulness & reputation" by providing instruction "in the Vernacular and Learned Languages, and in the liberal Arts and Sciences."[8] The charter's language has long been interpreted by the university as discouraging the founding of a business school or law school. Brown continues to be one of only two Ivy League colleges with neither a business school nor a law school (the other being Princeton)...

I think the school rebelled against the Brown family's involvement in the slave trade, towards which the family was always ambivalent.
Last edited by PDaddy on Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:17 am, edited 7 times in total.

HyeMart

Postby HyeMart » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:42 am

thanks

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:56 am

Gonzaga should be closed and WWU or CWU should open a ls. Washington has horrible choices for law school b/c you either need to have very good stats (I.e., UW is a GPA whore and if you messed up at all in UG you are not getting in) for UW, be willing to pay a TON of money with less-than-outstanding job prospects for SU, or be willing to pay a TON of money for horrible job prospects in a ghetto city.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:03 am

A'nold wrote:Gonzaga should be closed and WWU or CWU should open a ls. Washington has horrible choices for law school b/c you either need to have very good stats (I.e., UW is a GPA whore and if you messed up at all in UG you are not getting in) for UW, be willing to pay a TON of money with less-than-outstanding job prospects for SU, or be willing to pay a TON of money for horrible job prospects in a ghetto city.

Seattle Pacific would be a cool Law school. But put it downtown near Belltown or somewhere...maybe downtown Bellevue. SU's law school was once located in Tacoma, right? Just build a sick law building and put it near Bellevue Square!

ViP wrote:
PDaddy wrote:
UC-San Diego (if Cal Tech can't feasibly have a school that replaces Cal Western and others, why not UCSD?)

Because Irvine beat them to the punch.

Oh...ha-ha... :roll: :lol:

ViP

Postby ViP » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:41 am

PDaddy wrote:
A'nold wrote:Gonzaga should be closed and WWU or CWU should open a ls. Washington has horrible choices for law school b/c you either need to have very good stats (I.e., UW is a GPA whore and if you messed up at all in UG you are not getting in) for UW, be willing to pay a TON of money with less-than-outstanding job prospects for SU, or be willing to pay a TON of money for horrible job prospects in a ghetto city.

Seattle Pacific would be a cool Law school. But put it downtown near Belltown or somewhere...maybe downtown Bellevue. SU's law school was once located in Tacoma, right? Just build a sick law building and put it near Bellevue Square!

ViP wrote:
PDaddy wrote:
UC-San Diego (if Cal Tech can't feasibly have a school that replaces Cal Western and others, why not UCSD?)

I don't get it.

hiromoto45

Postby hiromoto45 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:48 am

Why does Brown have a Medical School?

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:09 am

ViP wrote:
PDaddy wrote:

ViP wrote:
PDaddy wrote:

I don't get it.

Irvine didn't necessarily beat UCSD to the proverbial "punch". There's room for more good law schools attached to top universities to replace the matchbook schools like Golden Gate, etc. Secondly, I don't know if UCSD has actually thrown a punch. I read/heard that it may, indeed, get a school. I personally feel there's a movement to get the other clown schools to fold by opening more good ones, and I'm all for that. No punches, just a grand scheme...or so we should hope.

pany1985

Postby pany1985 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:12 am

CA has some crazy regulations when it comes to law schools

I have serious doubts that the People's College of Law could exist in any other state

ViP

Postby ViP » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:42 am

PDaddy wrote:
Irvine didn't necessarily beat UCSD to the proverbial "punch". There's room for more good law schools attached to top universities to replace the matchbook schools like Golden Gate, etc. Secondly, I don't know if UCSD has actually thrown a punch. I read/heard that it may, indeed, get a school. I personally feel there's a movement to get the other clown schools to fold by opening more good ones, and I'm all for that. No punches, just a grand scheme...or so we should hope.

I've also read a bit about about UCSD's interest in opening a law school (taking Cal Western under its wing).

It's interesting to see how excited and hopeful you are by the sound of new schools opening. There are many people that are vehemently against the establishment of any new law school, given the market. UCI has faced enough criticism, alone. Of course, all the negative attention is matched (and then some) by the excitement and hype.

I think one of the primary complaints is the fact that the UC system is broke, as is the state of California. In that sense, the negative attention might be overwhelming if another UC decides to open a law school.

Plus, opening a new school (especially a prominent professional school) is a big deal. It takes lots of money, time, planning, etc. That's why when Irvine opened its doors last year it really took the spotlight. And one of the keys to successfully opening a new school is to open with a "bang" that gets everyone's attention. If UCSD (or any California school, for that matter) opens a law school at any point over the next few years, it won't create nearly the same bang-effect because an impressive UC law school will have had just opened with an unprecedented inaugural class and faculty.

underachiever

Postby underachiever » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:46 am

NO NEW LAW SCHOOLS!!!!
until I graduate...then let the free market wild (not like the ABA stops new schools from opening now)

leraa6587

Postby leraa6587 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:50 am

haole_20 wrote:
scionb4 wrote:Texas A&M - more prestigious than lesser public institutions that do, for some reason, have law schools (Texas Tech, UNT).

UNT doesn't actually have a law school but I was going to say TCU should have one. Texas Weslyan is in the same city but really has no business having a law school. But I guess TCU would have the same problem as Rice: quality, established law schools nearby in SMU and UH.

EDIT: wow, check that. I didn't realize that UNT was in the process of starting one

TCU is trying to buy Texas Wesleyan's LS, purportedly.

UNT will be accepting applications this year for the class of 2014.

I also agree that Texas A&M should have a law school- all the right factors are in play and they have the opportunity to be one of the best patent law programs with the close proximity to Houston and the strong engineering program. I am biased, though, I just graduated from here :P However as a student, the UG program could use an overhaul and they spend their entire budget on our failing FB team, sooooo maybe by 2075 it will be on the table.

Someone said Dartmouth and I thought I saw they were starting one this year...
Last edited by leraa6587 on Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

kissy

Postby kissy » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:53 am

tycho_brahe wrote:No more law schools please.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”