Schools that should have law schools - Any opinions? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
scionb4

Silver

Schools that should have law schools - Any opinions?

Post by scionb4 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:45 pm

My own personal opinion -
Princeton (I think for a while they had a top law schools ranking but didn't actually have a law school, I'm pretty sure I read that somewhere)
Purdue University
Illinois State University (I know only Illinois residents would care as it probably wouldn't be higher ranked than tier 3, but there is no reason why SIUC should have a law school. ISU would be a really good option people who want to stay in central/southern Illinois, where I happen to live)
Colorado State University (I got into Denver, no dinero, and I love Colorado - why not have another public option that isn't as hard to get into and will grant out-of-state students in-state for second and third years like CU does?)
Georgia Tech/Virginia Tech (IP anyone????)
Texas A&M - Once again, another state school that would be easier to get into than the flagship public institution of the state (UT-Austin), more affordable than the private schools in the state (Baylor, SMU), and more prestigious than lesser public institutions that do, for some reason, have law schools (Texas Tech, UNT). Yes, I know UHouston has a law school, but my point is that it seems that some state, like Illinois, are lacking a more middle of the road affordable law school for residents of the state that don't have the numbers to get into the state's flagship school. States that I think have a better distribution are Missouri (WashU at the top, Mizzou in the middle, SLU in the bottom of the top 100, and several lower ranked schools) Florida and Arizona (sure, they don't have a superstar school, but they both have affordable public options that aren't super hard to get into but are still really strong), and Georgia (Emory followed by UGA followed by Georgia State followed by Mercer, but I still think it'd be cool if Georgia Tech had one, I love that school)

Anyway - any thought? Any schools that could use a law school? Any schools that point blank SHOULDN'T have a law school, like SIUC, seriously?

romothesavior

Diamond

Re: Schools that should have law schools - Any opinions?

Post by romothesavior » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:48 pm

scionb4 wrote:Illinois State University (I know only Illinois residents would care as it probably wouldn't be higher ranked than tier 3, but there is no reason why SIUC should have a law school. ISU would be a really good option people who want to stay in central/southern Illinois, where I happen to live
Absolutely not. I am from Normal, and I can tell you that ISU does NOT need a law school. University of Illinois and SIU offer enough opportunity for the area. ISU is a great school for education and nursing, but overall it is the poor man's UIUC.

There are already waaaaay too many law schools. They should be closing schools, not opening more.

PS. This is not a personal knock on you. I LOVE Bloomington-Normal and the entire central Illinois area. Maybe we'll cross paths in practice someday!

erniesto

Bronze

Post by erniesto » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:50 pm

This topic is primed for lolz.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:51 pm

romothesavior wrote:
scionb4 wrote:Illinois State University (I know only Illinois residents would care as it probably wouldn't be higher ranked than tier 3, but there is no reason why SIUC should have a law school. ISU would be a really good option people who want to stay in central/southern Illinois, where I happen to live
Absolutely not. I am from Normal, and I can tell you that ISU does NOT need a law school. University of Illinois and SIU offer enough opportunity for the area. ISU is a great school for education and nursing, but overall it is the poor man's UIUC.

There are already waaaaay too many law schools. They should be closing schools, not opening more.

PS. This is not a personal knock on you. I LOVE Bloomington-Normal and the entire central Illinois area. Maybe we'll cross paths in practice someday!
SIU, JMLS, and NIU law should all be closed down as it is.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:56 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

SIU, JMLS, and NIU law should all be closed down as it is.
I actually think SIU brings something to the table for this area. For people without big law aspirations who want to work in the downstate area (think rural county states attorney's office, small town firms, etc.), it may be worth a look. NIU is a pretty bad school, but it is really cheap. JMLS serves no purpose whatsoever.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:00 pm

SIU is 11k/year in-state. Schools like that are fine. I'd like to see more schools on UGA's model: super cheap in-state T1 in low COL areas.

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:01 pm

Yes. Responsible institutions of higher learning should all rush to address the serious shortage of lawyers we have in the United States. What with all new lawyers earning in excess of 160k, surely, there is room for far more people in the profession..

I think every college or university should have their own LS. They can just become programs within the school..

acdisagod

Bronze

Post by acdisagod » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:01 pm

SUNY Geneseo, or SUNY Binghamton, NY state needs a tier one public option.

chitown825

Bronze

Post by chitown825 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:03 pm

No school that ends with "tech" should ever have a law school. That's like saying Purdue should add one.

A funnier topic might be which schools should NOT have law schools.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:08 pm

I broached this topic a while ago (including what schools we may want to close), as have many others over the past years. Many schools (about 80) need to close! That said, here are schools I believe should have schools:

MIT (Despite above poster's contention, would be an IP powerhouse)
Johns Hopkins (Would be an IP and Medical Law powerhouse)
Rochester (Would likely be a corporate law powerhouse)
Carnegie Mellon (Could specialize in a host of areas, including business law, art law and IP)
Rice (Could replace some unneccessary Texas schools with a prestigious one)
UC-San Diego (If Cal Tech can't feasibly have a school that replaces Cal Western, Whittier and others, why not UCSD?)
Spelman (The Yale - or Wellesley - of black colleges could train top black female lawyers or be co-ed w/Morehouse)
Princeton (All Ivies should have law schools)
Dartmouth (All Ivies should have law schools)
Brown (Al Ivies should have law schools)

Princeton and Brown have academic philosophies (which should change) that keep them from opening law schools, but I could realistically see Dartmouth opening one.

There are some liberal arts schools that should open schools, as well.
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 4&t=110959
Last edited by PDaddy on Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:08 am, edited 4 times in total.

scionb4

Silver

Post by scionb4 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:21 pm

reasonable_man wrote:Yes. Responsible institutions of higher learning should all rush to address the serious shortage of lawyers we have in the United States. What with all new lawyers earning in excess of 160k, surely, there is room for far more people in the profession..

I think every college or university should have their own LS. They can just become programs within the school..
While I certainly respect your wit and clever sarcasm, you missed the point of what I'm saying, as did a few other people. I'm not saying there are too few law schools. I'm saying there are schools that should have law schools that don't, and there are schools that do have law schools that absolutely shouldn't. Great example: there is no University of Massachusetts at Amherst School of Law, which if there was would most likely be in the top 100, but there are a few joke law schools in the state, and some obviously very expensive and prestigious private law schools. Why not, for residents of the state Massachusetts, give them a strong and affordable public option that isn't incredibly difficult to get into, and then close down all the BS little schools? Is that really such a bad idea?

haole_20

New

Post by haole_20 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:29 pm

scionb4 wrote: Texas A&M - more prestigious than lesser public institutions that do, for some reason, have law schools (Texas Tech, UNT).
UNT doesn't actually have a law school but I was going to say TCU should have one. Texas Weslyan is in the same city but really has no business having a law school. But I guess TCU would have the same problem as Rice: quality, established law schools nearby in SMU and UH.

EDIT: wow, check that. I didn't realize that UNT was in the process of starting one

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:33 pm

I think the only schools that should be able to add law schools are Ivies, simply because they can trade on reputation.

Close others.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

tycho_brahe

New

Post by tycho_brahe » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:37 pm

No more law schools please.

FunkyJD

Silver

Post by FunkyJD » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:57 pm

scionb4 wrote:My own personal opinion -
Texas A&M - Once again, another state school that would be easier to get into than the flagship public institution of the state (UT-Austin), more affordable than the private schools in the state (Baylor, SMU), and more prestigious than lesser public institutions that do, for some reason, have law schools (Texas Tech, UNT). Yes, I know UHouston has a law school, but my point is that it seems that some state, like Illinois, are lacking a more middle of the road affordable law school for residents of the state that don't have the numbers to get into the state's flagship school.
If Texas needed another law school in SE Texas -- which it sure as hell doesn't, UH isn't THAT expensive compared to other public law schools for in-state tuition -- I would choose Rice 1,000x before choosing Texas A&M.

Why the hell would you locate a law school in College Station, as opposed to closer to a major legal market like Houston? Rice also has a wonderful alumni base to help it along -- James Baker, anyone?

scionb4

Silver

Post by scionb4 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:35 pm

haole_20 wrote:
scionb4 wrote: Texas A&M - more prestigious than lesser public institutions that do, for some reason, have law schools (Texas Tech, UNT).
UNT doesn't actually have a law school but I was going to say TCU should have one. Texas Weslyan is in the same city but really has no business having a law school. But I guess TCU would have the same problem as Rice: quality, established law schools nearby in SMU and UH.

EDIT: wow, check that. I didn't realize that UNT was in the process of starting one
UNT is opening one - I would rather see Texas A&M open one than UNT.

FunkyJD

Silver

Post by FunkyJD » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:59 pm

scionb4 wrote:UNT is opening one - I would rather see Texas A&M open one than UNT.
Here's my thing: If Texas A&M had one, ostensibly it would place better in Houston than Dallas, due to proximity. Then Houston would have UT, UH, STCL, TSU, and TA&M servicing its market. Does Houston need that many law schools in its market?

If there's going to be another law school in Texas, especially a public one, placing one in North Texas makes sense. Then the Metroplex would have SMU, UNT, and TTTTexas Wesleyan, in addition to UT servicing the market.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

scionb4

Silver

Post by scionb4 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:49 pm

FunkyJD wrote:
scionb4 wrote:UNT is opening one - I would rather see Texas A&M open one than UNT.
Here's my thing: If Texas A&M had one, ostensibly it would place better in Houston than Dallas, due to proximity. Then Houston would have UT, UH, STCL, TSU, and TA&M servicing its market. Does Houston need that many law schools in its market?

If there's going to be another law school in Texas, especially a public one, placing one in North Texas makes sense. Then the Metroplex would have SMU, UNT, and TTTTexas Wesleyan, in addition to UT servicing the market.
Once again - I will reiterate my primary point: I'm not saying there should be more law schools in Houston, I'm not saying that A&M should add a law school, I'm saying for a resident of Texas it would be cool if a public school like that was an available option. The point of the thread was supposed to be a wish lise for a future that would never happen, not a debate on whether or not there should be more law schools. It was a HYPOTHETICAL question. Which schools do you WISH had a law school? Get it?

FunkyJD

Silver

Post by FunkyJD » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:42 pm

scionb4 wrote:
FunkyJD wrote:

Once again - I will reiterate my primary point: I'm not saying there should be more law schools in Houston, I'm not saying that A&M should add a law school, I'm saying for a resident of Texas it would be cool if a public school like that was an available option. The point of the thread was supposed to be a wish lise for a future that would never happen, not a debate on whether or not there should be more law schools. It was a HYPOTHETICAL question. Which schools do you WISH had a law school? Get it?
See your earlier statement above to understand the point I was referencing. You suggested that if it came down to TA&M or UNT opening a law school, you felt TA&M should open a law school rather than UNT. My argument was that UNT would be the better option for residents of Texas, hypothetical question or not.

And as I said, FWIW, a Rice Law School would kick ass.

ViP

Bronze

Post by ViP » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:47 pm

PDaddy wrote:I broached this topic a while ago (including what schools we may want to close), as have many others over the past years. Many schools (about 80) need to close! That said, here are schools I believe should have schools:

MIT (Despite above poster's contention, would be an IP powerhouse)
Johns Hopkins (would be an IP and Medical Law powerhouse)
Rochester (Would likely be a corporate law powerhouse)
Carnegie Mellon (Could specialize in a host of areas, including business law, art law and IP)
Rice (Could replace some unneccessary Texas schools with a prestigious one)
UC-San Diego (if Cal Tech can't feasibly have a school that replaces Cal Western and others, why not UCSD?)
Spelman (The Yale - or Wellesley - of black colleges could train top black female lawyers or be co-ed)
Princeton (All Ivies should have law schools)
Dartmouth (All Ivies should have law schools)
Brown (Al Ivies should have law schools)

Princeton and Brown have academic philosophies (which should change) that keep them from opening law schools, but I could realistically see Dartmouth opening one.

There are some liberal arts schools that should open schools, as well.
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 4&t=110959
Because Irvine beat them to the punch.

Dr. Strangelove

Silver

Post by Dr. Strangelove » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:48 pm

Binghamton will have a law school in the near future!
--LinkRemoved--
I've heard from my sister, who goes to SUNY Binghamton, that the law school should exist within a couple of years.

If Brown, Dartmouth, and Princeton want to create the T17.. or kick less worthy schools out of the T14, then by all means, let them create law schools!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

hiromoto45

Silver

Post by hiromoto45 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:58 pm

acdisagod wrote:SUNY Geneseo, or SUNY Binghamton, NY state needs a tier one public option.
Top 100 is Tier 1 technically, so University at Buffalo qualifies.

TTTennis

Bronze

Post by TTTennis » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:00 pm

Swarthmore and Phoenix online (I want to earn a JD from the comfort of my own home)

hiromoto45

Silver

Post by hiromoto45 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:01 pm

TTTennis wrote:Swarthmore and Phoenix online (I want to earn a JD from the comfort of my own home)
Phoenix does...haven't you gotten scholarship offers from Candy?

TTTennis

Bronze

Post by TTTennis » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:04 pm

hiromoto45 wrote:
TTTennis wrote:Swarthmore and Phoenix online (I want to earn a JD from the comfort of my own home)
Phoenix does...haven't you gotten scholarship offers from Candy?
^^ LOL at this. She actually just wrote me again a couple of days again making sure I received her last scholarship offer...only she increased the offer. Needless to say, I applied, and hopefully will be hearing some good news in the near future.

I was talking about the online college, I think Candy's is a different one.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”