Fordham (60k) vs Cardozo (Full Ride)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Guest080

Fordham (60k) vs Cardozo (Full Ride)

Postby Guest080 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:32 am

Here's a new one (but feel free to contribute to the UCLA vs Fordham thread as well).

Cardozo (full ride)

vs.

Fordham (60k)

I vacillate between wanting to do something public interest oriented, like a stint at the District Attorney's office or some other government job, and something a bit more lucrative. Obviously, having no debt allows for more career options as far as not having to worry about repaying the loans after graduation.

Wanted to see what you kind folks have to say about the two options. Is there a clear winner here?

FIGHT!

chutzpah

Re: Fordham (60k) vs Cardozo (Full Ride)

Postby chutzpah » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:27 am

Fordham. Did you go to the ASD this weekend? They mentioned that there are more Fordham grads in the Manhattan DAs office than any other school. They have an arrangement with the Queens DA for their prosecution clinic in which students get to do substantive prosecutor work. The dean was a government lawyer and makes personal calls in support of students seeking clerkships. Fordham has far better success placing students/grads in biglaw, even during this downturn.

Fordham doesn't have the financial resources of Cardozo (huge schollys, pretty classrooms, endless budget), but definitely has a superior reputation and history of success. If you want biglaw or government, I think Fordham is the right choice. If you want to work for a public interest organization (legal aid, etc), graduating with no debt from Cardozo would be a contender, but otherwise I think you should go Fordham.

chicago520

Postby chicago520 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:48 pm

chutzpah wrote:Fordham. Did you go to the ASD this weekend? They mentioned that there are more Fordham grads in the Manhattan DAs office than any other school. They have an arrangement with the Queens DA for their prosecution clinic in which students get to do substantive prosecutor work. The dean was a government lawyer and makes personal calls in support of students seeking clerkships. Fordham has far better success placing students/grads in biglaw, even during this downturn.

Fordham doesn't have the financial resources of Cardozo (huge schollys, pretty classrooms, endless budget), but definitely has a superior reputation and history of success. If you want biglaw or government, I think Fordham is the right choice. If you want to work for a public interest organization (legal aid, etc), graduating with no debt from Cardozo would be a contender, but otherwise I think you should go Fordham.

cardozo has a prosecution clinic with the Manhattan DA, run by a head of thier trial bureau, who is a cardozo grad. just sayin.

timertimer61

Postby timertimer61 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:58 pm

you got a pretty good deal from fordham. the extra cost compared to cardozo is worth it.
id take it and run with it.

ballpop

Postby ballpop » Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:40 pm

Fordham has a terrible LRAP. Cardozo just got a 5 million dollar donation to their LRAP---though you might only use it for one or two years.

I gotta say, though, the perception of Fordham is really firm oriented...whether that is self selection or debt related motivation is up for debate.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”