Georgetown vs. UCLA, where should I go?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
motiontodismiss

Re: Georgetown vs. UCLA, where should I go?

Postby motiontodismiss » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:37 pm

You can have that broke cesspool of a state university system. I'd never apply to UCLA and I'm not going to ever apply to UCLA.

nealric

Postby nealric » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:59 pm

The people making outlandish claims about UCLA's tuition are morons and were probably rejected. (That is the most inflammatory thing I have ever said, but I don't feel too bad about it.)

LOL

http://abovethelaw.com/2009/11/law-scho ... alifornia/

I am a graduating 3L. I have no incentive to bash UCLA.

nealric

Postby nealric » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:03 pm

Got any evidence of that? (in all seriousness). GULC put 43% in NLJ 250, UCLA put 36%. Even accounting for self-selection, I would bet the access to CA biglaw from UCLA is better

My experience from OCI was that location really meant nothing to recruiters coming to GULC. They don't necessarily need to send someone from CA to do interviewing here. A lot of firms just sent someone from the DC office to interview for the whole firm. I still got plenty of callbacks from firms that did not send someone from the office I was interviewing for.

I had several friends interviewing for the CA market. Granted, this was 2008, but people were getting callbacks from top CA firms like Latham who were barely top 1/3. I don't think Latham was calling back top 1/3 people from UCLA even in 2008.

The Brainalist

Postby The Brainalist » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:03 pm

Hopefullawstudent wrote:
relmeligy wrote:This is the current in state tuition rate at UCLA for students admitted in 2008 or later:
$35,328

I don't know where people are getting all these crazy numbers about 45k or 50k. That sounds outlandish.

+1,000,000

The people making outlandish claims about UCLA's tuition are morons and were probably rejected. (That is the most inflammatory thing I have ever said, but I don't feel too bad about it.)

I think people are equating UCLA with Berkeley, which is set to become the most expensive in-state tuition in the nation. http://theshark.typepad.com/files/feeincreases-1.pdf

http://theshark.typepad.com/weblog/2009 ... -soon.html

But, if you haven't been paying attention, the UCs are losing their freakin minds. All the relevant information is on the first post: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=95935

The regents seem to want to charge people more for berkeley because, well, they got something good and want to extract as many $ as they can for it. So if you want to go to berkeley instate rather than ucla, that will cost you an extra 4k.

And, no, I didn't get rejected by UCLA or Berkeley. Anyway, as one of the most adept legal minds of the last century once said, "If ya don't know, now you know."

tallboone

Postby tallboone » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:05 pm

unfortunately, the tuition increase predictions are right on. i'm sure you were probably sent your budget for next year, and the tuition hike is right on schedule:
http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/regents/regmeet/nov09/f2.pdf

(pg. 10 if you're interested)

bigchris1313

Postby bigchris1313 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:20 pm

And for anyone too lazy to follow the ATL link:

Those numbers are for in-state tutition. Here's what the picture looks like for non-CA residents.

jay115

Postby jay115 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:39 pm

nealric wrote:
As you stand right now, there's no real dilemma: go to UCLA. All "T13" chatter aside, GULC will not travel to CA well enough to offset UCLA's home field advantage in your preferred legal market.

This really isn't true for biglaw.

For other fields, yes there will be a home-field advantage. The question is how badly the OP wants to say in CA and what the OP's career goals are.

The T13 thing is just a troll started by Desert Fox.

Do you have stats? I don't mean to sound bitey, but I'm heading to UCLA law and it would be good to know if GT has more predominant placement statistics than UCLA. UCLA currently is a little under 40% biglaw, and that doesn't include those who go for federal clerkships and those who make bank at boutique firms.

nealric

Postby nealric » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:16 pm

Do you have stats? I don't mean to sound bitey, but I'm heading to UCLA law and it would be good to know if GT has more predominant placement statistics than UCLA. UCLA currently is a little under 40% biglaw, and that doesn't include those who go for federal clerkships and those who make bank at boutique firms.

The NLJ 250 numbers are pretty solidly in GULC's favor. Clerkship placement is pretty similar. I would factor out boutique firms, as a pretty negligible contingent of people start out at those.

jay115

Postby jay115 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:42 pm

nealric wrote:

The NLJ 250 numbers are pretty solidly in GULC's favor. Clerkship placement is pretty similar. I would factor out boutique firms, as a pretty negligible contingent of people start out at those.

I would assume so as most of the NLJ 250 firms are located in New York and elsewhere on the east coast. The question was whether GULC has better representation at firms on the west coast, specifically LA. I do agree with your comment though that most people don't start out at boutiques - that would be a sweet first job.

weee

Postby weee » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:50 pm

Hopefullawstudent wrote:
relmeligy wrote:This is the current in state tuition rate at UCLA for students admitted in 2008 or later:
$35,328

I don't know where people are getting all these crazy numbers about 45k or 50k. That sounds outlandish.

+1,000,000

The people making outlandish claims about UCLA's tuition are morons and were probably rejected. (That is the most inflammatory thing I have ever said,but I don't feel too bad about it.)

You sure?

flyingpanda

Postby flyingpanda » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:08 pm

Hopefullawstudent wrote:
$35,328

+1,000,000

Or... it could be that we're actually reading the documents that the UC system itself published on tuition hikes (See above posts).

FunkyJD

Postby FunkyJD » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:18 pm

Hopefullawstudent wrote:
$35,328

+1,000,000

P-w-n-e-d.

fortissimo

Postby fortissimo » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:31 pm

bigchris1313 wrote:And for anyone too lazy to follow the ATL link:

Those numbers are for in-state tutition. Here's what the picture looks like for non-CA residents.

57k to 60k for tuition alone within 2 years? Jokesters.

I would go to Georgetown in a split second (better LRAP, better job prospects, better location), even though it's my least favorite top 14. The CA (both LA and SF, but more so the latter) markets suck right now. It's probably safer to land ANY legal job out of Georgetown, which gets more offices from around the nation at its OCI (including easier markets to break into). Since the schools cost around the same, I would put your target location on the backburner and just max the shot of getting any law job out of law school.

MURPH

Postby MURPH » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:40 am

ArmyVet07 wrote:
MURPH wrote:I am in at UCLA and WL'ed at GULC. If $ were no issue, I'd probably pick GULC because I like the east coast, never spent much time in Cali and would prefer to live on the east coast after graduation. I wouldn't mind working in some type of political area of law after graduation, maybe even federal gov't work. GULC probably offers better opportunities for this type of career.
That having been said, I'll probably go to UCLA because I am in there and who knows if I'll get off the waitlist. Plus I have a GI Bill and Yellow Ribbon scholarship. GULC is stingy with the yellow ribbon scholarships and I am not interested in going into debt.

Has UCLA confirmed that you would receive a yellow ribbon scholarship? I ask because they limit the number of awards to ten, while GULC gives the scholarship (a much smaller amount, as you noted) to all eligible vets.
http://www.gibill.va.gov/GI_Bill_Info/C ... t_2009.htm
Of course, I have no idea how many eligible vets are likely to apply/be accepted by either program.

They confirmed that I was among the first ten (actually the first) that submitted my complete paperwork. Technically, they didn't put in writing that I would get it because they have to make sure it all checks out.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”