Emory vs Rutgers-N

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
concerned1
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:18 am

Emory vs Rutgers-N

Postby concerned1 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:29 am

So i want to be clear. I am from NJ and for now i want to do BigLaw for a bit in either NY or NJ. I know Rutgers-N will give me greater access in NJ itself but what about NY? I dont think in this economy many firms are seeking Rutger law students when they can get the lesser amount needed from better schools. So how much placement leeway will be added by attending the much better school, Emory.
Other things to consider: in Rutgers the students will not be as hard to compete against as they will in Emory. Of course the R-N is much cheaper especially since they are throwing$$$. But the social scene at Emory really appeals to me. Its going to be three long years and i want to be able to have fun when i need to;something i doubt i will get at R-N.
Lastly. What type of BigLaw market is there in Jersey anyway?

rahrahohlala
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:19 pm

Re: Emory vs Rutgers-N

Postby rahrahohlala » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:53 pm

Not that this really helps but I am in the same predicament as you. I really liked Rutgers when I visited and haven't been to Emory yet (but I'm sure I would like it). I do have a friend who is a current 1L at Rutgers and she can't say enough good things about the school. She also doesn't seem too worried about job prospects and she said almost all of her friends had decent jobs already lined up for summer.

User avatar
Nicholasnickynic
Posts: 1126
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:21 pm

Re: Emory vs Rutgers-N

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:35 pm

Don't assume you can get better grades at one school over the other.

Emory is ranked much better. That is 100% true and will be when you graduate.

That you are going to do better at rutgers than emory is in no way certain. You have a good shot... but law school is stressful enough with out knowning that you HAVE to place in the top 15 or 20%.

Plus, if you go to emory, it'd be hard to screw your career up.

If you go to rutgers and do poorly, well you'd be in a world of hurt after doing bad a lower t2 school.

If I were you I'd look into biglaw in atlanta. Emory is pretty much #1 there. Theres about a zillion schools ahead of Rutgers for nj and ny.

User avatar
soullesswonder
Posts: 553
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: Emory vs Rutgers-N

Postby soullesswonder » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:50 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:Don't assume you can get better grades at one school over the other.

Emory is ranked much better. That is 100% true and will be when you graduate.

That you are going to do better at rutgers than emory is in no way certain. You have a good shot... but law school is stressful enough with out knowning that you HAVE to place in the top 15 or 20%.

Plus, if you go to emory, it'd be hard to screw your career up.

If you go to rutgers and do poorly, well you'd be in a world of hurt after doing bad a lower t2 school.

If I were you I'd look into biglaw in atlanta. Emory is pretty much #1 there. Theres about a zillion schools ahead of Rutgers for nj and ny.


I guess Duke, UVA, and Vandy never got the memo about Emory being #1 in ATL. I know that there's even more schools that trump Rutgers in NYC, but gimme a break.

User avatar
najumobi
Posts: 1111
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:36 pm

Re: Emory vs Rutgers-N

Postby najumobi » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:09 am

soullesswonder wrote:
Nicholasnickynic wrote:Don't assume you can get better grades at one school over the other.

Emory is ranked much better. That is 100% true and will be when you graduate.

That you are going to do better at rutgers than emory is in no way certain. You have a good shot... but law school is stressful enough with out knowning that you HAVE to place in the top 15 or 20%.

Plus, if you go to emory, it'd be hard to screw your career up.

If you go to rutgers and do poorly, well you'd be in a world of hurt after doing bad a lower t2 school.

If I were you I'd look into biglaw in atlanta. Emory is pretty much #1 there. Theres about a zillion schools ahead of Rutgers for nj and ny.


I guess Duke, UVA, and Vandy never got the memo about Emory being #1 in ATL. I know that there's even more schools that trump Rutgers in NYC, but gimme a break.
yeah but nyc is the most popular market for almost all T14 schools. emory just competing with duke, uva, vandy, and uga. even then, atlanta is only the a tertiary market for duke and uva, and a secondary market for vandy. emory grads will just be in head to head competition with uga grads.

on another note i would say you should really consider trying to start your career in atlanta...cost of living is way lower so one could get by with a lower paying job. and on that point make sure you're adjusting for cost of living when comparing the cost of attendance of each school. and to make calculations adjusting for what you'd have to pay if you don't meet your gpa requirement to keep your scholarship for 2l and 3l years (if your scholly isn't guaranteed). if it isn't guaranteed, then chances are that you'd lose it.

and to reiterate nicholas' point, it's useless it is to try to gauge how one will perform at a particular school.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Emory vs Rutgers-N

Postby keg411 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:22 am

BTW, Rutgers-Newark is approx. 24k/year in-state if OP didn't keep his/her scholly. So it's not really like some of the expensive, private T2's where they gouge you and you'll be 40k/year in the hole if you drop off. Can't say the job prospects would be wonderful, but it's "live-able" since you likely would not be in extreme debt. Everything I've heard anecdotally is that it isn't a "shitshow" there in terms of job prospects, but I could be wrong.

However, I'm not going to tell you to pass up a T20 like Emory for Rutgers unless you are 100% dead set on staying in North NJ and you have a strong debt aversion.

User avatar
soullesswonder
Posts: 553
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: Emory vs Rutgers-N

Postby soullesswonder » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:24 am

najumobi wrote:
soullesswonder wrote:
Nicholasnickynic wrote:Don't assume you can get better grades at one school over the other.

Emory is ranked much better. That is 100% true and will be when you graduate.

That you are going to do better at rutgers than emory is in no way certain. You have a good shot... but law school is stressful enough with out knowning that you HAVE to place in the top 15 or 20%.

Plus, if you go to emory, it'd be hard to screw your career up.

If you go to rutgers and do poorly, well you'd be in a world of hurt after doing bad a lower t2 school.

If I were you I'd look into biglaw in atlanta. Emory is pretty much #1 there. Theres about a zillion schools ahead of Rutgers for nj and ny.


I guess Duke, UVA, and Vandy never got the memo about Emory being #1 in ATL. I know that there's even more schools that trump Rutgers in NYC, but gimme a break.
yeah but nyc is the most popular market for almost all T14 schools. emory just competing with duke, uva, vandy, and uga. even then, atlanta is only the a tertiary market for duke and uva, and a secondary market for vandy. emory grads will just be in head to head competition with uga grads.



Gross overstatement. Atlanta is the third most popular destination for UVA grads after DC and NYC, making it a secondary market. Atlanta is also a secondary market for Duke. As for Vandy, there are more alums in GA (a number which includes the managing partners of Alston + Bird and King & Spalding) than any other state except TN. Vandy's placement also appears to have held up well during the legal recession, and I think an increased focus on ATL would be the most likely explanation. That increased focus comes at the expense of the Emory grads.

in 2005, Emory placed 23% in the NLJ 250. I'd hardly call that dominant, and considering the fact that some Emory grads (at least used to) go to the NE it does not appear to be much stronger in GA than UGA, which placed about 18% in the NLJ 250 that year. Of course, these stats are from the height of the boom, so today's stats are going to be significantly worse.
Last edited by soullesswonder on Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
najumobi
Posts: 1111
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:36 pm

Re: Emory vs Rutgers-N

Postby najumobi » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:34 am

soullesswonder wrote:
najumobi wrote:
soullesswonder wrote:
Nicholasnickynic wrote:Don't assume you can get better grades at one school over the other.

Emory is ranked much better. That is 100% true and will be when you graduate.

That you are going to do better at rutgers than emory is in no way certain. You have a good shot... but law school is stressful enough with out knowning that you HAVE to place in the top 15 or 20%.

Plus, if you go to emory, it'd be hard to screw your career up.

If you go to rutgers and do poorly, well you'd be in a world of hurt after doing bad a lower t2 school.

If I were you I'd look into biglaw in atlanta. Emory is pretty much #1 there. Theres about a zillion schools ahead of Rutgers for nj and ny.


I guess Duke, UVA, and Vandy never got the memo about Emory being #1 in ATL. I know that there's even more schools that trump Rutgers in NYC, but gimme a break.
yeah but nyc is the most popular market for almost all T14 schools. emory just competing with duke, uva, vandy, and uga. even then, atlanta is only the a tertiary market for duke and uva, and a secondary market for vandy. emory grads will just be in head to head competition with uga grads.



Gross overstatement. Atlanta is the third most popular destination for UVA grads after DC and NYC, making it a secondary market. Atlanta is also a secondary market for Duke. As for Vandy, there are more alums in GA (a number which includes the managing partners of Alston + Bird and King & Spalding) than any other state except TN.
you're right. so secondary for uva and duke and primary for vandy. i still think the competition in atlanta is dwarfed by that of nyc. seriosly OP would have to compete against students from over 25 schools....that's just insane. maybe over 30 if you count schools that are in proximate regions like BC, BU, GW and top schools like berkeley, and stanford that have really good reach.

User avatar
najumobi
Posts: 1111
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:36 pm

Re: Emory vs Rutgers-N

Postby najumobi » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:39 am

soullesswonder wrote:
in 2005, Emory placed 23% in the NLJ 250. I'd hardly call that dominant, and considering the fact that some Emory grads (at least used to) go to the NE it does not appear to be much stronger in GA than UGA, which placed about 18% in the NLJ 250 that year. Of course, these stats are from the height of the boom, so today's stats are going to be significantly worse.
well yeah...i'd say emory and uga are equals. i disagree with an earlier posters claim that emory is #1 in atlanta/is dominant there.

but both of these schools would put OP in a better position than rutger-N if OP wanted the best opportunity at getting a valuable legal job (which doesn't necessarily = nlj250).

User avatar
soullesswonder
Posts: 553
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: Emory vs Rutgers-N

Postby soullesswonder » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:47 am

najumobi wrote:
soullesswonder wrote:
in 2005, Emory placed 23% in the NLJ 250. I'd hardly call that dominant, and considering the fact that some Emory grads (at least used to) go to the NE it does not appear to be much stronger in GA than UGA, which placed about 18% in the NLJ 250 that year. Of course, these stats are from the height of the boom, so today's stats are going to be significantly worse.
well yeah...i'd say emory and uga are equals. i disagree with an earlier posters claim that emory is #1 in atlanta/is dominant there.

but both of these schools would put OP in a better position than rutger-N if OP wanted the best opportunity at getting a valuable legal job (which doesn't necessarily = nlj250).


I can generally agree with this sentiment, but AFAIK the OP would be paying sticker at Emory, and that's a lot of debt to be paying off in a job outside the NLJ 250.

EDIT: For reference, Rutgers was placing 14% in the NLJ 250 that year.

User avatar
najumobi
Posts: 1111
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:36 pm

Re: Emory vs Rutgers-N

Postby najumobi » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:01 am

soullesswonder wrote:
najumobi wrote:
soullesswonder wrote:
in 2005, Emory placed 23% in the NLJ 250. I'd hardly call that dominant, and considering the fact that some Emory grads (at least used to) go to the NE it does not appear to be much stronger in GA than UGA, which placed about 18% in the NLJ 250 that year. Of course, these stats are from the height of the boom, so today's stats are going to be significantly worse.
well yeah...i'd say emory and uga are equals. i disagree with an earlier posters claim that emory is #1 in atlanta/is dominant there.

but both of these schools would put OP in a better position than rutger-N if OP wanted the best opportunity at getting a valuable legal job (which doesn't necessarily = nlj250).


I can generally agree with this sentiment, but AFAIK the OP would be paying sticker at Emory, and that's a lot of debt to be paying off in a job outside the NLJ 250.

EDIT: For reference, Rutgers was placing 14% in the NLJ 250 that year.
so right regarding the bolded.

concerned1
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:18 am

Re: Emory vs Rutgers-N

Postby concerned1 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:37 am

So thanks for your responses so far. I am still waiting to hear what type pf oppurtunities Emory will provide in NYC over Rutgers. Anyone?

User avatar
bernie shmegma
Posts: 269
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:17 pm

Re: Emory vs Rutgers-N

Postby bernie shmegma » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:52 am

Look up the biggest firms and their NY offices. See if you can search by education and check out how many associates and partners went to Emory and Rutgers respectively. Write down each firm, survey 5-10-15 different firms or how ever many you like and record the numbers.

Look up on TLS somewhere is a link to a chart from 2006 with Big Law numbers for all schools (nationwide though, not just NY)

At least they have a this event on campus:

http://vsrv4.law.emory.edu/index.php?id ... ildview%3D

User avatar
bernie shmegma
Posts: 269
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:17 pm

Re: Emory vs Rutgers-N

Postby bernie shmegma » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:26 am

najumobi wrote:
but both of these schools would put OP in a better position than rutger-N if OP wanted the best opportunity at getting a valuable legal job (which doesn't necessarily = nlj250).


Wait. Do you really think the OP has a better shot at getting a valuable legal job from one of these three school over the other? If so, what is your reason? Is it based on stats that consist of an absolute number of students in jobs from one school that just so happens to accept the type of students who have a higher chance of success for certain markets in the first place? Does this mean it provides more opportunity? Why exactly is it that you think one institution provides a better opportunity over the other? Do you ever question this argument and the premises for which it is built? What does this mean of your advice to the OP?

User avatar
najumobi
Posts: 1111
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:36 pm

Re: Emory vs Rutgers-N

Postby najumobi » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:59 am

bernie shmegma wrote:
najumobi wrote:
but both of these schools would put OP in a better position than rutger-N if OP wanted the best opportunity at getting a valuable legal job (which doesn't necessarily = nlj250).


Wait. Do you really think the OP has a better shot at getting a valuable legal job from one of these three school over the other? If so, what is your reason? Is it based on stats that consist of an absolute number of students in jobs from one school that just so happens to accept the type of students who have a higher chance of success for certain markets in the first place? Does this mean it provides more opportunity? Why exactly is it that you think one institution provides a better opportunity over the other? Do you ever question this argument and the premises for which it is built? What does this mean of your advice to the OP?
eh...i don't buy that the difference in how well these 2 schools place is linked to any fundamental difference in the level of motivation or commitment (to working towards success in the legal field) of each school's student body. in regards to data backing my point, a greater percentage of emory 3Ls have jobs at graduation. there appears to be a correlation between jobs at graduation and the kind of jobs a school's graduates procure. also a smaller percentage of emory grads work in "business and industry" rather than in clerkships, govt, or firms. "business and industry" jobs can range from a corporation's general counsel to mcdonald's, so jobs that fall within this category may not necessarily be legal jobs.

User avatar
bernie shmegma
Posts: 269
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:17 pm

Re: Emory vs Rutgers-N

Postby bernie shmegma » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:35 am

najumobi wrote:
bernie shmegma wrote:
najumobi wrote:
but both of these schools would put OP in a better position than rutger-N if OP wanted the best opportunity at getting a valuable legal job (which doesn't necessarily = nlj250).


Wait. Do you really think the OP has a better shot at getting a valuable legal job from one of these three school over the other? If so, what is your reason? Is it based on stats that consist of an absolute number of students in jobs from one school that just so happens to accept the type of students who have a higher chance of success for certain markets in the first place? Does this mean it provides more opportunity? Why exactly is it that you think one institution provides a better opportunity over the other? Do you ever question this argument and the premises for which it is built? What does this mean of your advice to the OP?
eh...i don't buy that the difference in how well these 2 schools place is linked to any fundamental difference in the level of motivation or commitment (to working towards success in the legal field) of each school's student body. in regards to data backing my point, a greater percentage of emory 3Ls have jobs at graduation. there appears to be a correlation between jobs at graduation and the kind of jobs a school's graduates procure. also a smaller percentage of emory grads work in "business and industry" rather than in clerkships, govt, or firms. "business and industry" jobs can range from a corporation's general counsel to mcdonald's, so jobs that fall within this category may not necessarily be legal jobs.


Right, but is all of that because of the school or because of the students who are going to each school? The institution may have nothing to do with it.

User avatar
soullesswonder
Posts: 553
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: Emory vs Rutgers-N

Postby soullesswonder » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:23 am

bernie shmegma wrote:
najumobi wrote:
bernie shmegma wrote:
najumobi wrote:
but both of these schools would put OP in a better position than rutger-N if OP wanted the best opportunity at getting a valuable legal job (which doesn't necessarily = nlj250).


Wait. Do you really think the OP has a better shot at getting a valuable legal job from one of these three school over the other? If so, what is your reason? Is it based on stats that consist of an absolute number of students in jobs from one school that just so happens to accept the type of students who have a higher chance of success for certain markets in the first place? Does this mean it provides more opportunity? Why exactly is it that you think one institution provides a better opportunity over the other? Do you ever question this argument and the premises for which it is built? What does this mean of your advice to the OP?
eh...i don't buy that the difference in how well these 2 schools place is linked to any fundamental difference in the level of motivation or commitment (to working towards success in the legal field) of each school's student body. in regards to data backing my point, a greater percentage of emory 3Ls have jobs at graduation. there appears to be a correlation between jobs at graduation and the kind of jobs a school's graduates procure. also a smaller percentage of emory grads work in "business and industry" rather than in clerkships, govt, or firms. "business and industry" jobs can range from a corporation's general counsel to mcdonald's, so jobs that fall within this category may not necessarily be legal jobs.


Right, but is all of that because of the school or because of the students who are going to each school? The institution may have nothing to do with it.


It's largely the former. You could argue that there is some self-selection in clerkships and academia (Chicago comes to mind), but after a while that self-selection will spur the school to offer more resources for those paths, and therefore creates a cycle. But private sector work is a much broader field. All of these paths, more importantly, are very prestige driven. Last year Scalia gave a talk to a bunch of students at American and in response to a question from a student he basically said not to bother applying for a SCOTUS clerkship, since American wasn't an elite school (I'm paraphrasing).

The real problem with your statement is that it appears to suggest that a student can ignore the placement data based on his belief that he can be at the top of his class. Any actual law student on TLS can tell you that's a really, really bad assumption - law school exams and curves are simply too capricious to make that kind of calculation.

User avatar
bernie shmegma
Posts: 269
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:17 pm

Re: Emory vs Rutgers-N

Postby bernie shmegma » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:36 pm

soullesswonder wrote:
Wait. Do you really think the OP has a better shot at getting a valuable legal job from one of these three school over the other? If so, what is your reason? Is it based on stats that consist of an absolute number of students in jobs from one school that just so happens to accept the type of students who have a higher chance of success for certain markets in the first place? Does this mean it provides more opportunity? Why exactly is it that you think one institution provides a better opportunity over the other? Do you ever question this argument and the premises for which it is built? What does this mean of your advice to the OP?
eh...i don't buy that the difference in how well these 2 schools place is linked to any fundamental difference in the level of motivation or commitment (to working towards success in the legal field) of each school's student body. in regards to data backing my point, a greater percentage of emory 3Ls have jobs at graduation. there appears to be a correlation between jobs at graduation and the kind of jobs a school's graduates procure. also a smaller percentage of emory grads work in "business and industry" rather than in clerkships, govt, or firms. "business and industry" jobs can range from a corporation's general counsel to mcdonald's, so jobs that fall within this category may not necessarily be legal jobs.[/quote]

Right, but is all of that because of the school or because of the students who are going to each school? The institution may have nothing to do with it.[/quote]

It's largely the former. You could argue that there is some self-selection in clerkships and academia (Chicago comes to mind), but after a while that self-selection will spur the school to offer more resources for those paths, and therefore creates a cycle. But private sector work is a much broader field. All of these paths, more importantly, are very prestige driven. Last year Scalia gave a talk to a bunch of students at American and in response to a question from a student he basically said not to bother applying for a SCOTUS clerkship, since American wasn't an elite school (I'm paraphrasing).

The real problem with your statement is that it appears to suggest that a student can ignore the placement data based on his belief that he can be at the top of his class. Any actual law student on TLS can tell you that's a really, really bad assumption - law school exams and curves are simply too capricious to make that kind of calculation.[/quote]

I've watched that Scalia video from AU three times (assuming its the Admin law/Chevron video)

I'm not saying that a student can be at the top of his class for sure, but that the cost/benefit analysis doesn't necessarily equal "Go to "best" school you get into because of that. " And no, I do not suggest ignoring placement data. But, I do suggest that the placement information should be considered with caution when making this investment.

User avatar
soullesswonder
Posts: 553
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: Emory vs Rutgers-N

Postby soullesswonder » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:48 pm

bernie shmegma wrote:I'm not saying that a student can be at the top of his class for sure, but that the cost/benefit analysis doesn't necessarily equal "Go to "best" school you get into because of that. " And no, I do not suggest ignoring placement data. But, I do suggest that the placement information should be considered with caution when making this investment.


Both I and najumobi agreed that sticker at Emory was a big commitment, even given the advantage in NLJ 250 placement, so I'm not sure what you're adding that's new. Many posters are a bit leary of paying sticker at a non-T14 private school, even if it does have a slight edge in placement over other choices.

User avatar
bernie shmegma
Posts: 269
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:17 pm

Re: Emory vs Rutgers-N

Postby bernie shmegma » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:17 pm

soullesswonder wrote:
bernie shmegma wrote:I'm not saying that a student can be at the top of his class for sure, but that the cost/benefit analysis doesn't necessarily equal "Go to "best" school you get into because of that. " And no, I do not suggest ignoring placement data. But, I do suggest that the placement information should be considered with caution when making this investment.


Both I and najumobi agreed that sticker at Emory was a big commitment, even given the advantage in NLJ 250 placement, so I'm not sure what you're adding that's new. Many posters are a bit leary of paying sticker at a non-T14 private school, even if it does have a slight edge in placement over other choices.


Najumobi's statement does not indicate just a slight edge over other choices. He may agree sticker at non-T14 is a big commitment, but that does not necessarily answer his perspective on job placement and the weight he puts on it when soliciting advice. I am highlighting this, bring forth the questions people should ask about pertaining to the support behind such factors and adding something new to the forum by doing so. You may agree with me, but that does not mean what I am adding is not something new. Najumobi's comments, I think, warranted another perspective. I am not saying he cannot be right about opportunities because of NLJ250 stats. I am just saying he is not necessarily right with regard to the OP's situation and particular schools in question.

rando
Posts: 908
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:57 pm

Re: Emory vs Rutgers-N

Postby rando » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:29 pm

Without coming across as too biased; Emory and UGA are not equals. UGA is a great school and this has been rehashed on this board over and over again, but Emory does better in ATL biglaw hands down.
While the NLJ data is interesting, it is out of date. We will only know the true differences due to the recession in the next edition.

The argument that Emory is not #1 in ATL is not right because even though an employer would choose a UVA et al. student over an Emory student, there are simply more Emory grads working in ATL. You could use a similar argument with almost any major city and say that higher ranked schools would place better there. That being said, there are a lot of Vandy and UVA grads here in ATL.

wizoz
Posts: 173
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:47 am

Re: Emory vs Rutgers-N

Postby wizoz » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:37 pm

Why are people debating whether or not Emory is better than UGA or how well either school places in Georgia? The (wo)man says (s)he wants to work in big law in NJ or NY. So, does Emory or does RU-N place better for NY or NJ big law?

I think RU-N places well in its market. Emory, being a regional southern school, I don't think, will place as well in NY and definitely, not in NJ. Both RU's have NJ on lock.

User avatar
soullesswonder
Posts: 553
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: Emory vs Rutgers-N

Postby soullesswonder » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:44 pm

wizoz wrote:Why are people debating whether or not Emory is better than UGA or how well either school places in Georgia? The (wo)man says (s)he wants to work in big law in NJ or NY. So, does Emory or does RU-N place better for NY or NJ big law?

I think RU-N places well in its market. Emory, being a regional southern school, I don't think, will place as well in NY and definitely, not in NJ. Both RU's have NJ on lock.


Before the economy tanked, Emory was getting some limited play in NYC. I think the greater point here is that neither school is great for biglaw in NYC, so the question comes down to

1. Would you rather have a better shot at Biglaw even if it means having less of a chance in NYC/NJ? (and here Emory's placement in GA is a factor, b/c it determines how much better than shot is)
2. Would you be willing to pay more for that better shot?

I would say RU-N comes out ahead in this analysis, but that's just me.

rando
Posts: 908
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:57 pm

Re: Emory vs Rutgers-N

Postby rando » Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:20 pm

soullesswonder wrote:
I would say RU-N comes out ahead in this analysis, but that's just me.


I definitely won't deny that. I have zero knowledge of Rutgers. Anecdotally, Emory's NYC OCI program this year was ok. Nothing to write home about, but not awful. In the past, being in top 30% pretty much guaranteed NYC biglaw. This year, needed something near top 10% for NY.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ggnobbq and 5 guests