Stanford vs. Columbia

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
RealTalk

Stanford vs. Columbia

Postby RealTalk » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:14 pm

money isn't an issue for me as I expect both schools to give me roughly the same amount of fin aid

I'm all about prestige so Stanford seems like the logical choice being in class with Harvard and Yale........but then again I want to work in biglaw at one of the prestigious V5 firms that are all located in NYC.........Columbia kills Stanford in that regard........but then again Stanford has the advantage when it comes to SCOTUS placement which is a goal of mine.

I'm so confused right now!!!

can ya'll help me decide???

joonhp

Re: Stanford vs. Columbia

Postby joonhp » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:17 pm

Just prioritize your list...what's really the most important? I also think Stanford will get you to your big law dreams regardless...

gossipgirl

Postby gossipgirl » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:20 pm

If you're all about prestige and want to clerk in the SCOTUS, go to Stanford.

RealTalk

Postby RealTalk » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:43 pm

gossipgirl wrote:If you're all about prestige and want to clerk in the SCOTUS, go to Stanford.

thats what I am leaning to but I'm concerned that going to Stanford will not allow me to leave the west coast

I've heard stanford doesn't place that well in NYC compared to Columbia/Harvard/Yale

badfish

Postby badfish » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:46 pm

RealTalk wrote:
gossipgirl wrote:If you're all about prestige and want to clerk in the SCOTUS, go to Stanford.

thats what I am leaning to but I'm concerned that going to Stanford will not allow me to leave the west coast

I've heard stanford doesn't place that well in NYC compared to Columbia/Harvard/Yale

"Doesn't place well" is a very relative term. Go to Stanford. The gap between the tiers is big enough to justify this decision.

smov_operator

Postby smov_operator » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:59 pm

badfish wrote:
RealTalk wrote:

"Doesn't place well" is a very relative term. Go to Stanford. The gap between the tiers is big enough to justify this decision.

Definitely agree. Any advantage that Columbia may hold over Stanford in east coast biglaw is probably explained by self-selection anyway.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”