My wife makes 110k, 27 years old and wants to go to Law sch

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
SBimmer
Posts: 47
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: My wife makes 110k, 27 years old and wants to go to Law sch

Postby SBimmer » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:58 pm

itsmytime10 wrote:
SBimmer wrote:Not to hijack this post but I make more than OP's wife, have her by eighteen years and I'm married with a child, and yes, I'm seriously considering law school. I know, most of you would say, "Stick with your current job/career." However, life is too short to go through it wondering "I should have gone to law school when I had a chance." I'm shooting for T14/T28 and BigLaw. I'm going for it if accepted to T14/T28. No looking back.


Nice. what kind of job do you do? did you not like it?


I'm an IT professional and have been doing it for sixteen years. It's changed quite a bit since I started and I'm looking for another challenge the last half of my working career. BigLaw is what I've chosen...hope it chooses me.

Septhinox
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:05 pm

Re: My wife makes 110k, 27 years old and wants to go to Law sch

Postby Septhinox » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:11 pm

I am a frequent lurker here on thee forums and just signed up to reply to this thread.

I am a 32yo IT professional making 110k a year and am going to leave IT to attend law school. I have weighed the pros and cons and the phrase "you only live once" is a huge factor for me as well. For the OP, if she really wants too, support her decision. The regrets in the future may become unbearable.

User avatar
SteelReserve
Posts: 299
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:46 pm

Re: My wife makes 110k, 27 years old and wants to go to Law sch

Postby SteelReserve » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:21 pm

itsmytime10,

You still haven't quite responded as to whether your wife can explain why she wants to be a lawyer so badly and more importantly, if those reasons match up with the reality of being a law student and lawyer. This is really the focal point of this discussion. Because if she really wants to be a lawyer and not her idea of what a lawyer is, then you can't really stop her from pursuing her goals, regardless of the massive financial hit you will inevitably take (as someone explained you're talking at least 430k in lost money).

Again, can she explain why she wants to be a lawyer, how many lawyers she knows, how many lawyers she has talked to, whether her desires actually match up with legal practice, etc.

itsmytime10
Posts: 162
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:37 am

Re: My wife makes 110k, 27 years old and wants to go to Law sch

Postby itsmytime10 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:28 pm

SteelReserve wrote:itsmytime10,

You still haven't quite responded as to whether your wife can explain why she wants to be a lawyer so badly and more importantly, if those reasons match up with the reality of being a law student and lawyer. This is really the focal point of this discussion. Because if she really wants to be a lawyer and not her idea of what a lawyer is, then you can't really stop her from pursuing her goals, regardless of the massive financial hit you will inevitably take (as someone explained you're talking at least 430k in lost money).

Again, can she explain why she wants to be a lawyer, how many lawyers she knows, how many lawyers she has talked to, whether her desires actually match up with legal practice, etc.


I will have her reply to this question when i get home.

itsmytime10
Posts: 162
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:37 am

Re: My wife makes 110k, 27 years old and wants to go to Law sch

Postby itsmytime10 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:31 pm

SBimmer wrote:
itsmytime10 wrote:
SBimmer wrote:Not to hijack this post but I make more than OP's wife, have her by eighteen years and I'm married with a child, and yes, I'm seriously considering law school. I know, most of you would say, "Stick with your current job/career." However, life is too short to go through it wondering "I should have gone to law school when I had a chance." I'm shooting for T14/T28 and BigLaw. I'm going for it if accepted to T14/T28. No looking back.


Nice. what kind of job do you do? did you not like it?


I'm an IT professional and have been doing it for sixteen years. It's changed quite a bit since I started and I'm looking for another challenge the last half of my working career. BigLaw is what I've chosen...hope it chooses me.


I am a Software Engineer and I have been doing it for five years. I have a MS degree in it. For me i definitely don't see myself doing it for another year. I need a new challenge as well and like you i have chosen BigLaw.

User avatar
danquayle
Posts: 1108
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:12 am

Re: My wife makes 110k, 27 years old and wants to go to Law sch

Postby danquayle » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:34 pm

thequest wrote:
crazycanuck wrote:Why is she not in the kitchen making you sandwhiches?


+1


+1

itsmytime10
Posts: 162
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:37 am

Re: My wife makes 110k, 27 years old and wants to go to Law sch

Postby itsmytime10 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:30 pm

From OP's wife: the reason I want to go to law school is simply because that was originally what I wanted to do however, a major in poli sci in undergrad was not going to pay much since I wanted to delay LS a few years after UG. I 2nd majored in Finance and ended up taking a job in that field after UG. Then my company had a generous MBA reimbursement program so I took advantage of that to get my MBA while climbing up the salary ladder in the process.

In the back of my mind, I always wanted to go back to LS and combine that with Finance for a corporate finance/legal type role but having second thoughts looking at the current economy and the possibility I might come out at the same level or slightly higher income but with a humongous debt :(

So to answer all your questions, basically want to go to LS to follow a dream.

Any advice??

User avatar
ruleser
Posts: 870
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:41 am

Re: My wife makes 110k, 27 years old and wants to go to Law sch

Postby ruleser » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:35 pm

Hmm, I posted in the other thread, but will weigh in here as well as one with a somewhat higher salary who is heavily leaning toward keeping the job and doing LS PT even if it means lower ranked school.

The two biggest storylines at the moment are people unable to find jobs - jobs at all, never mind good paying ones - and people saddled by student debt. I like my paychecks, and my employer will work with my schedule so I can do PT.

Also, I have asked the legal dept. where I work if I can pop in there and work on cases with people suing us - they said sure, and also I can get involved in contracts - and even hinted they may be looking for in-house counsel in a few years.

I would still think of Big Law/clerk, all those poss.s, but I don't think I can ignore the economy, nor really that in any economy moving backward $150K instead of forward several hundred K is a wise decision - a few years of double-duty and you escape 20 years of debt.

I have a two-year plan right now - do work/PT for two years - that is the point at which you can transfer to a FT - or get a job with a law firm. It 2 years, I can reasses the economy/see if I want to jump to a law firm/if things are open, and either thank myself for keeping my job (if I still have it) or move on to a FT prog, etc. It's sort of a no lose way to keep options open without betting your life on the unknown.

At 27 though, I couldn't fault someone who got into a solid prog, especially is $$$. They have a lot of life left, and the econ will return eventually. But just think of $100K in the bank and a JD as opposed to $250K in debt between the two of you - bet your marriage would be happier that way...

PS My reasons for LS mid-career are similar to what the OP's wife listed above

User avatar
danquayle
Posts: 1108
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:12 am

Re: My wife makes 110k, 27 years old and wants to go to Law sch

Postby danquayle » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:43 pm

itsmytime10 wrote:From OP's wife: the reason I want to go to law school is simply because that was originally what I wanted to do however, a major in poli sci in undergrad was not going to pay much since I wanted to delay LS a few years after UG. I 2nd majored in Finance and ended up taking a job in that field after UG. Then my company had a generous MBA reimbursement program so I took advantage of that to get my MBA while climbing up the salary ladder in the process.

In the back of my mind, I always wanted to go back to LS and combine that with Finance for a corporate finance/legal type role but having second thoughts looking at the current economy and the possibility I might come out at the same level or slightly higher income but with a humongous debt :(

So to answer all your questions, basically want to go to LS to follow a dream.

Any advice??


I actually think the above answer is the correct one. With your time, a part time law degree would make sense. Of course, it only makes sense if there is a decent school that offers a part time degree in your area...

So OP, what would your options be?

There are situations where I don't think it'd be crazy to turn down 110K in salary for full time law school, but those are really restricted to going to a top 5 school, let alone a T-14 or a T1.

You also have to keep in mind theres always the possibility you'd come out of law school, find yourself unable to find a legal job, but also unable to return to your old job or one like it. I know a lot of employers will look at your education history and think you flighty and unable to commit to a career trajectory. I personally think this logic is faulty, but I've heard it straight from hiring managers' mouths.

User avatar
danquayle
Posts: 1108
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:12 am

Re: My wife makes 110k, 27 years old and wants to go to Law sch

Postby danquayle » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:47 pm

HiLine wrote:
yourdadcalled wrote:if i were a 20-something making 110K, no way in hell would i go to law school. too bad i came out of undergrad with a worthless degree.


It's not about the salary but the kind of job you wish to do.


At some point, it is about salary. You're going to tell me, with a straight face, you'd take your "dream job" if it earned you $40,000 over an "acceptable" job that earned you $200,000, especially if you had massive debt, kids and/or house payments? This could easily be the situation OP's wife could find herself in, should she choose law school over advancing her already strong career for 3 years.

I'm all for following your passion, and generally think you have the most success when you do. But I also think people overstate the "follow your passion" advice. What you really mean is "follow your passion" ....within reason.

User avatar
SteelReserve
Posts: 299
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:46 pm

Re: My wife makes 110k, 27 years old and wants to go to Law sch

Postby SteelReserve » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:55 pm

From OP's wife: the reason I want to go to law school is simply because that was originally what I wanted to do however, a major in poli sci in undergrad was not going to pay much since I wanted to delay LS a few years after UG. I 2nd majored in Finance and ended up taking a job in that field after UG. Then my company had a generous MBA reimbursement program so I took advantage of that to get my MBA while climbing up the salary ladder in the process.

In the back of my mind, I always wanted to go back to LS and combine that with Finance for a corporate finance/legal type role but having second thoughts looking at the current economy and the possibility I might come out at the same level or slightly higher income but with a humongous debt :(


It seems she verified my concerns in my question, chiefly that she does not have legal experience/has not talked with lawyers/does not know what lawyers do. She just has that 'back of the mind hunch', that 'lifelong dream'. The legal profession is smothered in people who just always thought they wanted to be a lawyer, get into the industry, and end up hating it.

Had she answered something like "I really enjoy legal research on lexis. I believe I will be good at and enjoy pouring over documents to recite facts in my brief with proper citations. I will enjoy reading caselaw, extracting the holding, and explaining why the record fits with that case. I will tolerate writing down what I do every 6 minutes. I have no problem with long hours. I understand that doing corporate law means I will not interact with clients and I will be doing a lot of compliance work. Also, I have spoken with several lawyers about what they do, debt loads, etc."

But instead, like my friends still in undergrad, she seems to be saying "well I just always had this hunch. my parents told me when I was a kid I was really good at arguing and making my point so...."

Anyway I think I've made my point here so I wish you both the best of luck in whatever you all choose.

SBimmer
Posts: 47
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: My wife makes 110k, 27 years old and wants to go to Law sch

Postby SBimmer » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:00 pm

itsmytime10 wrote:
SBimmer wrote:
itsmytime10 wrote:
SBimmer wrote:Not to hijack this post but I make more than OP's wife, have her by eighteen years and I'm married with a child, and yes, I'm seriously considering law school. I know, most of you would say, "Stick with your current job/career." However, life is too short to go through it wondering "I should have gone to law school when I had a chance." I'm shooting for T14/T28 and BigLaw. I'm going for it if accepted to T14/T28. No looking back.


Nice. what kind of job do you do? did you not like it?


I'm an IT professional and have been doing it for sixteen years. It's changed quite a bit since I started and I'm looking for another challenge the last half of my working career. BigLaw is what I've chosen...hope it chooses me.


I am a Software Engineer and I have been doing it for five years. I have a MS degree in it. For me i definitely don't see myself doing it for another year. I need a new challenge as well and like you i have chosen BigLaw.


Go for it, and don't look back.

User avatar
ruleser
Posts: 870
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:41 am

Re: My wife makes 110k, 27 years old and wants to go to Law sch

Postby ruleser » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:17 am

Actually had one more thought for OP:

I know these days we are supposed to decide what we want and take a leap on credit hoping it pays off down the road, but I think that philosophy has shown it's flaws across the board (mortgages, credit cards, school debt, etc)

The way things were before we changed to be like this, people would decide what they want, make a savings plan - that might even take some years - and then when they are in position, do it. Your wife's 110K salary is enough to both cover living and put some in the bank. If you work also, everything you earn can be in the bank. If you two plan and work as a team, you can live cheaply for the next couple of years, save madly, and then in a couple/few years have enough money in the bank to do law school without a bunch of debt - as well as have built up resumes and have ridden out the bad econ (or realized it's not getting better and so keep your jobs)

This is essentially what I've done this past year, put off LS last year, put a bunch of $$ in the bank, and I tell you it makes the decision for you. When you have, say, $30K+ saved up as opposed to nothing, the world is a different place, and decisions become easier. You two have a great chance, still young enough, good income, similar goals. You could hit a homerun with some proper planning and patience.

User avatar
thuggishruggishbone
Posts: 87
Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:53 pm

Re: My wife makes 110k, 27 years old and wants to go to Law sch

Postby thuggishruggishbone » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:24 am

110k to give up for 3 years is a hell of an opportunity cost for law school. I wouldn't risk losing a good job like that. Don't go to law school (unless maybe you get into a top 14).

User avatar
thuggishruggishbone
Posts: 87
Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:53 pm

Re: My wife makes 110k, 27 years old and wants to go to Law sch

Postby thuggishruggishbone » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:31 am

SteelReserve wrote:OP, can your wife even list the reasons she wants to go to law school and make a good case for why she wants to go?

The vast majority of people working in big firms hate it, and many if not most private practitioners hate it as well. The people that tend to like their jobs in the law work for government, non profits or in the judiciary like perma-clerks.

Obviously going to law school will very likely be a financial loser for her, so the only rational argument is that she has some passionate, well-thought out reason for becoming a lawyer at 30. So she needs to be able to describe what lawyers do day to day, evaluate if she likes legal research and writing, likes long hours, etc. Some nagging desire to "be a lawyer since I was a kid" is a ridiculous justification for going to school for anyone, let alone someone who is making bank at a young age and excelling in their field of work.


This. Heck, I wanted to be a rock star since I was little, but you gotta be realistic.

bigben
Posts: 703
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: My wife makes 110k, 27 years old and wants to go to Law sch

Postby bigben » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:34 am

OMG

I just hope all these people leaving six figure jobs have somehow managed to go see what practicing law is like...and know that most people only last a few years in biglaw...and know that partnership chances are slim to none.

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: My wife makes 110k, 27 years old and wants to go to Law sch

Postby A'nold » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:41 am

Borhas wrote:
itsmytime10 wrote:i originally started this in the wrong forum:

I start Law school this fall and my wife who has an MBA in finance making 110k is also thinking about going next year. considering the fact that she is 27 and has room to make much more, is this even an idea that she shd entertain?

She likes her job and mainly wants to go because she has wanted to be lawyer. We dont have so much money saved.

nice wife dude


Didn't he tell you that she is a 2 on the looks scale?

itsmytime10
Posts: 162
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:37 am

Re: My wife makes 110k, 27 years old and wants to go to Law sch

Postby itsmytime10 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:54 am

A'nold wrote:
Borhas wrote:
itsmytime10 wrote:i originally started this in the wrong forum:

I start Law school this fall and my wife who has an MBA in finance making 110k is also thinking about going next year. considering the fact that she is 27 and has room to make much more, is this even an idea that she shd entertain?

She likes her job and mainly wants to go because she has wanted to be lawyer. We dont have so much money saved.

nice wife dude


Didn't he tell you that she is a 2 on the looks scale?


Honestly, she is a 10 on that scale.

bigben
Posts: 703
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: My wife makes 110k, 27 years old and wants to go to Law sch

Postby bigben » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:55 am

I will say something for law though. For these unfortunate people who have an itch that they just cannot cure, I think law will cure it. No more itch.

To quote the funniest article I have ever read:

"...you might feel that law school is for you. Lie down for a while until the feeling goes away. If it doesn't go away, prepare yourself for the consequences."

Read the rest here: --LinkRemoved--

itsmytime10
Posts: 162
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:37 am

Re: My wife makes 110k, 27 years old and wants to go to Law sch

Postby itsmytime10 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:13 am

bigben wrote:I will say something for law though. For these unfortunate people who have an itch that they just cannot cure, I think law will cure it. No more itch.

To quote the funniest article I have ever read:

"...you might feel that law school is for you. Lie down for a while until the feeling goes away. If it doesn't go away, prepare yourself for the consequences."

Read the rest here: --LinkRemoved--


lololol..this is soo funny..

User avatar
PDaddy
Posts: 2073
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:40 am

Re: My wife makes 110k, 27 years old and wants to go to Law sch

Postby PDaddy » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:23 am

itsmytime10 wrote:i originally started this in the wrong forum:

I start Law school this fall and my wife who has an MBA in finance making 110k is also thinking about going next year. considering the fact that she is 27 and has room to make much more, is this even an idea that she shd entertain?

She likes her job and mainly wants to go because she has wanted to be lawyer. We dont have so much money saved.


Dude, let her go to school! The money will come..."and you too can be a high paid pimp". lol. :wink:

kosherboy2
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:29 am

Re: My wife makes 110k, 27 years old and wants to go to Law sch

Postby kosherboy2 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:01 am

i would say she should go...(btw are both u and your wife reading this or just u) and if money is that crucial, then maybe she could wait a year or two and enter law school about the same time you leave it.

User avatar
danquayle
Posts: 1108
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:12 am

Re: My wife makes 110k, 27 years old and wants to go to Law sch

Postby danquayle » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:46 am

itsmytime10 wrote:From OP's wife: the reason I want to go to law school is simply because that was originally what I wanted to do however, a major in poli sci in undergrad was not going to pay much since I wanted to delay LS a few years after UG. I 2nd majored in Finance and ended up taking a job in that field after UG. Then my company had a generous MBA reimbursement program so I took advantage of that to get my MBA while climbing up the salary ladder in the process.

In the back of my mind, I always wanted to go back to LS and combine that with Finance for a corporate finance/legal type role but having second thoughts looking at the current economy and the possibility I might come out at the same level or slightly higher income but with a humongous debt :(

So to answer all your questions, basically want to go to LS to follow a dream.

Any advice??


Have you considered the possibility of having a lower income? That could easily happen. I know plenty of people who earn less money in their post law jobs than they were earning prior to law school. Granted, maybe they may earn more in the long run... but you seem to be on a pretty strong track already.

ViIIager
Posts: 128
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:09 pm

Re: My wife makes 110k, 27 years old and wants to go to Law sch

Postby ViIIager » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:08 am

I know I said it before, but I just want to reiterate:

Part-time law school means you get to keep her current income.


Tell your wife to look into keeping her job and going to a local school. I'm making six figures and my wife/kids are dependent on my income, so I chose part-time law school so I could keep my job and income. The whole cost-benefit analysis involving opportunity cost becomes moot (though expect to sacrifice all of her free time for three or four years). Yes, that probably limits her options to local schools which may not be as highly rated Yale, Harvard, or Stanford, but that may not matter if she "just wants to try a different career". If you're in a major city, that'd make things easy--for example DC has a plethora of options spread across the rankings, as does NYC.

As a sidenote, Jesus, are all of us in the IT field going to law school to see if a career change is a good idea? I've seen four IT people in this thread already.

SBimmer
Posts: 47
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: My wife makes 110k, 27 years old and wants to go to Law sch

Postby SBimmer » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:17 am

ViIIager wrote:
As a sidenote, Jesus, are all of us in the IT field going to law school to see if a career change is a good idea? I've seen four IT people in this thread already.


Great minds think alike. I'm going PT in the DC area.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest