My wife makes 110k, 27 years old and wants to go to Law sch

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
itsmytime10

My wife makes 110k, 27 years old and wants to go to Law sch

Postby itsmytime10 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:37 pm

i originally started this in the wrong forum:

I start Law school this fall and my wife who has an MBA in finance making 110k is also thinking about going next year. considering the fact that she is 27 and has room to make much more, is this even an idea that she shd entertain?

She likes her job and mainly wants to go because she has wanted to be lawyer. We dont have so much money saved.

nowinGA

Re: My wife makes 110k, 27 years old and wants to go to Law sch

Postby nowinGA » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:57 pm

itsmytime10 wrote:i originally started this in the wrong forum:

I start Law school this fall and my wife who has an MBA in finance making 110k is also thinking about going next year. considering the fact that she is 27 and has room to make much more, is this even an idea that she shd entertain?

She likes her job and mainly wants to go because she has wanted to be lawyer. We dont have so much money saved.

You only live once. She should do what she wants. You will make it work. It's only money, right?

crazycanuck

Postby crazycanuck » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:01 pm

Why is she not in the kitchen making you sandwhiches?

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:01 pm

what are her stats? I would say no for a lower ranked school, but if she can get T14 or T6 it becomes a reasonable decision. From a strictly financial point of view, it is probably bad, but when balancing that with her career goals an elite law school could make sense.

Oblomov

Postby Oblomov » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:01 pm

Not a chance in hell.

BaiAilian2013

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:05 pm

nowinGA wrote:You only live once. She should do what she wants. You will make it work. It's only money, right?

+1
If she really wants to be a lawyer, she should do that now, not later/never.

Postby 20121109 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:10 pm

Is she the primary breadwinner? What exactly is your occupation? If she can get into a great school, she should attend whilst you continue to bring in that mula. Why not let her follow her dreams?

EDIT: Forget it. RC Fail. You're going to law school :oops:

quickquestionthanks

Postby quickquestionthanks » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:18 pm

--ImageRemoved--

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:20 pm

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:Is she the primary breadwinner? What exactly is your occupation? If she can get into a great school, she should attend whilst you continue to bring in that mula. Why not let her follow her dreams?

Recipe for jealousy? Or gloating? For both maybe? LOLWUT

gossipgirl

Postby gossipgirl » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:22 pm

If it's something she wants to do, then she should definitely go to law school. As long as she knows she A. Will not get more money out of it and B. Will not get more job security out of it, then I don't see what the problem is.

nickwar

Postby nickwar » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:24 pm

You better beg her to change her mind. Instead of living for free off of her $110k you'll be instead further saddled with her LS debt.

Your easy life is gonna' go downhill fast unless you act fast!

fortissimo

Postby fortissimo » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:29 pm

Honestly, I would do as much as I can to dissuade my spouse from leaving that job (better job with probably more money and better hours) for law school.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:30 pm

Tell her no
Sleep on couch
No sex sucks

Postby 20121109 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:32 pm

prezidentv8 wrote:
GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:Is she the primary breadwinner? What exactly is your occupation? If she can get into a great school, she should attend whilst you continue to bring in that mula. Why not let her follow her dreams?

lol...I guess what I tried to say, yet failed so eloquently, was that if she does choose to pursue law at this time what are you two going to do for money if you're both in school? OP said they don't have much money saved...do you have another source of income to sustain both of you?

thequest

Postby thequest » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:33 pm

crazycanuck wrote:Why is she not in the kitchen making you sandwhiches?

+1

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:34 pm

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:
prezidentv8 wrote:

lol...I guess what I tried to say, yet failed so eloquently, was that if she does choose to pursue law at this time what are you two going to do for money if you're both in school? OP said they don't have much money saved...do you have another source of income to sustain both of you?

Sorry I was just screwing around :mrgreen:

itsmytime10

Postby itsmytime10 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:38 pm

prezidentv8 wrote:

Well, it will mainly be living off student loans if she decides to go too. She is not doing too well in her practice exams so a T14 is probably not going to happen but there is always chance considering her MBA and WE.

Postby 20121109 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:42 pm

itsmytime10 wrote:
prezidentv8 wrote:

Well, it will mainly be living off student loans if she decides to go too. She is not doing too well in her practice exams so a T14 is probably not going to happen but there is always chance considering her MBA and WE.

At what score range is she practicing? One can always improve on the LSAT so don't discard the possibility of a T14 just yet. Does she have any idea which school she wants to attend? I'm guessing one that's at least close by to your law school, right?

legends159

Postby legends159 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:45 pm

just talk to her about career prospects and what is economically sound for the both of you. Then maybe ask if she'd be willing to forgo law school unless she got into x ranked schools. Then try to convince her to only apply to those x ranked schools. If she applies and gets dinged by them all you guys can move on.

I wouldn't give up the 110K/yr job for anything shy of a T10...definitely T5 ITE.

quickquestionthanks

Postby quickquestionthanks » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:47 pm

legends159 wrote:just talk to her about career prospects and what is economically sound for the both of you. Then maybe ask if she'd be willing to forgo law school unless she got into x ranked schools. Then try to convince her to only apply to those x ranked schools. If she applies and gets dinged by them all you guys can move on.

That is a dangerous move. That's putting contingencies on her life plan, saying 'you have to be this good to do what you want.' I would just ask her if she would wait until you've finished school and are working.

legends159

Postby legends159 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:49 pm

quickquestionthanks wrote:
legends159 wrote:just talk to her about career prospects and what is economically sound for the both of you. Then maybe ask if she'd be willing to forgo law school unless she got into x ranked schools. Then try to convince her to only apply to those x ranked schools. If she applies and gets dinged by them all you guys can move on.

That is a dangerous move. That's putting contingencies on her life plan, saying 'you have to be this good to do what you want.' I would just ask her if she would wait until you've finished school and are working.

it's a discussion not a demand. Marriage = "us" not you and me. He has every right in discussing her future career moves and she does with his. Most of the time it's about negotiation.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:54 pm

itsmytime10 wrote:i originally started this in the wrong forum:

nice wife dude

quickquestionthanks

Postby quickquestionthanks » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:00 pm

legends159 wrote:
quickquestionthanks wrote:

it's a discussion not a demand. Marriage = "us" not you and me. He has every right in discussing her future career moves and she does with his. Most of the time it's about negotiation.

It could still blow up in his face. Rational or not.

Herb Watchfell

Postby Herb Watchfell » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:02 pm

She has her MBA, now it's your turn. Tell her no.

TCScrutinizer

Postby TCScrutinizer » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:30 am

Dude... hell no.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”