19WUSTL$$$ vs. 14GULC Sticker Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Emboss

New

Re: 19WUSTL$$$ vs. 14GULC Sticker

Post by Emboss » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:11 am

The area around Wash U is definitely not the St. Louis crime areas to the north and east. It's actually very beautiful. Drive around Clayton and Forest Park and you will see what I mean.

--Attending Wash U over a T14 offer and very, very happy with my choice.

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:13 am

Emboss wrote:The area around Wash U is definitely not the St. Louis crime areas to the north and east. It's actually very beautiful. Drive around Clayton and Forest Park and you will see what I mean.

--Attending Wash U over a T14 offer and very, very happy with my choice.
so should I take the train in or rent a car for my visit Tuesday? from the airport.

Emboss

New

Post by Emboss » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:20 am

The train is obviously way cheaper and picks up at the airport. If you use it, take it to the Central West End (the hospital, Barnes-Jewish, is a top 10 hospital in the United States, since you are interested). Walk north when you get off of the train stop and just look around the CWE. It's a phenomenal place to live and most law students live in that area for $400-800. A lot of law students live in the high rises that overlook Forest Park. Those are large places and cost around $700 I believe.

After looking around the CWE, walk around Forest Park. A lot of people highly, highly recommend the zoo, but just walking around will give you an idea of the park.

You can also take the metro to Wash U from the airport if you prefer to do that.

Renting a car may be worth it. Assuming you will be living in the CWE, drive down Lindell Ave towards Wash U. When I first did that, I was stunned, since people gave me horror stories about St. Louis crime. The area around Wash U and Forest Park defy St. Louis stereotypes--that's for sure. Also, there are quite a few mansions just west of Wash U towards the Clayton, MO end if you want to live there. It's quieter. If you're not the going out type, you may wish to live there. It's equally beautiful.

Basically, do not listen to people bad-mouthing St Louis. They've clearly either never been to Wash U or else quote statistics pertaining to regions that do not affect Wash U students in the least. My classmates and I tend to be extremely happy with our decision to attend Wash U. The atmosphere at this law school is upbeat and the reputation is improving dramatically under our new strong leadership.

Hope to see you here in the fall!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”