Predict the Rest of My Cycle

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Predict the Rest of My Cycle (Check if you think I'll get in) Leave WL in comments

Fordham
31%
Columbia (already on reserve)
1%
Cornell
15%
Duke
6%
NYU
3%
U Chicago
1%
UCLA
17%
U Penn
5%
Vanderbilt
22%

Total votes: 101

musicfor18

Predict the Rest of My Cycle

Postby musicfor18 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:21 am

Here are the schools I've yet to hear from. Would be fun to get your predictions on decisions from these schools. My numbers are 167/3.7. Here are my softs:

- Masters degree in music (from #1 ranked school in USNWR)
- 5 years work experience in arts administration , including managing budget of institution with $1.6M budget.
-Study and research in southeast Asia
-Teaching Fellowship throughout undergrad and grad
-Teaching Assistant Prize during graduate school
-Educational outreach and workshops through music
-Musical performances around the world
-Faculty at university
-Visiting faculty at Cornell and Denison Universities
-Record producer on two commercial labels (Nonesuch and Cantaloupe)
Last edited by musicfor18 on Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dostoevsky

Re: Predict the Rest of My Cycle

Postby Dostoevsky » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:22 am

you want to poll for...?

lawschooliseasy

Postby lawschooliseasy » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:23 am

musicfor18 wrote:Here are the schools I've yet to hear from. Would be fun to get your predictions on decisions from these schools. My numbers are 167/3.7, with a masters degree and more than 5 years work experience. Non-URM.

At this point out at all, but waitlist at Fordham, UCLA and Cornell.

musicfor18

Postby musicfor18 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:24 am

Dostoevsky wrote:you want to poll for...?

Poll for whether I'll get into each school. Thanks.

musicfor18

Postby musicfor18 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:25 am

lawschooliseasy wrote:
musicfor18 wrote:Here are the schools I've yet to hear from. Would be fun to get your predictions on decisions from these schools. My numbers are 167/3.7, with a masters degree and more than 5 years work experience. Non-URM.

Not even waitlist at Vanderbilt, you think?

lawschooliseasy

Postby lawschooliseasy » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:29 am

musicfor18 wrote:
lawschooliseasy wrote:

Quite possibly. Depends when you applied. You're below one median and at the other. At this point in the cycle I'd guess that means out.

musicfor18

Postby musicfor18 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:34 am

lawschooliseasy wrote:
musicfor18 wrote:
lawschooliseasy wrote:

Quite possibly. Depends when you applied. You're below one median and at the other. At this point in the cycle I'd guess that means out.

Yeah, I applied kind of late. It's really too bad. I would love Vanderbilt (or UCLA or Cornell)!

musicfor18

Postby musicfor18 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:58 am

Sober answers only, please! I have a feeling whoever said I'll get into Duke had just come home from a Saturday night drinking binge.

tinman

Postby tinman » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:06 am

Shouldn't you have an option for none of the above? Otherwise, you will only get a sense of the your chances at the schools relative to each other, which of course, will basically recapitulate the USNEWS rankings.

Poll creation fail.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:06 am

Master's degree in_________?
Five years work experience in what field?

Ragged

Postby Ragged » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:11 pm

You should apply to more T30 schools than that.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:14 pm

I guess you get into Fordham... Vandy and UCLA... good chance

the others are long shots

good luck

musicfor18

Postby musicfor18 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:23 pm

Ragged wrote:You should apply to more T30 schools than that.

I applied to many more schools than this. Hence the title "Predict the REST of my cycle."

Puffy

Postby Puffy » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:24 pm

None of the above.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:30 pm

Without more information, any opinions are just guesswork unless any of the law schools to which you applied only requested your LSAT score & numerical undergraduate GPA.

Ragged

Postby Ragged » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:33 pm

musicfor18 wrote:
Ragged wrote:You should apply to more T30 schools than that.

I applied to many more schools than this. Hence the title "Predict the REST of my cycle."

Ah well, good for you.

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:19 pm

Damn. I think you could have gotten into NU Law. Especially with 5 years experience. I hear they love work experience.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:30 pm

W/L at Fordham, Vandy, UCLA

musicfor18

Postby musicfor18 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:31 pm

motiontodismiss wrote:Damn. I think you could have gotten into NU Law. Especially with 5 years experience. I hear they love work experience.

Yeah, I didn't apply to Northwestern. I missed the boat on their whole interview process and decided that my chances of getting in without an interview were very low. That's one of my regrets, though. I should have applied.

musicfor18

Postby musicfor18 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:32 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Without more information, any opinions are just guesswork unless any of the law schools to which you applied only requested your LSAT score & numerical undergraduate GPA.

I'm pretty sure that, even with more detailed information, you'd still essentially be making a guess....nevertheless, I've added more details to my original post.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:33 pm

Actually above 80% of Northwestern University law students matriculate with at least 2 years of work experience. This, and the "required" interview, is a significant factor in Northwestern's generous admissions rate percentage as many recent undergrads are hesitant to apply & many already gainfully employed are reluctant to leave a good job in a weak economy. The combination of maturity & intellect in such a dynamic setting makes law school a much better experience for the more well developed student.
NU law school profile brings to mind an element missing from most law school forums--suitability of the law school for a particular student. For example, I am independent, like to work alone, do not enjoy group pojects & treasure my alone time so I would have been a poor fit for Northwestern University's School of Law because it encourages teamwork. I suspect that ultra competitive gunner types might also find Northwestern law to be inappropriate & might fit in better at NYU. If I were applying to law school, there are only three or four Top 14 law schools at which I would make a good fit.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:55 pm

Interesting profile. Based on your expanded information shared in the opening post, my guess is that you will be accepted to all of the listed schools.
As an aside, is it true that all music master's degree candidates attend tuition free in Yale's & Northwestern's Schools of Music?

whitman

Postby whitman » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:00 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Actually above 80% of Northwestern University law students matriculate with at least 2 years of work experience. This, and the "required" interview, is a significant factor in Northwestern's generous admissions rate percentage as many recent undergrads are hesitant to apply & many already gainfully employed are reluctant to leave a good job in a weak economy. The combination of maturity & intellect in such a dynamic setting makes law school a much better experience for the more well developed student.
NU law school profile brings to mind an element missing from most law school forums--suitability of the law school for a particular student. For example, I am independent, like to work alone, do not enjoy group pojects & treasure my alone time so I would have been a poor fit for Northwestern University's School of Law because it encourages teamwork. I suspect that ultra competitive gunner types might also find Northwestern law to be inappropriate & might fit in better at NYU. If I were applying to law school, there are only three or four Top 14 law schools at which I would make a good fit.

I'm curious as to which schools you mean, and why? Obviously this is personal to you, but I'd like to hear more about your perceptions of law school cultures. I know the basics - UVA is for beer drinking and softball, NU is older - but that's about it.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:43 pm

Some of the very best law school profiles that I have ever read are on this website--TOP-LAW-SCHOOLS.com. Read the profile for the University of Illinois Law School & Northwestern University School of Law. Illinois is definitely not for me. NU is not as good a match, although I have strong interest in writing for one of their journals, while Yale, Stanford, Chicago & Berkeley would probably tolerate & accommodate my very, strong independent personality.
NYU is rumored to be cut-throat competitive, definitely not for me as I am quite hard on myself naturally & prefer to be challenged in other ways. Columbia has a strong international prescence & outlook, aspects that are attractive to me. Georgetown & GWU first year class sizes are too large & impersonal for my taste & needs.
My point is that if you know yourself, then it is much easier to select law schools which are most suitable.
My son has a very different personality than I. Northwestern University School of Law is a perfect match for his interests & personality. If accepted to every accredited law school, the choice would be quite clear & easy for him. Any other law school--other than NU--would, at best, come in at a distant second. He needs an urban environment, whereas I would do quite well at Alabama, Stanford, Iowa or Texas.
As a fiercely independent individual, I would benefit greatly from having a prestigious law school diploma & top law review/journal credentials behind my name as I will never benefit from a large firm name or the power & prestige of working for the U.S. Attorney's office.
I was a very competitive athlete, but , other than football, did not enjoy team sports. Wrestling, boxing, weightlifting, tennis & distance running--all individual activities-- are/were my strenghths athletically, while my son prefers team sports such as soccer & football. Some law schools emphasize teamwork--Duke & Northwestern, for example--while others are heavily focused on the individual--Yale, for example.

musicfor18

Postby musicfor18 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:33 pm

Well, it's interesting to see how much everyone's opinions changes when I listed my "softs!" I'm afraid that I may have been too modest in regard to these factors in my applications. Everything was listed in my resume, but I didn't make an effort to really call attention to them to the degree that I perhaps should have. Do you think I should send an additional letter (even before getting a decision) expressing my continued interest and calling attention to these accomplishments/experiences?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”