U Conn full ride vs BC ticket?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
undec

U Conn full ride vs BC ticket?

Postby undec » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:39 am

It's killin me... whaddya think?

BC was my first choice. man.

Jules Winnfield

Re: U Conn full ride vs BC ticket?

Postby Jules Winnfield » Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:18 am

It depends on what you value more.

If you're debt averse and don't want to be burdened by it when you graduate from law school, go to UConn.

If you want the better school with a national reputation, go to BC.

They both feed into the New England area. UConn dominates the CT market (after Yale, of course) while BC has Harvard and BU. If you go to either school, you'll be fine for employment in New England.

It's down to what you value more: financial responsibility or prestige. Tough choice but there's no wrong answer here!

Best of luck on your decision.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:25 am

I'd be at UConn before you could say.......UConn.

undec

Postby undec » Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:32 pm

thanks for the opines... anyone else?

texaspecial88

Postby texaspecial88 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:37 pm

do you want biglaw?

undec

Postby undec » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:36 am

re: <<do you want biglaw?>>

I assume the impliction is: yes = BC.

It's a tough question. I would probably say yes if I weren't presently both a professional, familiar with the pressure for billable hours, and also a father, familiar with the opposed need for "balance."

So, I wouldn't want to rule it out, but it's not necessarily my goal. Perhaps for some years for the experience, prior to moving on to something else.... or if it's in my field (environmental), it just might be rewarding.

Aristone

Postby Aristone » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:40 pm

As someone who went to BC and loved it....go with UConn. BC without a single dollar is like giving yourself (at most) a 33% chance of success. The economy is dismal and there are plenty of Harvard grads without work. If you truly want to be a lawyer and aren't going for the money...go to UConn. If you do have any specific questions about BC, feel free to ask.

undec

Postby undec » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:12 pm

thanks aristone - even if i intend to move to boston after JD?

was OCI terrible this year?

were BC students finding summer interns?

texaspecial88

Postby texaspecial88 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:19 pm

Aristone wrote:As someone who went to BC and loved it....go with UConn. BC without a single dollar is like giving yourself (at most) a 33% chance of success. The economy is dismal and there are plenty of Harvard grads without work. If you truly want to be a lawyer and aren't going for the money...go to UConn. If you do have any specific questions about BC, feel free to ask.

naawwww

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:20 pm

Jules Winnfield wrote:It depends on what you value more.

If you're debt averse and don't want to be burdened by it when you graduate from law school, go to UConn.

If you want the better school with a national reputation, go to BC.

They both feed into the New England area. UConn dominates the CT market (after Yale, of course) while BC has Harvard and BU. If you go to either school, you'll be fine for employment in New England.

It's down to what you value more: financial responsibility or prestige. Tough choice but there's no wrong answer here!

Best of luck on your decision.

I would pretty confidently say that BC would kill UConn in Connecticut. BC places about 60% into New England, but only 40% into Boston. The other 20% go to places like CT and do really well.

BUT - sticker is really really tough to justify....

jay115

Postby jay115 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:00 pm

Have you visited both schools? I've never been to UConn, but I LOVED BC. It was the perfect mix of suburban quiet and proximity to an awesome metropolitan city.

When I visited UCLA, I was sold. I think after seeing the campus and talking to students/faculty/administrators, you might come to the same realization as to which school is the better fit for you.

Aristone

Postby Aristone » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:55 pm

Ok...so my 33% probably was actually high. I'd say more like 20% in this economy. OCi was terrible for every school this year and I know schools in the BC/BU/ND/GW bracket got hit hard. That being said, those schools place considerably more in biglaw than UConn. However, do not underestimate the effects of taking out 120k+ in loans. It's not a gamble that I'd be willing to take right now, given the current state of the economy.

If you are fully committed to Boston and absolutely want a shot (no matter how small) at biglaw...or if you're wealthy...I'd say go BC. It's a great school, but paying sticker is even dicey at the lower T14.

GobiasIndustries

Postby GobiasIndustries » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:13 pm

I'm not looking at full ride vs. sticker, but UConn is going to be a lot cheaper for me than BC. However, there are a lot of reasons that are more important to me than debt for why I'm going to take BC. I've been living and working in Boston for 2 years (personal + professional network), my SO lives here, I like the feel of the school better, and I think BC will give me more flexibility with job options upon graduating, seeing that it has a better reputation nationally.

That said, it's a personal choice, ultimately. I'm biased because I ended up picking the "wrong" undergrad, basing my choice on very temporary factors instead of looking long-term. I still went to a good school, but I was young and first-gen college and naive and turned down like, #1's. It haunts me constantly, and I couldn't do that to myself again.

Jules Winnfield wrote:UConn dominates the CT market (after Yale, of course) while BC has Harvard and BU.

Just FWIW, I don't think many Yale grads stay in CT, or Harvards in MA. From speaking with alumni and people in the field, I get the sense that UConn dominates CT, and that BU/BC co-dominate Boston. So you'll be well-positioned to work in either place at their respective schools. Getting a job in Boston (if that's what you want) is going to be much harder from UConn.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”