Santa Clara VS Miami

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Miami or Santa Clara

Miami
67%
Santa Clara
33%

Total votes: 15

Joy_Deknarak

Santa Clara VS Miami

Postby Joy_Deknarak » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:29 am

Hi, guys
Can you please help me? I read about law schools for like 4-5 days now (not doing anything else, but still can't decide)

I'm having a very hard time choosing between Santa Clara and U Miami.
(let's take out any tuition or those academic related money issue away)

I don't have an technical background so I am not sure whether IP laws and high tech laws is suitable for me or not? Is it true that it is a lot harder to find the job if you don't have technical background?

My priority interest is about **job perspective** I don't expect a BIG job that paid 100000+ or anything but I want at least to GET some decent JOB when I graduated- -" I don't have any problem living at anywhere or doesn't prefer the campus any over another too.

Is the law market in Miami big enough? For me, it seems that if I don't do IP law, there's no need to go to Santa Clara. and Miami, given that it is somewhat a business city also, they should have some job for me.

My interest in law is swinging around corporate law, business law, ...those kind of tax...maybe? (I am Econ BA and MA major) Is those kind of law area have some future if I go to work in another country outside USA?

Thank you for all answers!

gwuorbust

Re: Santa Clara VS Miami

Postby gwuorbust » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:02 pm

is retaking the LSAT possible ?

also, w/o a technical background getting an IP job will be next to impossible.

if you are set on deciding between these two schools I would say Miami b/c while it may have a somewhat smaller market, in Miami there is pretty good dedication to Miami grads (tho going to UF would obv be a much btr choice if possible). Santa Clara has good income stats but rmbr 1. that was precrash and 2. IP pays well, which I do not believe you would be in the running for. Therefore, do not believe their stats about 110k starting pay or whatever the fuck they say it is.

plus, Miami is fun :lol:

Norwood

Postby Norwood » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:35 pm

Silicon Valley has a ton of businesses that continuously conduct business transactions such as contracts, mergers&acquisitions, public offerings, etc. so SCU is definitely not just limited to IP. However, there is a lot of competition in the bay area for these jobs with Stanford, Boalt, and Hastings being just a few miles away.

darknightbegins

Postby darknightbegins » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:06 am

In Miami it seems Miami grads do at least as well as Florida grads. Likely the more north you go the worst it gets as you run into FSU and UF territory.

I'd probably head to Miami. Florida isn't a bankrupt state and they have no state income tax. Miami is a fun city to live in and you probably have less competition there than at Santa Clara.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:57 am

darknightbegins wrote:In Miami it seems Miami grads do at least as well as Florida grads. Likely the more north you go the worst it gets as you run into FSU and UF territory.

I'd probably head to Miami. Florida isn't a bankrupt state and they have no state income tax. Miami is a fun city to live in and you probably have less competition there than at Santa Clara.

+1

Stanford isn't right in the neighborhood.

Joy_Deknarak

Postby Joy_Deknarak » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:06 am

Thank you guys.

My mind now is heading toward SCU because I found that the class offered there are much more specific than those of Miami (at Miami, I think they offered kinda general class)

I am aiming to do some high tech law, media law, internet law something like that. I won't go much into patent, or anything that NEED technical background. I think I can do some high tech aspect of law without technical background, can't I?

There are much more to learn like media law, entertainment law??

and I think although there are a lot of schools in the market in CA, isn't that because the market are big? and they demands people. That's why school supplies it?

Can't SCU get any moderate or decent job in CA at all? I'm not picky in job -_-

darknightbegins

Postby darknightbegins » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:53 pm

Joy_Deknarak wrote:Thank you guys.

My mind now is heading toward SCU because I found that the class offered there are much more specific than those of Miami (at Miami, I think they offered kinda general class)

I am aiming to do some high tech law, media law, internet law something like that. I won't go much into patent, or anything that NEED technical background. I think I can do some high tech aspect of law without technical background, can't I?

There are much more to learn like media law, entertainment law??

and I think although there are a lot of schools in the market in CA, isn't that because the market are big? and they demands people. That's why school supplies it?

Can't SCU get any moderate or decent job in CA at all? I'm not picky in job -_-

The market is big but you are also dealing with some outstanding schools as well as some that are a bit below Santa Clara. Competition is rough in that state when you have Stanford, UCLA, USC, Davis, Hastings, now Irvine if the pub is right about it as well as lesser schools like San Fran and San Diego as well as the McGeorge's of the world. Likely Cali is also a big destination for the T14 people from around the country. So you are looking at a LOT of competition. Miami is a big enough market and the U has some nice run there.

But it is your dollar.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”