Help Me Choose a School!!

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

School Selection

Willamette - $8k/yr scholarship
No votes
Northern Kentucky - $16k/yr scholarship (w/metro discount, total tuition = 8k/yr)
No votes
Valparaiso - Sticker
No votes
New England Law - Sticker
No votes
Thomas Jefferson - $8k/yr scholarship (going part-time makes tuition = $18k/yr)
No votes
Charlotte Law - $6k/yr scholarship
No votes
Florida Coastal - $10k/yr scholarship
No votes

Total votes: 0

sneakpreview

Help Me Choose a School!!

Postby sneakpreview » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:08 pm

My background: 29, MBA in Sports Management from San Diego State, B.A. from the University of San Diego. I have a well-paying job in insurance, it's just not what I want to do long term.

I've lived in San Diego for 10 years, with a brief stint in Portland. I am not tied down to working/living in any particular area of the country. I realize they are all regional though, just want to make sure I pick a school for the right reason. Assuming I don't get in to USD, I think Willamette makes the most sense. Thoughts?
Last edited by sneakpreview on Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sneakpreview

Re: Please vote, thanks!

Postby sneakpreview » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:04 pm

Please help me choose, thanks!

singingvontrapp

Re: Please vote, thanks!

Postby singingvontrapp » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:08 pm

I have to admit, I have not heard of any of these schools. I've heard of Thomas Jefferson the person, but that's about it.

sneakpreview

Help Me Decide! Please Vote!

Postby sneakpreview » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:12 pm

singingvontrapp wrote:I have to admit, I have not heard of any of these schools. I've heard of Thomas Jefferson the person, but that's about it.

Thomas Jefferson is in San Diego (where I live), but it's the bottom of 3 schools. The advantage is I could work full-time, and San Diego is a top 10 legal market. I'm still leaning towards Willamette.

sneakpreview

Help Me Decide! Please Vote!

Postby sneakpreview » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:02 pm

Please vote, thanks!

Grizz

Re: Can't Decide -Please Help!

Postby Grizz » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:07 pm

Because job prospects are fairly not good from any of these schools, go to wherever's cheapest.

sneakpreview

Postby sneakpreview » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:07 pm

Rad Law, I tend to agree with you.

I'm interested in sports & environmental law, which Willamette has. It also has low cost of living, and I used to live in Portland. Thomas Jefferson holds some interest because I can work, but the ranking is awful. Willamette's roughly 50 rankings higher. Still can't decide...

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:00 pm

I'm not trying to be mean, but I don't know how much you know about law schools.

You realize these are are considered horribly bad Law Schools, and you are most likely to come out making between 35-40k if you get a job. Unless you can some how tie the JD into your old job/experience.

But a JD alone from one of those schools is NOT going to get you very far.

baboon309

Postby baboon309 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:06 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:I'm not trying to be mean, but I don't know how much you know about law schools.

You realize these are are considered horribly bad Law Schools, and you are most likely to come out making between 35-40k if you get a job. Unless you can some how tie the JD into your old job/experience.

Thomas Jefferson
The name sounds better!

holydonkey

Postby holydonkey » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:12 pm

Which state do you want to live in? Which of these law schools is in that state? Go to that law school.

sneakpreview

Postby sneakpreview » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:15 pm

I have done my research on law schools. I'm 29, and by adding a JD to go along with my MBA and work background, I find it hard to believe I'd only make $40k. I already make much more than that anyway, just don't love what I do. Not really aiming for big law or T20...

Thomas Jefferson offered me $6k/yr to go part-time, so about $50k in tuition debt. However, with my salary, my living expenses would be completely paid. I have a job that is uses my brain, just not sure if I could handle full-time work and school.

So, Willamette or Thomas Jefferson is what is boils down to, unless USD accepts me.

PoliticalJunkie

Postby PoliticalJunkie » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:19 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:I'm not trying to be mean, but I don't know how much you know about law schools.

Maybe for someone coming straight from undergrad but not for someone with work experience (save some specific industries)

OP, all of the schools would have comparable job prospects and prestige, or none. Rankings this low down the rankings is meaningless because all the schools you listed are virtually the same.

Agree with a poster above - go where it's cheapest and you have a program you like. Anything beyond that would just be a waste of research time.

FuManChusco

Postby FuManChusco » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:23 pm

sneakpreview wrote:I have done my research on law schools. I'm 29, and by adding a JD to go along with my MBA and work background, I find it hard to believe I'd only make $40k. I already make much more than that anyway, just don't love what I do. Not really aiming for big law or T20...

Thomas Jefferson offered me $6k/yr to go part-time, so about $50k in tuition debt. However, with my salary, my living expenses would be completely paid. I have a job that is uses my brain, just not sure if I could handle full-time work and school.

So, Willamette or Thomas Jefferson is what is boils down to, unless USD accepts me.

You shouldn't go to law school unless USD accepts you.

sneakpreview

Postby sneakpreview » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:28 am

Bump.

ram jam

Postby ram jam » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:37 am

I know that there is enough Flo Coast bashing... IMO, jacksonville is not a good town, and the legal market is dominated by UF/FSU. You don't want to end up in Jacksonville, esp with a Coastal degree. Choose a school with more regional reputation. Or keep your day job and go to a local law school p/t.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:47 am

Powerscore LSAT prep class.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”