Need A Little Help Deciding... Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which would you choose?

University of Arkansas (approx. total cost = 25k)
50%
Cleveland State University (approx. total cost = 45k)
6%
University of Louisville (approx. total cost = 90k)
31%
University of Buffalo (approx total cost = 70k)
13%
University of Indianapolis (unknown scholly)
No votes

Total votes: 16

doubled99

New

Need A Little Help Deciding...

Post by doubled99 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:19 pm

I need a little help from the boards! It doesn't matter much to me where I end up living. The only scholly that has restrictions is at the University of Arkansas, where I have to be in the top 20% to keep it after the first year. Any help is greatly appreciated!!
Last edited by doubled99 on Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

erniesto

Bronze

Re: Need A Little Help Deciding...

Post by erniesto » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:26 pm

I'm assuming total is the total scholarship.

If this assumption is correct, I'd take Louisville.

ozarkhack

Bronze

Post by ozarkhack » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:28 pm

Negotiate for looser restrictions (and more $) and go to UA.

I could be wrong since I don't know about the other schools, but UA would probably place better in its region than the others would in theirs. Each seems to have several more highly regarded schools close by.

Assuming you're not from Arkansas, here's what I know: The only real competition for Arkansas jobs that UA grads probably face are from UA-Little Rock and what top-school kids come back home. Fayetteville's a decent, cheap college town, and being in the lovely ... um ... Ozarks ... almost make up for the sprawlsville that is the rest of that part of the state. And when you graduate, you'll be well set up to get a gig in Little Rock (depending on the economy, etc.), which is a decent town that's crazy affordable.

erniesto

Bronze

Post by erniesto » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:33 pm

ozarkhack wrote:Negotiate for looser restrictions (and more $) and go to UA.
And when you graduate, you'll be well set up to get a gig in Little Rock (depending on the economy, etc.), which is not a decent town [strike]that's[/strike] so it's crazy affordable.
Fixed and emphasized for you.

70k extra isn't worth it.

ozarkhack

Bronze

Post by ozarkhack » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:09 pm

erniesto wrote:
ozarkhack wrote:Negotiate for looser restrictions (and more $) and go to UA.
And when you graduate, you'll be well set up to get a gig in Little Rock (depending on the economy, etc.), which is not a decent town [strike]that's[/strike] so it's crazy affordable.
Fixed and emphasized for you.

70k extra isn't worth it.
Guess it depends on what you're looking for. But note I said "decent town" and not "good city." Sure, Little Rock is certainly not a place where I want to spend decades of my life. But there are many worse fates, and it is very easy to carve out a good life in Little Rock (and not just in a porch-sittin', church-three-times-a-week way).

In any case ... Louisville would also be a good choice. OP should go to whichever allows him/her to snag in-state residency for 2L and 3L. If neither, it's worth noting that the overall tuition difference would actually be $26,000 upon graduation (based on tuition rates posted on TLS). ... Maybe that's still too much to favor Fayetteville/Little Rock over Louisville, but I still contend that UA grads are likely to face less competition for jobs (and, yes, b/c more people want to live in Louisville and surrounding than they do in Arkansas).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

doubled99

New

Post by doubled99 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:32 pm

The total next to each school name is the total 3 year cost of attending the school when I subtract out the offered scholarships. Sorry for any confusion.

darknightbegins

Silver

Post by darknightbegins » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:36 pm

Damn looks like Arkansas is the cheapest for you. I'd probably say there. That or I would go to Louisville. I wouldn't want to freeze my ass off in Indy and Cleveland is well...Cleveland.

ozarkhack

Bronze

Post by ozarkhack » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:44 pm

doubled99 wrote:The total next to each school name is the total 3 year cost of attending the school when I subtract out the offered scholarships. Sorry for any confusion.
Dang. Including COL?? That's a pretty good package you got from UA, then. Congrats.

If you have no apprehensions about living in Arkansas (and/or if you are marginally interested in outdoor stuff), then definitely get thee to Fayetteville and don't look back.

doubled99

New

Post by doubled99 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:19 pm

I wouldn't mind living in Arkansas at all, at least I think. I am leaving tomorrow to visit the school. I also like Cleveland State, but with the saturation of law schools in the state and living in, well, Cleveland, that sometimes speaks for itself.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

doubled99

New

Post by doubled99 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:05 pm

I am currently down here visiting the University of Arkansas for a few days and I am really liking what I am seeing/hearing. It seems that the faculty are really dedicated to the growth of the school and its students. Is there anything that anyone would have against UofA that I shold think over?

Also, what would be the best possible way to either negotiate off the top 20% requirement for the 2nd and 3rd years for my scholarship or to possibly get more $?

Any help is appreciated!

doubled99

New

Post by doubled99 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:43 am

bump

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”