Davis vs. BU vs. UW vs. UCLA waitlist

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

What should I do?!

Poll ended at Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:46 pm

UC Davis
50%
BU
13%
UW
19%
Try my best to get off UCLA waitlist
19%

Total votes: 16

oakclimber

Davis vs. BU vs. UW vs. UCLA waitlist

Postby oakclimber » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:46 pm

Hey guys,

This is my first post to TLS. I'm just wondering what people's thoughts are on my choices. I want to practice in California (probably northern California). I got some decent grant money from Davis, but know BU is a better ranked school and with the tuition hikes UW might end up being cheaper at the end of the three years. I also really like UCLA and got on the wait list but I'm unsure how likely it is I will get off the waitlist. My brain is spinning so any other thoughts are appreciated!

NayBoer

Re: Davis vs. BU vs. UW vs. UCLA waitlist

Postby NayBoer » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:50 pm

Davis over BU or UW for NorCal. Ranking is irrelevant; BU is for Boston, Davis is for N CA.

UW may be cheaper but it's not as good for your target market.

ViP

Postby ViP » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:57 pm

oakclimber wrote:Hey guys,

This is my first post to TLS. I'm just wondering what people's thoughts are on my choices. I want to practice in California (probably northern California). I got some decent grant money from Davis, but know BU is a better ranked school and with the tuition hikes UW might end up being cheaper at the end of the three years. I also really like UCLA and got on the wait list but I'm unsure how likely it is I will get off the waitlist. My brain is spinning so any other thoughts are appreciated!

My 2 cents...

If you know you want to work in California, I'd drop BU and UW.

Davis has a great reputation throughout California and you're golden if you want to work in Norcal (no interest in Hastings?).

UCLA would be great for you, but the waitlist is a waitlist. At UCLA, that means you might be waiting a very, very, very long time. In any case, you probably won't get any money from UCLA (and COL is much, much higher).

Since Davis is giving you money and it's got plenty of prestige in the region you want to work, I say Davis 100%.

jonas

Postby jonas » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:28 pm

I voted for the UCLA waitlist. Send a letter of continued interest. Have someone new send a letter of rec on your behalf. Visit. If you have connections to the school, now is the time to work them. Make it clear to UCLA that they're your first choice, you'll absolutely attend if admitted, etc.

If UCLA doesn't work out, I agree that Davis is the best option here.

oakclimber

Postby oakclimber » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:07 pm

Thanks for the help guys! You all bring up some good points. Yeah I thought about Hastings and got in, but I've lived in the Bay Area for a while now and I'm ready for a change. Also, not too into the idea of going to school in the Tenderloin. The quality of life at Davis is appealing. I think I'm going to see if I can get off the wait list for UCLA, but if it doesn't happen that's life. I need to put down a deposit at a school...so I definitely need another option.

I'd be curious to hear why some people voted for BU and UW...haven't heard any arguments in their favor yet. Looks like Davis is in the lead though (and honestly I'm kinda leaning towards Davis....).

ViP

Postby ViP » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:01 pm

oakclimber wrote:Thanks for the help guys! You all bring up some good points. Yeah I thought about Hastings and got in, but I've lived in the Bay Area for a while now and I'm ready for a change. Also, not too into the idea of going to school in the Tenderloin. The quality of life at Davis is appealing. I think I'm going to see if I can get off the wait list for UCLA, but if it doesn't happen that's life. I need to put down a deposit at a school...so I definitely need another option.

I'd be curious to hear why some people voted for BU and UW...haven't heard any arguments in their favor yet. Looks like Davis is in the lead though (and honestly I'm kinda leaning towards Davis....).

UW trolling ITT.

In no universe would UW be considered a better choice than Davis for California (let alone norcal).

BU is tempting because it's a T20, but it's really not as national as many would like it to be. You can't go wrong with Davis if you want California.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”