USC $$ or Vanderbilt $$

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

USC or Vanderbilt

USC (20k per year)
40%
Vanderbilt (24k per year)
60%

Total votes: 35

legalease9

USC $$ or Vanderbilt $$

Postby legalease9 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:10 pm

I'm interested in practicing law on either coast, but not really midwest/south. I also have interest in government law. I also want to ride some t14 waitlists (which USC forbids). Can anyone tell me more about the schools? How different will COL be for the two schools? Which has a better QOL? Thanks!

Notor

Re: USC $$ or Vanderbilt $$

Postby Notor » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:15 pm

You can answer all of your questions yourself with a minimum of internet research

sdv

Postby sdv » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:16 pm

much lower COL at Vandy. Can't speak to the QOL at USC, but QOL at Vandy is reported to be very high, as it lacks the cutthroat personalities that many other top schools have. USC is pretty much West Coast only, Vandy transports throughout the US much better than USC does. Other than the weather, or if you're set on California only or Entertainment Law, I don't see a good reason to pick USC.

rezipsa

Postby rezipsa » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:04 pm

sdv wrote:much lower COL at Vandy. Can't speak to the QOL at USC, but QOL at Vandy is reported to be very high, as it lacks the cutthroat personalities that many other top schools have. USC is pretty much West Coast only, Vandy transports throughout the US much better than USC does. Other than the weather, or if you're set on California only or Entertainment Law, I don't see a good reason to pick USC.

<---vandy student from socal

Nashville weather's pretty nice, just a little colder than in socal. there are a lot of entertainment law opportunities here too---think of the music industry here. entertainment and sports law society is pretty big and brings some really cool speakers here; good short courses too and career services def brings up a lot of ent law opportunities to 1 and 2L's.

Definitely check out Nashville...it's obv a smaller city than LA, but there's really quite a lot to do and places to see. I also find that the smaller city feel is also good for going to law school so that you don't get distracted. Oh yeah, and this city's a lot cheaper too. Think of the gas you'd be paying for commuting to downtown (unless you'd want to live in the hood or Cardinal Gardens or something)

bigchris1313

Postby bigchris1313 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:30 pm

rezipsa wrote:Oh yeah, and this city [Nashville] is a lot cheaper too. Think of the gas you'd be paying for commuting to downtown (unless you'd want to live in the hood or Cardinal Gardens or something)

As a student who did one year inside at USC undergrad before transferring, I can say only that living in the "hood" constitutes part of the charm of attending the University. I know SC students at the various grad schools have a tendency to live further away, but many still live down by campus. If nothing more, you are living in a neighborhood overrun by undergraduate coeds.

OP: If you don't know which coast you want to practice on, Vandy is probably the better choice--to say nothing of the lower COL and the better scholarship offer. If you fall in love with the West Coast in the near future, USC is probably the way to go.

legalease9

Postby legalease9 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:35 pm

Thank you for the info!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”